Golf Etiquette - part 2 - Radios on the course

So what if you ask the players on the 1st tee if they are OK with a radio and a few or all of them say NO to it .... what do you do?? Wait for another group to come up who don't care about it or be pissed off the entire round because some jerks don't like radios??
Just curious. Why go through the hassle? Unless you play with the same people all the time?

I'd just play my round. No need to pout about it.

I love having a speaker on the course. Never turn it up too loud to be distracting for other groups, and I always ask my partners if it is ok. Keeps the mood light and is quite enjoyable

Ditto!

Like Mark_UK said, you would be asked to leave if you were playing music over here in the UK, so fortunately it isn't a situation I have had to deal with

I would much rather enjoy a quiet round with conversation between shots - maybe that is a sign of growing old, but it is just what I prefer

Why not just handle it on your own and ask politely if the music can be turned down or off? Why rely on the course to be the bad guy? I would think a less passive aggressive method would keep from burning a bridge.
That's an option, but I shouldn't necessarily have to drive my cart to catch up to a group to ask them to turn down their loud music. Never mind how that is going to inconvenience everyone playing behind me and my group. Obviously circumstances dictate, but I think calling the marshal is a valid option.

Besides, not really sure how it would be burning a bridge in this instance. Maybe it's the CEO of a giant corporation who is being a twit on the course and I just passed up the opportunity of getting a seven figure salary because I asked the marshal to ask him to put a cork in it? Oh noes, whatever shall I do?

But can people not have fun listening to music and golfing as long as it is at an appropriate sound level?

I guess I dont understand why other people listening to music bothers some people if they cannot hear it? If you can hear it from across the course than clearly they aren't being respectful.

At some point I will hear it though. I don't need Miley throwing me off any farther.

Like Mark_UK said, you would be asked to leave if you were playing music over here in the UK, so fortunately it isn't a situation I have had to deal with

I would much rather enjoy a quiet round with conversation between shots - maybe that is a sign of growing old, but it is just what I prefer

My point exactly! Maybe I am just old school but I prefer to concentrate on my own game with a little conversation in between as well.

I have yet to see a boom box on the course. Small speakers are no big deal and don't ruin my round. I like the music and as long as it's not too loud I see no reason for it to continue.

It doesn't make you happy Gilmore for listening to music no more then it makes you Scrooge mcduck for not wanting music. To each his own

To be honest...I've never seen this, heard about it, or even thought of it before now. I think headpones are fine, bringing a speaker, though, is kinda pushing it. UNLESS you are with a normal 4some where everybody knows about it and is okay with it...and it's kept to a respectable level. If you go out by yourself with a bluetooth speaker though...that's different.

WOW ... I am glad to have brought up such a nice topic! I am pleasantly surprised that there is this much conversation about it. That's what this forum is all about! I love it!

That's an option, but I shouldn't necessarily have to drive my cart to catch up to a group to ask them to turn down their loud music. Never mind how that is going to inconvenience everyone playing behind me and my group. Obviously circumstances dictate, but I think calling the marshal is a valid option.

Besides, not really sure how it would be burning a bridge in this instance. Maybe it's the CEO of a giant corporation who is being a twit on the course and I just passed up the opportunity of getting a seven figure salary because I asked the marshal to ask him to put a cork in it? Oh noes, whatever shall I do?

If it was a group ahead, I agree with the marshal. If it was your group, that's a different story for me.

I don't think it's a sign of getting old mate, it's just what we're used to.
I'm interested in the people that say they have the volume so it doesn't disturb anyone else. You are either lucky enough to play on courses where there are no adjacent fairways, or you have it turned down so quietly it seems pointless anyway. I would suspect that if it's turned up loud enough that you can hear the music from your cart whilst you are on the green, it's loud enough for other groups to be able to hear.

I'm not a big fan of music on the course. If you want to listen to music get you a nice set of bluetooth headphones and knock yourself out.
Lots of guys in the MC listen to music during practice rounds. Is it going to bother you? Make sure your Ina quiet group....alone (I kid) but a lot of guys do like music when they play.

Love music when I play, its all about a good time. I can try to fire off a low round AND have a good time.

