5 wood, can't hit it to save my life.

66Tiger

Golf > Work = :^)
Reaction score
Handicap
Beer&Soju
I hit all my other clubs well. This new 5 wood is kicking my butt. It is a Taylor Made burner super fast 5-18 R flex.

Trade it in! Sometimes it is the club haha

I hit all my other clubs well. This new 5 wood is kicking my butt. It is a Taylor Made burner super fast 5-18 R flex.

Whats your miss with it?

I traded my 5 wood for a 3 hybrid. They were within a degree of each other loft wise, with the 3 hybrid being a little shorter, but it's been a good trade off for me.

I've completely lost my 5 wood swing as well. Last year I was trying hard to make it my fairway finder off the tee and had some success. Then about July I had a stretch where I actually wiffed with it the first swing of a round from a reasonable fairway lie. Then it became an absolute hooker and I bagged it for the rest of the season.

This week I played three rounds and only used it once with the same hideous result dead pull hook. Even my 4H has been susceptible to the pull hook as well.

I"m fairly happy with my driver swing right now and really comfortable with my irons and wedges. Whatever it is that I'm doing with that 5 wood is an absolute aberration.

To be honest, the Superfast wasn't the easiest to hit or most forgiving club to play. I had the driver and 3W for a while, and when I was on, they were bombers, but, the penal misses were brutal.

Mashie 5w might help

A new club always helps the frame of mind. However, technically speaking I'd suggest choking down on the club just a fraction, maybe a 1/4 inch or about the width of your thumb. Place the ball about a half to one ball length back in your stance and swing at it like a long iron.
Sometime, just a little difference in the mind set, setup and swing will make all the difference.

Whats your miss with it?
Keep toping the ball. Worm burners are the norm. Ball placement is just right of when using the driver. Played nine today and it stayed in the bag.

Thanks for the comments guys.

I'd recommend going to a PGA Teaching Pro in your area for some help. Nothing beats real live work with a qualified person.

Mashie 5w might help
Loving my 5W Mashie. A bit inconsistent with it, but I am a 36 handicap for a reason. When I make solid contact though, the ball flies off the face and carries well. I've learned with this club, like with my driver, the easier the swing, the better it is for all involved.

I know that feel, bro. Currently have a 3W Cleveland Classic XL that it just giving me fits in terms of consistency. Pretty funny to pass over my 3W for my driver just for consistency's sake. I know what my miss is with my driver.

If it's a different make/model than your other woods, I can see this happening. I've never liked to mix & match shafts and clubheads. What are your other FW woods?

if your topping it im guessing your playing it a bit too far up in your stance. you need to find the bottom of your swing arc just like any other club.

it seems to me that your bottoming out tward the middle of your stance coming back up by the time you get to the ball. move the ball back 1" at a time untill you start getting good contact.

Back