Official Equipment Pondering Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its a bit light for my taste but if you like light weight clubs, this could be a bomber

I'm loving the Optiforce driver (thanks again) and all of my fittings tell me light is better for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Optiforce 3w with an ilima 60s and 5w with a kusala white....it's been a crazy morning of pondering for me!

What weight is the Kusala you already have? Could it work in the 5w for you? Pull that unglued, brain ripping plug out of the top already! hahaha

Nebgolfer has optiforce 4w in the MP. Any experience with those?

No sir I think I've only hit the driver in that line a few times too

What weight is the Kusala you already have? Could it work in the 5w for you? Pull that unglued, brain ripping plug out of the top already! hahaha

It's like 60 ish I believe. Already had the grip and extension removed!

The amount of misinformation about equipment in the online world is fascinating to me. I mean just flat out wrong information put out as fact. I will start with "made for" shafts and soon will have real information on them, what they are, what is different and so on. The idea that they are a lesser version to the standard shaft is just completely wrong. In some cases they are not anything like the standard version. In other cases tolerances are actually significantly tighter than the standard version.

I think it goes back to the idea that on the internet the shaft is the holy grail and if one is hitting something poorly, it must be a shaft thing because its never the swing.

Spoke with 5 shaft experts this past week (guys who create the shaft) and so much of the bullsh!t that is out there or believed on shafts is laughable. Im working on a story, or should say I am contemplating a story, but I dont even know where to begin its so bad. Here is an example. This from a so called "expert" on shafts on some message board (this was pulled by a shaft guy as an example, not by me).

"The difference between the aftermarket version and the made for is the tip is softer, the torque rating is higher and the weight is lighter. Basically the company wants the ball to launch higher and then have it be a bit cheaper in total cost."

Now here is the real definition of this particular shaft. The tip is actually the same, but the mid section is softened because the head it was going into was a low launcher and very low spin. The golfers on tour commented that the shaft was a bit boardy, so they made the mid section (12 inches from the tip in this case) a bit softer so the average golfer (90-105) can feel the shaft load and unload. The launch was virtually the same in most testing. The materials are nearly identical and the torsional rating is completely dependent on how it is measured. The tolerances are actually tighter in the non-aftermarket version because this specific company requires a certain tolerance that no other does right now. If you look at the two shafts and one was colored differently, they would not be named the same thing. The company took a hot shaft name and had it massaged to match the club head. Not watered down to save costs."

Now as soon as the info was posted about this driver, one of the first posts was "Is this a made for shaft"? Then a conversation later in this thread ensued on how the made for did not work for them, but ABC shaft worked perfectly. The best part of that is that ABC shaft is almost identical in every characteristic to the made for. All the way down to the materials, where the shaft flags are located, weight, etc. "Made for" did not get a shot, because of some meaning behind it only on the internet.

Im not sure where I am going on this, and I know there are some that will follow up with "not in my experience", etc...But people deserve to have honest facts, not the bulls!t that gets regurgitated by people that read a lot and think they know what they are talking about.

Im jumping off this high horse right now, just wanted to vent for a second.

JB great info and point there that "made for" is simply designed to give optimum LC and feel for the head it's going in.

JB, great information. Would love to see you have an article or series of articles on misconceptions in the golf industry or educational topics from those in the industry.

Sorry if this is a silly question, but with the "made for" shaft issue, has it always been where the "made for" shafts are virtually identical, or have they come closer in recent years? The reason I ask is because maybe some are holding onto beliefs that they had from years ago and don't want to adjust their views.

I hope you do take some time to write a piece, JB. You obviously have some passion on the topic, so a write - up with facts and objectivity would be an interesting read.

Pondering a 3w still...not sure why but need me a bomber, primarily for off the tee. Tried the old 3 deep but it was a pro and we didn't get along.

Feel free to take some swings with my BB 3W next weekend. I'm a big fan of it off the tee and off the deck. I raised the loft to 16*, which has worked very well for me.

JB, great information. Would love to see you have an article or series of articles on misconceptions in the golf industry or educational topics from those in the industry.

Sorry if this is a silly question, but with the "made for" shaft issue, has it always been where the "made for" shafts are virtually identical, or have they come closer in recent years? The reason I ask is because maybe some are holding onto beliefs that they had from years ago and don't want to adjust their views.

