The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The difference is staggering, the flight is different, the ball speed is different, and on wedges the ball sucks back a ton (good and bad).
Everything was in the sweetspot.

What book are you reading?

It's called Newton on a Tee: A walk through the physics of golf. Some of the stuff I don't think is as accurate, but it has some very good things too.

It's called Newton on a Tee: A walk through the physics of golf. Some of the stuff I don't think is as accurate, but it has some very good things too.

Thanks dude I'll check it out, most of that stuff is too deep for me but there's always something small that catches my eye.

Lots of swings on the Net today working on a swing correction. Made some nice progress, just need repetition.

Repetition is the game changer in this sport, knowing what your ball is going to do has had the biggest impact on my game and scores, not to mention confidence. Good stuff man keep it up.

Lots of swings on the Net today working on a swing correction. Made some nice progress, just need repetition.

That's what it takes man. Just putting in the work to get the move engrained.

Was fortunate to see Christina Kim on the range today from up close. She flat out murders the ball. Takes it to the top, shifts, and unwinds. Doesn't try and hit it hard, just lets the speed build on its own.

Fwiw... Apex pros, Odyssey Tank (I think?) X2 hot hybrid, and a couple BB fairway woods. I think she's doing some testing against her prior R11 stuff as there were a couple TM clubs in that bag.

I was in awe

Was fortunate to see Christina Kim on the range today from up close. She flat out murders the ball. Takes it to the top, shifts, and unwinds. Doesn't try and hit it hard, just lets the speed build on its own.

Fwiw... Apex pros, Odyssey Tank (I think?) X2 hot hybrid, and a couple BB fairway woods. I think she's doing some testing against her prior R11 stuff as there were a couple TM clubs in that bag.

I was in awe

Now that would be awesome to see

Lesson went fine. Motivated me to work harder. My hips want to open instead of shift. Hard to kill that, but when I do everything just feels right. Very hard ugh. A little work on backswing and transition.

Came home and did workout numero dos and stretched out.

My instructor had me working with an impact ball last time. It was definitely getting me into the correct positions, but it was kicking my butt. I did like that I was finally getting everything moving together right. So, after thinking about it, I ordered one today. If he believes that this is what I need to improve, then I am going to do it. I should have this by the weekend and be putting it into the daily practice routine. Even if that may only be in the house.

Lots of that is familiar. It's hard to stop the turn. I can do it in drills, but my brain just says 'keep going' when I really go for a full swing. However, we haven't concentrated on it nearly as much as the feet/hips, so I expect he's got an answer for me. That would be a game changer for me. I think it would improve my swing in such a huge way if I could nail it down.

You've been working hard Swellins. Keep it up!

Things have been great lately, lesson and practise paying off!

Swellings sounds like a great range session, straighter and farther is always good

Yep I'm stoked on it. All of my irons are going further too and I'm not lusting after new shiny bats quite as much as I was about a month back. I'm sure that will change though!

Ha, the lust never goes away completely. Glad your seeing some improvement.

Lesson recap now that I've had time to reflect. I just write these things so I can get it all out, so read at your own risk.

There's a few different kinds of lessons. The ones where you have a breakthrough, hit the ball like never before and leave feeling like a million bucks, the ones where you get satisfaction from some steady improvement on issues, and then the ones where you're sort of mad that you just can't get something through your head.

The first one sort of goes away over time I'm noticing. That was like a first year and second year thing. Last week, I had the second one and it felt good. Last night, the last one. I'm actually sort of ticked off at myself right now about it, but it's not like I didn't see continued improvement. I did, but he's pressing me to get even better and I feel like I could have done it with even a little more focus in my work. So, for the next two weeks I'm just going to punish myself a bit and really press the issue. Turn that anger into action. I will not lie when I say that my practice right now is very boring, hence the challenge of staying focused on it. Staring at a net and hitting half shots is mind numbing.

