Wedge vs Iron Shafts in Wedges

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
I've been trying to sort this out over the last year or so, and rather than making guesses, I figure I'll just bring it to the forum and see what the crazy knowledgeable shaft guys think. Maybe in the meantime we can break a few myths as well.

So, Wedge shafts. DG Spinners.. KBS hi-rev, DG wedge, etc etc. Designed specifically for the wedge, and therefore, should be the most effective shafts in there, right?

For the entirety of 2012, I played the TaylorMade xFT wedges with KBS hi-rev and I hit them a mile. Generally speaking, I didn't have control issues, and while I could hit them very high, I could also bring them in low. For 2013, I switched to the DG s400 shafts in a heavier head, and it was a very poor experience. Lots of hoseled shots, distance issues, etc etc -- maybe it was a head that just didn't work for me, but it was a very rough go.

Now, I've got a set j40 wedges in the bag that have DG spinners. I find the distance to be solid, but not nearly as impressive as the xFT wedges with hi-rev. I can definitely see the value in wedge shafts in the wedges we play, but is it a make or break? I see people get fit into non-wedge shafts all the time. Twice fit for wedges last year personally, one was s400 and one was s300.

Being that they are quite short, I can understand needing some more 'give' or flex in a wedge shaft. Would simply going from an x100 to an s300 or a PX 6.5 to a 6.0 in the wedges be an equally smart play, assuming someone were to use wedges for full, 3/4, and finesse shots?

Break the myths for me guys.

I am not a shaft expert by ANY means, but I am quite enjoying the same shafts (KBS Tour 120s) in my irons and wedges. It gives them a very similar feel to my irons, almost as if they are an extension of the irons and that is something I really like.

It will be largely based on how one uses their wedges. So many golfers use them merely as an extension of their set, so having a shaft designed to work by lowering the ball flight will not be well suited. They are playing them no different than irons, so they should use the same thing as their irons (in my opinion).

When you get into flighting, controlling spin and other factors, wedge shafts may open up more choices.

My last 2 wedge sets have had the same shaft in them as my irons have(KBS Tour and PX 5.5). I do like that option because I use my wedges more for full swings. I also just like keeping things the same or as similar as possible.

This has come up quite a bit lately, and I agree with Dean that I like the similar feel throughout my iron/wedges and thus will no longer be using wedge-specific shafts

It will be largely based on how one uses their wedges. So many golfers use them merely as an extension of their set, so having a shaft designed to work by lowering the ball flight will not be well suited. They are playing them no different than irons, so they should use the same thing as their irons (in my opinion).

When you get into flighting, controlling spin and other factors, wedge shafts may open up more choices.

Maybe that's a big piece of the puzzle for me. I rarely shy away from full wedge swings and am inclined to hit my 54 to a 110 pin than 3/4 a 50 degree. I seem to struggle the most when the characteristics of the club (weighting mostly it seems) vary between iron and wedge. the xFT's always felt lighter to me which probably gave me the confidence to get after them.

Like ddec and TH said, maybe it consistency that I am looking for more than anything else. Maybe I need to consider iron shaft in my 50 and 54, with the one shaft I usually am not taking a full swing with changing to a wedge flex.

Maybe that's a big piece of the puzzle for me. I rarely shy away from full wedge swings and am inclined to hit my 54 to a 110 pin than 3/4 a 50 degree. I seem to struggle the most when the characteristics of the club (weighting mostly it seems) vary between iron and wedge. the xFT's always felt lighter to me which probably gave me the confidence to get after them.

Like ddec and TH said, maybe it consistency that I am looking for more than anything else. Maybe I need to consider iron shaft in my 50 and 54, with the one shaft I usually am not taking a full swing with changing to a wedge flex.

I know it wont ever happen, but based on this post, wouldnt you be better suited to play wedges that matched your set rather than traditional?

I've got both in my set right now and I will have to compare more when better weather comes. What I'm looking for is consistency and predictability. I have found that some wedge shafts spin too much for my liking, so a logical option was iron shafts. An interesting and personal topic here Dan.

I know it wont ever happen, but based on this post, wouldnt you be better suited to play wedges that matched your set rather than traditional?

In what regard? A cavity back wedge? I've never been closed minded about using them (with the exception of something like a niblick) I just don't have much experience with them.

Looking at 2014 specifically, I'd probably be inclined to give a GW a shot in the iron set I played (and I remember playing the Adams CMB gap wedge and really liking it). I'm not sure I'd be willing to give up the flexibility of the full blade wedges in the 58 because of how much I open and close it around the green, but that opinion is again based on a lack of experience with anything other than a bladed wedge in that situation. It's what I know.

