Official Equipment Pondering Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW Hawk, I think you would prefer the regular to the tour. Just a hunch however. Should have both soon in for full review.

I've heard that a few times.

Early feedback seemed to indicate a spinner ball coming off these - at least the non-Tour. That could be a good thing for me, but I know it knocked down distance numbers for some. Did you see anything like that?

Hawk I much preferred the tour off the deck fwiw. Was like hitting a hybrid

FWIW Hawk, I think you would prefer the regular to the tour. Just a hunch however. Should have both soon in for full review.

Interesting. The numbers seem to indicate that for sure bc of the higher spin. Primary interest comes because of the shaft in the Tour matching my driver and my success there. Too bad it's not in the normal one.

Hawk I much preferred the tour off the deck fwiw. Was like hitting a hybrid

That is what they look like. Big hybrids.

Interesting. The numbers seem to indicate that for sure bc of the higher spin. Primary interest comes because of the shaft in the Tour matching my driver and my success there. Too bad it's not in the normal one.

You know my take on this, so I will just say that I think the club head will dictate a bit more for you with this club than the shaft will. To give you an example, think SLDR & Big Bertha. Put the same shaft in both drivers and see which one gives you greater results. For you the one with more spin will (meaning Big Bertha [not Alpha]). I think you will find the same results here.

You know my take on this, so I will just say that I think the club head will dictate a bit more for you with this club than the shaft will. To give you an example, think SLDR & Big Bertha. Put the same shaft in both drivers and see which one gives you greater results. For you the one with more spin will (meaning Big Bertha [not Alpha]). I think you will find the same results here.

Go with what JB says haha. I thought it was funny we posted within seconds of each other with opposite reccomendations. I didn't hit them both on a monitor or anything, I just thought that from the deck the tour was easier to hit. Sleeker than the Bertha FW even

That's a great point and exactly how I'd look at it with a driver.

Go with what JB says haha. I thought it was funny we posted within seconds of each other with opposite reccomendations. I didn't hit them both on a monitor or anything, I just thought that from the deck the tour was easier to hit. Sleeker than the Bertha FW even

That's a great point and exactly how I'd look at it with a driver.

Dont discount what TH is saying however. I have only taken a handful of swings with both and he has in hand knowledge done while outside on the range.

Dont discount what TH is saying however. I have only taken a handful of swings with both and he has in hand knowledge done while outside on the range.

But my In hand knowledge doesn't know Ryan's needs like you do. I thought both were relatively easy to hit. I thought the tour was easier off the deck and the standard off the tee. I didn't notice a ton of distance difference between the two of them, and I know both would be solid options for a ton of players.

Different viewpoints are always good. The spin thing could be an issue for me even if it's easier off the turf though.

Bottom line is I'm unnaturally obsessed with the tour blue.

I learn more from cyber eavesdropping lol.

Question: do you guys think there is to much weight out on "the numbers". And not enough emphasis on results from seeing actual ball flight?

Question: do you guys think there is to much weight out on "the numbers". And not enough emphasis on results from seeing actual ball flight?

I will say that I think there is merit to both Kevin. I distinctly remember Finley telling me that some of the Callaway staffers will pick a club after hitting 3 or 4 different setups and just watching to decide which is the best. I heard similar things at Adams as well. Bottom line is you know what you want out of a club and if you can see it outside without numbers I think you can make a pretty good assumption

The thing for me is that I know what numbers will produce the ball flight I want or don't want. I will just hit line drives with a low spin set up, so I try to avoid it.

But yes, chasing numbers can be a bad thing, especially if you are looking for that holy grail.

No. In fact its the opposite.
Just watch message boards and how many feel they hit it too high, etc.

But the downfall in that are those that chase numbers. See it every single day and it leads to bad decisions/changes. Over and over. Then add that nobody seems to pay attention to the numbers on the miss.

Perfect example of some of this. Someone asks "What driver should I get". The answer is almost universally "Get Fit". Yet 90% of the people responding with that have never been through an actual fitting. Just as the question of "Lessons or new driver?" THe answer is always lessons, but go read the thread about why dont you take lessons and see how many are doing so.

Numbers are no different. The numbers will absolutely dictate the ball flight. You can look at them and know where the ball is going (if you only have the ability to get the numbers indoors). Chasing them is brutal for the amateur. Chasing them and not paying attention to the miss is even worse.

I love cyber eavesdropping its awesome for learning.

Like JB said not counting misses, especially your common miss is crazy IMO.Knowing what will happen when you miss is important, for me mine is a low face miss with driver and my spin jumps 800rpm it stays straight but looses 20yds.

After rolling my new to me Cleveland Classic HB1....I'm pondering RST2. DB4....DB4xPR....or maybe just start with an X4?

Si4. Don't forget the si4

I have an Si3, and prefer the X insert if I were to go that way...but I did look at it.

I thought the x4 had a thicker look at address. Not the traditional size as the Si or db4. I was about to pull the trigger on a x4. Until Seemore went an release a tri-sole FGP

Optiforce 3w with an ilima 60s and 5w with a kusala white....it's been a crazy morning of pondering for me!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Pondering a 3w still...not sure why but need me a bomber, primarily for off the tee. Tried the old 3 deep but it was a pro and we didn't get along.

Pondering a 3w still...not sure why but need me a bomber, primarily for off the tee. Tried the old 3 deep but it was a pro and we didn't get along.

I honestly recommend giving the 5deep a whirl when it comes out.

mike do you have any interest in a Tour Edge Exotics 3++ wood? I have the XCG-5 version, the 11.5° of loft makes it a bomber. Just PM me if interested.

mike do you have any interest in a Tour Edge Exotics 3++ wood? I have the XCG-5 version, the 11.5° of loft makes it a bomber. Just PM me if interested.

Seeing my launch angles have been awful I may need a little more loft on it to be effective

Seeing my launch angles have been awful I may need a little more loft on it to be effective

Nebgolfer has optiforce 4w in the MP. Any experience with those?

Nebgolfer has optiforce 4w in the MP. Any experience with those?

Not much. Hit the 3w on trackman a few days ago and really liked the feel and look. I use 3w as driver replacement and 5w off the deck currently.

Not much. Hit the 3w on trackman a few days ago and really liked the feel and look. I use 3w as driver replacement and 5w off the deck currently.

Its a bit light for my taste but if you like light weight clubs, this could be a bomber

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back