It isn't that I'm not getting my hips engaged, but rather that I'm rotating/opening them up more than moving them laterally. It's hard a$$ move for me to conquer, because they just want to rotate open. That's a good thing eventually, but in the tiny little window of the swing I'm working on they need to be moving towards the target. The difference in feel is huge, as my weight just all dumps right onto my left side, my upper body stays in the right spot etc. I know the feeling of the fix, so now I'm just going to ramp up my work on it. Lots of small swings into the impact ball. Also trying to capture the feeling of the handle of the club sort of staying high and forward of the head through impact to iron out that last little bit of flip I still have. Good news there is that it's massively improved, but bad news is that it's still there. 18 months of bad habits are just hard to break.

With the backswing we are trying to gently ease into figuring out how to help me feel the right transition and where to stop swinging. My takeaway, angle and turn are actually pretty good, but it just doesn't stop. The old standby's just don't work for me, i.e. left shoulder to chin or whatever. I can't make that work with my brain, because it gives me too many things to focus on at one time, so we've got a couple drills to use. First is the old step drill, but with a focus of really keeping my head behind the ball, which feels different that what I've done in the past. Also, without a ball at all and the club across my chest. Last is getting into a turn and just holding it for awhile, then rotating through the shot. All really seemed to work last night, so I will do both at every practice session.

Long story short, I'm going to work harder and not open up my damn hips at the next lesson, whatever that takes. Backswing is still in its very early stages of change, but I plan to see improvement there as well.

Swing fix starts today as I take my first lesson in over three plus years.

I know I have to be patient through all this and think big picture but I am both excited and scared for what is coming

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

Good luck with it flog. Big picture is key! You've obviously got a great base to start with, so I see nothing but good things coming your way.

Solid write up Hawk, the hips are a biggie to get dialed in for your individual swing.

I was in awe

Theres something about her that I love, that would have been fun to watch.

Went to the range today despite the temp being slightly above freezing. I am glad I did. Started with some pitching and had some good success with my half swing. Was reaching the green from about 30 feet out on most of my shots. Gathered up the balls and went to the range. Have been really trying to keep that wrist angle on my downswing and avoiding that casting motion that starts my swing. It feels awkward but I saw immediate results when my first conscious effort on my downswing was to keep that wrist locked in that angle. Balls were not flying far, but they sure were flying straight. I was thrilled! Yeah, I topped a few still, and I have a tendency to push some of my shots (not really far off but it still looks like a push), but I think I am finally making progress. I definitely am taking out divots now too! I definitely give this range session two thumbs up!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Had my first lesson in over three years today and I was absolutely blown away.

I went to see Ted Fort who is in Marietta, GA and came from the recommendation of a couple of friends and friend of THP, John Kim.
Ted was the the GA Teacher of the Year in 2010 and is often at the top of the section in terms of playing.

We used FlightScope for our lesson and it was so awesome to see. After my warm up we looked at the numbers and he asked me what my handicap was which I responded with a 2.6.... He was amazed, not at my handicap but he said of my ability to get around the golf course with FlightScope numbers that were that of most of his higher handicap students. For those that know a little about the technology, my swing path was hovering around 9-12 RIGHT with the occasional 3-4 LEFT.

He said typically he would just concentrate on one thing at a time but he could see my passion and my drive and decided to throw 3 things at me.

The first was to get the club going more up and down on my take away. He told me to visualize that I was trying to get the club in my ear on my take away but only by bending my right arm. It took a few tries but this got me down to around 7 RIGHT in the FlightScope.... Strides were being made.

Next we worked on getting my right shoulder to drop and cover the ball instead of being rounded. This literally felt like I was going to hit about 4 feet behind the ball but never did. This got the FlightScope numbers down to 4 RIGHT.... More strides were being made.

Last we worked on quieting my right hip while powering my left hip. We did a drill on a 2x4 where I took small swings and worked on keeping my right hip back and going down and clearing my hips with my left a la the Snead Squat..... This worked great and I felt I could start to really swing and use my new found leverage.