If it was a group ahead, I agree with the marshal. If it was your group, that's a different story for me.
That was the scenario I had in my head when I originally made my comments. It would be pretty petty (IMO) of anyone to call the marshal to settle a dispute between two members of the same group. Unless it got heated to the point of almost assured violence if it continued. If I was put into a group where someone was being absolutely obnoxious (for any number of reasons) I would try to speak with them and seek the advice of the rest of the group. If they refused to budge on their behavior I'd suffer through that round and make a mental note to never play with that particular person and/or group ever again.

I have been placed into groups on a few occasions and it's always been pleasant, peaceful, and enjoyable. I can't envision such a scenario happening, but I suppose you never say never.

Put me in the category of someone who plays music all the time. That is unless I am playing with someone I don't know. If that is the case I usually don't even ask if music is ok. I like to have music going just to break it up and keep over analytical thoughts out of my head. I try to be courteous and turn it down if I am parking by a green and another tee box is close by, but this doesn't happen often on my home course.

Quite frankly I don't care if people are talking while I am putting or swinging just as long as they do it the whole time. It is only distracting when they start or stop mid swing. Other than that I think some people are just searching for an excuse for their bad shots or play. Just my opinion.

Played in a tournament where a guy in our foursome in the other cart had music on. I didn't like it, especially since he didn't even ask first.

So what if you ask the players on the 1st tee if they are OK with a radio and a few or all of them say NO to it .... what do you do?? Wait for another group to come up who don't care about it or be pissed off the entire round because some jerks don't like radios??
Just curious. Why go through the hassle? Unless you play with the same people all the time?

I play with the same people almost all of the time...

But when I go up solo I ask if the people mind music, if they say they would prefer I don't play it, then I don't. I don't get upset, it's really not that big of a deal. You are blowing this out of proportion.

From our group in Dallas, I didn't mind the music, though it's not my type or choice of music, but seeing as how I'm guessing 20 years older than Fox, Cookie, or TH, as the elderly say I'm just not into that whipper snapper hip hop. But did it bother me, no not a bit.

I like music on the course. I never play it loud enough to where it will effect other players, and if I'm just out on the course by myself I will just use headphones.

I personally don't understand the perception that if you listen to music you aren't taking golf seriously, but to each their own.

I don't like radio's at ski areas let alone on the golf course. My club doesn't allow cell phone calls(ringers must be muted) on the golf course so I can't even imagine radios.

During a practice round I don't mind but never bring my own. When I play alone I play with headphones on.

The more noise the better as I enjoy distractions. To much quiet makes me play poorly.

I'm compiling a list of people I plan to roll up on at the course with The Essential Hanson hits blaring. Bahahahahaha.

If a person outside of a tour pro is blaming soft music playing on playing sucky golf, they are overlooking the glaring problem here, which is actually being sucky at golf. But at least they now have a soundtrack. :)

I will say that I don't think I'd ask a stranger if we got paired up. Just to avoid any awkward situations.

Agree that a little background music has nothing to do with one's dedication to or love of the game.

I will say that I don't think I'd ask a stranger if we got paired up. Just to avoid any awkward situations.

Agree that a little background music has nothing to do with one's dedication to or love of the game.

I would jam out to music on the course with you any day buddy

I don't think it's a sign of getting old mate, it's just what we're used to.
I'm interested in the people that say they have the volume so it doesn't disturb anyone else. You are either lucky enough to play on courses where there are no adjacent fairways, or you have it turned down so quietly it seems pointless anyway. I would suspect that if it's turned up loud enough that you can hear the music from your cart whilst you are on the green, it's loud enough for other groups to be able to hear.

Apparently I am getting old according to the other half.....although I have to admit, I sometimes feel a lot older than I am..... :beat-up:

I too am curious about those who say they have the volume down, as I have heard some pretty noisy carts at times, so to have the volume loud enough to hear over them means it is highly likely that other groups are going to be able to hear it as well

Don't get me wrong, I am not suggesting that a golf course should be silent apart from the yell of 'Fore!' as that is impossible, but natural ambient noise (vehicles, animals, etc) is something I am happy to filter out, but to be subjected to various different types of music is not the reason I am on the golf course

Back