PING Karsten Hybrid Iron Set Review Thread

The more I get into this thread, the more I want to get my hands on these things. I really do.

Hawk how are off center hits feeling? Noticeable change? Or is it just buttery smoothness all over the place with these?

That's some good stuff Hawk. You are not one to get easily impressed or obsessed with an iron set with how much your bag changes due to testing.

Ping is a brand that I don't think I've ever had in the bag. I've thoroughly enjoyed hybrid iron sets in the past and am already thinking post MC what I will game long term....as much as it hurts to say, I'm looking forward to building a stable game that will bring some consistency to my game.

And since Jman wants to see these....I suggest they are shipped to TX post review so Jman and I can enjoy them together....maybe write a review! :)

Keep it up, looking forward to reading more.

Ha! We'll see how that shakes out.

The more I get into this thread, the more I want to get my hands on these things. I really do.

Hawk how are off center hits feeling? Noticeable change? Or is it just buttery smoothness all over the place with these?

I think you have to do it Brad. Just to see for yourself. This is a set I probably wouldn't even pick up in a store, but I'm realizing that's a short-sighted way to look at things.

Off-center shows a change in feel/sound, but it's different than the other iron I've been using most of the time recently (588 TT). That one definitely becomes more unpleasant (for lack of better word) and gives up a pretty thin/toed feeling into the hands. I think bellaraimi had a pretty asute observation back a bit when he said that he would have guessed they were graphite shafted if he didn't know better.

Ha! We'll see how that shakes out.

I think you have to do it Brad. Just to see for yourself. This is a set I probably wouldn't even pick up in a store, but I'm realizing that's a short-sighted way to look at things.

Off-center shows a change in feel/sound, but it's different than the other iron I've been using most of the time recently (588 TT). That one definitely becomes more unpleasant (for lack of better word) and gives up a pretty thin/toed feeling into the hands. I think bellaraimi had a pretty asute observation back a bit when he said that he would have guessed they were graphite shafted if he didn't know better.

That is what I would look for in an iron. Just enough to let me know that it was off. The J40 DPCs let you know exactly if you have hit anything off center and while it is been a great teaching tool, it can be unenjoyable when it is 40° out.

I also want to point out something I saw with the sole. Obviously these are super wide and there's a good reason for that - more sole equals more weight equals higher flight. I'll get into sole design more in the review as I said earlier, but there are downsides, or at least perceived downsides for some players though.

However, if you take a look at this picture, you'll see a noticeable bevel on the sole towards the trailing edge.

DSCN4457-L.jpg

So, in a sense, you are getting best of both worlds in some ways here - assuming you are looking for something that will really launch a ball. You get that, but you also get some relief on the sole that really makes the main portion that contacts the ground similar in size to a normal GI iron.

Anyway, just interested me and thought I'd share.

The beveled sole is similar to what Ping did with the K15s. They look wider than they actually play, if that makes sense. To me, this set looks like the next gen K line.

I really like the looks of the hybrids. I'm probably most intrigued by those.

I know you weren't thrilled with the G25s - the Karstens really are notably easier to launch and more forgiving. The gap is definitely larger than say it was between the K15 and the G15. I sort of have the feeling the Ping designers are showing off - "you want forgiving, check this out".

Bell: Do you think the Karsten is more forgiving that the K? Or do you think that the G25 is just less forgiving than the old G15?

The beveled sole is similar to what Ping did with the K15s. They look wider than they actually play, if that makes sense. To me, this set looks like the next gen K line.

I really like the looks of the hybrids. I'm probably most intrigued by those.

Makes sense to me. Just going by pictures, but the topline looks like it was slimmed up with the Karstens.

Got to give these a shot at the golf expo when I was there this weekend. They really feel nice to swing, but as someone who hits a pretty high ball, I'm not sure these would be up my alley. I would agree with those who say they almost feel like swinging a graphite shafted iron. In terms of mishits - they reminded me of the clubs I've hit with Nippon 950s in them - a more muted feeling on mishits, but you still know it wasn't pure. I think the whole "all shots feel the same with GI irons" thing is overblown.

Got to give these a shot at the golf expo when I was there this weekend. They really feel nice to swing, but as someone who hits a pretty high ball, I'm not sure these would be up my alley. I would agree with those who say they almost feel like swinging a graphite shafted iron. In terms of mishits - they reminded me of the clubs I've hit with Nippon 950s in them - a more muted feeling on mishits, but you still know it wasn't pure. I think the whole "all shots feel the same with GI irons" thing is overblown.

Agree. Myth and/or a justification.

More sole = higher flight.

Never thought about that.

Ok, I hit em Hawk.

I'll have to try again though, as I made the mistake of hitting them after the Speedblades with Tour 90s in them and it wasnt fair.