I often spend time at demo days as the year begins at my home course, but sadly, the presence of non-bladed wedges are usually non-existent. Hopefully I get some more exposure this year to them to better respond to you.

I meant wedges that match the set.

I'm not sure I understand. Can you give me an example?

SW

41h5XZxff3L.jpg

Or even a more present example...

DSC_0036-L.jpg

I'll be honest, switching to a set UW/DW/GW/Whatever-its-labeled was bc it is a full swing club for me and it brings in that consistency I look for in that slot coming from my PW in terms of weight, look, sole, etc.

Dan,

I used to have DG Spinners in my RTX's but had the W+ in my 50* as I hit mostly full swings with it. That is one option you might want to look into to.

In my current set I changed to a GW that matches my irons and shafted it with the same Tour 90's as the rest of my irons. It is a 9 iron shaft that has been tipped and cut down. Google "Tiger-Stepping". I am liking having my GW as an extension of my irons and then a SW and LW for around the greens. Does the DPC's have a GW as an option? If so, pick one up and see how it plays compared to your current 50*.

DSC_0036-L.jpg

I'll be honest, switching to a set UW/DW/GW/Whatever-its-labeled was bc it is a full swing club for me and it brings in that consistency I look for in that slot coming from my PW.

Thank you. You said this far better than I could. If a club is a full swing club, or even in many cases, not just full swing, and the goal is consistency in the set (which appears to be the case here), it would make 100000 times more sense. Then one could keep a single club that adds versatility if they chose to.

Ah, I see what you're saying now.

To be quite honest, it hasn't been something I've pursued. I know the DPCs only go to PW, and I've not seen many irons of that design offering more than a GW at best.

Ah, I see what you're saying now.

To be quite honest, it hasn't been something I've pursued. I know the DPCs only go to PW, and I've not seen many irons of that design offering more than a GW at best.

Adams-Golf-XTD-Irons-690_t640.jpg

Available from 2-LW.

Adams-Golf-XTD-Irons-690_t640.jpg

Available from 2-LW.

I feel like Adams has done a nice job in this over the last couple offerings. As I had mentioned before, I quite enjoyed my time with the CMB GW. I would have no issues gaming a GW like that in a set.

DSC_0036-L.jpg

I'll be honest, switching to a set UW/DW/GW/Whatever-its-labeled was bc it is a full swing club for me and it brings in that consistency I look for in that slot coming from my PW in terms of weight, look, sole, etc.

I was thinking of the i25's when I saw JB's comment. You beat me to it. Your thoughts on these clubs will be interesting to here as it pertains to the discussion in this thread.

I played matching shafts for years and years with no real issue. But as I have played around and tried different wedges I start to see where a more wedge spec shaft can be a better option. I have tried lighter and heavier shafts both, everything from an S400 to S200 to the DG Wedge shaft that comes in Vokeys. What I find is that I like the S400 for full swings and the S200 for half swings and around green touch shots. Thats what I think that more wedge spec shafts come into play in that they are weighted and balanced better to run the range of shots that people will play. That said, I'm actually going to look into the C-Taper Lite with my next set of wedges. I really like the feel of the C-Taper, but I like the idea of the stiff in the Lite being around 10 grams lighter. So I will still gain that light feel for touch shots, but will have a little heavier weight for full shots. It is something that I want to put into testing once I'm able to get out and start hitting balls.

I will likely never transition to a full wedge set the same as my Irons but I have often wondered about swapping my shafts in my Cleveland CG15 wedges for something a little heavier.

Omann ... I couldn't ever imagine hitting that 56 or 60 out of a green-side bunker lol ..
The shafts are, IMHO .. neither here nor there .. but those heads? aye ya yaiii!
I love bouncing my Cleveland 588 GM's around tooo much! :)

DSC_0036-L.jpg

I agree. I like my PW, AW and SW to be matched to my irons, same clubhead and shaft as I use them for full shots a lot for a certain distance, but I like a different style wedge and shaft for my LW, so in my MD2, I have a DG Spinner. Just works for me.

I like how that was explained above. But I could not go back after putting the Hi-Rev in my 54/58. But thats just me.

If the DPC's came in a 52* option I would buy one for sure. Heck, maybe even a 56 would find it's way into my bag as I too use those clubs mostly for full swings. I think with the DG Spinners I have adapted my swing to them as opposed to getting the right clubs for my swing. It's not ideal but once comfortable it works.

Back