What happened next was truly remarkable. We worked on doing 60% swings to get the sync of all these moves and then slowly increased the speed. With each swing I started hitting it more and more solid. We finally got to full speed and the numbers we crazy.... I had a 10 shot average where my FlightScope numbers were between
.05 LEFT and 1 RIGHT. I started feeling shots off the face I haven't felt since my college golf days over 8 years ago.

Ted said he very rarely has a student that he can throw that much at but felt I could handle it and I took away a great respect for him after this first lesson.

I went ahead and signed up for a 5 lesson package as I feel this simple teaching style is what works best for me. He is very laid back and knows what lies before me and wants to help me get there

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

So, decided to shoot some video tonight during my practice session to see how things have been going. I wanted to look at two things specifically, my position at the top of the backswing, and my finish.

ABDD75E2-CAB4-4469-B8EB-085973DD5622_zps0wwgvsjv.png

Me on the left is back in mid December, I hadn't really been stretching much and had just really started to make swing changes. You can see that I had a pretty flat position at the top of the backswing. Shaft angle is much to shallow as well. The right is tonight, the shaft angle is a lot better and I don't have as shallow finish at the top. I also noticed that I am beginning to over swing (I think) a bit at the top, so I need to tone it done just a notch. Overall, I am happy, it's still not near as perfect as Id like, but it's progress, and something fun to see.

890DB3E8-94F2-4E1C-B294-ACDFBD26BE8C_zpskfzxxg7n.png

This second shot is the finish position, left is Dec, right is tonight. HOLY difference! Chest is pointing downfield much more and the stretching is beginning to pay off. Again, I know it's not perfect, but it's cool to see progress after putting in work all winter.

I will say this, I'm beginning to get sick of that Callaway net... Dayum winter.

Awesome stuff Mr. 24 squared. Nice to see some progress right away.

I worked on my putting quite a bit today and I think the work I have done over the winter is starting to pay off. Everything feels much more natural and automatic. I am getting into great position and my routine is second nature. I still need to work on not hunching my shoulders and getting a little quicker to pull the trigger.

That difference in the finish is really cool to see. Nice work Brad.

So, decided to shoot some video tonight during my practice session to see how things have been going. I wanted to look at two things specifically, my position at the top of the backswing, and my finish.

ABDD75E2-CAB4-4469-B8EB-085973DD5622_zps0wwgvsjv.png

Me on the left is back in mid December, I hadn't really been stretching much and had just really started to make swing changes. You can see that I had a pretty flat position at the top of the backswing. Shaft angle is much to shallow as well. The right is tonight, the shaft angle is a lot better and I don't have as shallow finish at the top. I also noticed that I am beginning to over swing (I think) a bit at the top, so I need to tone it done just a notch. Overall, I am happy, it's still not near as perfect as Id like, but it's progress, and something fun to see.

890DB3E8-94F2-4E1C-B294-ACDFBD26BE8C_zpskfzxxg7n.png

This second shot is the finish position, left is Dec, right is tonight. HOLY difference! Chest is pointing downfield much more and the stretching is beginning to pay off. Again, I know it's not perfect, but it's cool to see progress after putting in work all winter.

I will say this, I'm beginning to get sick of that Callaway net... Dayum winter.

Lots of progress bro! Pay attention to shoulder tilt at the top as well. You are looking good!

I have to ask:
1) How tall is the ceiling in your basement?
2) How tall are you?
3) Can you swing the full array of clubs?

Thanks!

I am 6 ft. I can swing everything up to a 3 hybo, anything past that and I get nervous. I think the unfinished ceiling is like 8.5 ft

Lots of progress bro! Pay attention to shoulder tilt at the top as well. You are looking good!

Thanks dude, there are still a multitude of things I need to work on. But I am getting there

Brad - way to go dude! Both pictures look great. Hard work = paying off.

Flog, enjoyed the lesson recap. Good luck in your journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back