Observations.

1. Topline isnt as bad as I thought, i expected MT-ish
2. A very Ping Pure feeling at impact I saw with my old I3's
3. Distances were obviously shorter than what I saw with Speedblades, but also shorter than J40's and Apex's that I have gamed.
4. THE BALL DOES LAUNCH!

Was this on a monitor or sim Mike? If so, do you remember any numbers? I'm just curious whether the distance difference was ball speed/launch/spin or a little of all three.

Was this on a monitor or sim Mike? If so, do you remember any numbers? I'm just curious whether the distance difference was ball speed/launch/spin or a little of all three.

Launch Monitor

Their setup made it difficult to see the numbers after each shot as the TV monitor was quite a bit aways from the hitting station, all I could see were the carry distances (and total distance which I didnt pay any attention to).

WHen I did hit the 3 Deep I ran over there to see just how low my L/A was for a teed up 3 wood.

I will do it justice and try again and capture some of the data this time.

No big deal. Only if you get a chance to do it. I can't wait to see what comes out of this for me tomorrow.

PING Karsten Hybrid Iron Set Review Thread

Yep, it's probably the most easy way to get weight low in the head.

I think the only other way to get the CG down is to use other materials like Tungsten - I think that's why the AP1 can launch so high with a relatively thin sole vs. something like the G series. I really like the grind that Ping has moved to on the G25 and the Karsten as compared to the previous GI clubs in the line - I think it makes a huge difference, especially on tight lies when I've tried them.

Last edited:
441 with some success! Nice dude. What shafts?

Yep, it's probably the most easy way to get weight low in the head.
Makes sense to me dude. Now, I just need to go and hit them. You have me crazy intrigued on these.

Makes sense to me dude. Now, I just need to go and hit them. You have me crazy intrigued on these.

Golf magazine has these HIGHLY rated in the max game improvement category....above the altitudes.

That tells me something.

Golf magazine has these HIGHLY rated in the max game improvement category....above the altitudes.

That tells me something.
Maybe I can actually hit these!

Whatever stock was

I got to play in pretty windy conditions today and like an idiot I was swinging harder for no reason because the wind seemed to be in my face a lot. I really got to see how forgiving these irons are on off center hits. I could still get the feeling that I hit it off the toe but the ball would only be 5 yards short of the target with a short iron. When I did find the sweet spot it felt sooo good. Once when I knew my yardage was right I announced "middle of the green" just after I made my swing just because the contact felt so right. I was hitting straight into the setting sun so none of could see the ball but I just watched the flag and sure enough the ball landed 10 feet from it and rolled out to 20. Two putt for par on one of the most difficult holes. I love these clubs!

Very nice Snedekerrrr.

I like the hybrid quite a bit. I think that people that aren't even playing the iron set might enjoy them too. Very easy to hit off the ground, and from what I saw on the monitor, stupid forgiving across the face and pretty long. Surprisingly straight. When I was getting out in front of the ball I was hitting some balls pretty low on the face, and though I lost basically no ball speed the launch numbers did drop quite a bit, and as a result so did ball height.

The irons are certainly interesting. Hmmmm.

They launch really high. Like exceptionally high (2-4° higher depending on the shot), but similar to many of the thin-face distance type irons we see these days, they produce pretty low spin numbers for me. The result there was ball speed numbers that weren't as high as the 588 TT on perfect swings, but basically identical on average, and I think that just has to do with angle of deflection. Balls that go more up just aren't going to carry the same ball speed. However, in my case that added launch contributed to higher balls and more carry - 3 yards to be exact.

Saw very little deviation in ball speed on shots across the face and low on the face. Balls low on the face produced much better results than anybody deserves lol. This was a pretty broad look at forgiveness though and I'll plan on doing some impact tape testing in the coming week.

This is the kind of set that could be a low ball hitters dream. Plus, they are irons, feel like irons, look like irons, etc.

Great thoughts Hawk. The altitudes were game changers for many and it really sounds like these could be similar in that regard.

I fear I would hit these absurdly high but I have to think a low ball hitter, as you said, would enjoy the heck out of these.

Just curious here do you feel there is a difference in yardage as opposed to the Speed blades or other current SGI Irons? ( not sure where speedblades fit in GI/SGI ?) I am curious as well if the lofts are stronger on these?

Just curious here do you feel there is a difference in yardage as opposed to the Speed blades or other current SGI Irons? ( not sure where speedblades fit in GI/SGI ?) I am curious as well if the lofts are stronger on these?

I'd call the Speedblades as GI set. The lofts are almost identical through the entire set, which is a bit of a shift from PING.

I didn't compare the two head to head today, but going off what I've seen in the past, I'd say the numbers are very close, just like they are close to the 588. These launch higher than the Speedblades ever did for me.

Back