Not a lot has changed. Graphite years ago stunk. Everybody knew that because of cost. The aftermarket companies were charging hundreds of dollars for any product worth a damn because they had to. I dont believe this came from that however. I believe this came from message boards and the people that call themselves experts. Most of them have no idea what goes into making a shaft or shafts and are merely reciting characteristics they read some where or hear somewhere. Then differences exist in the two products sharing a similar name or the same name and just assume its inferior, because if it wasnt, they could not charge the same for the driver (again, another myth) or the company is trying to cut corners.

I was shown 10 posts from different message boards and they were all bullsh!t

Was there any discussion of the clickiness of a "made for" shaft, or are the shaft manufacturers still running from this issue?

Spoiler
(This is obviously satire.)

I think much of the made for shaft thing in most people is mental because of the misinformation. I dont understand the thought that a OEM would put out inferior equipment when the marketplace is so competitive.

What bothers me the most is when the company will say they are not a made for yet the internet insists that it is. Why would the company lie about that?

My ponder for the day is nothing specific more of a should I make the drive to golfsmith and see what they have.

I think much of the made for shaft thing in most people is mental because of the misinformation. I dont understand the thought that a OEM would put out inferior equipment when the marketplace is so competitive.

What bothers me the most is when the company will say they are not a made for yet the internet insists that it is. Why would the company lie about that?

My ponder for the day is nothing specific more of a should I make the drive to golfsmith and see what they have.

Im not sure and have not encountered that (although I have not looked really hard).

Im not sure where to get started on the above, but it will be coming in some form at some point.
Its our job to inform I guess.

Im not sure and have not encountered that (although I have not looked really hard).

Im not sure where to get started on the above, but it will be coming in some form at some point.
Its our job to inform I guess.

If I remember right the specific example I am thinking of is in regards to Adams pertaining to the ctapers they use and also the Matrix shafts. Amazing to me even after Adams says there is no difference people continued to say that they were made for shafts. This was pretty recent before TM bought them but not much before.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I missed out on the initial shaft discussion earlier,

I know, quite honestly, nothing about shafts. I have only ever played stock shafts in my irons, woods and wedges. The only "shaft experimentation" I have done is with my 910D2, which arrived to me with 2 shafts, one of which was much easier for me to get the ball up in the air with, not having to swing nearly as aggressively to obtain better results.

I see things here everyday about THP'ers getting new shafts, wanting new shafts, and what they have thought works and didn't. eg. the Red Tie that is on the minds of a lot of people. For people without the knowledge, or even the ability to get on a fitting cart to try different combinations, it honestly seems like a very intimidating thing to get into.

I really look forward to hearing more on your thoughts JB. For the average person at home, like myself, this could really help straighten out some of the information/misinformation that is out there.

Thinking of re shafting my Apex pros. Maybe put a set of KBS Tours in them. Either S or S+.

I haven't really had them on the course but I always like to tinker. Maybe I should just wait until I can play a few rounds with them.

Thinking of re shafting my Apex pros. Maybe put a set of KBS Tours in them. Either S or S+.

I haven't really had them on the course but I always like to tinker. Maybe I should just wait until I can play a few rounds with them.

Whats up with the tour vs? You not liking them??

Whats up with the tour vs? You not liking them??

It's not so much that. Just curious if I can get more out of the tours without thinking I have to swing hard.

I think cabin fever is hitting me bad. I got a little taste of outside golf yesterday and I now my mind is whirling.

It's not so much that. Just curious if I can get more out of the tours without thinking I have to swing hard.

I think cabin fever is hitting me bad. I got a little taste of outside golf yesterday and I now my mind is whirling.

HAha I think it is cabin fever for sure. I am going to the range and to play 18 tomorrow. I always ponder stuff when I cannot play, heck I bought a Betti the other day for no reason other than I thought it was awesome. I need spring to get here haha

HAha I think it is cabin fever for sure. I am going to the range and to play 18 tomorrow. I always ponder stuff when I cannot play, heck I bought a Betti the other day for no reason other than I thought it was awesome. I need spring to get here haha

Haha. That's a fact. I will say the top of my bag is firmly in place. Dang am I excited to get out and play.

Watch one of the interviews with Kim. IIRC, he says that he thinks players can play stiffer and get better results. That's a big paraphrase, but I think you can do whatever you want dude. The Tour Vs in X for me are money.

The amount of misinformation about equipment in the online world is fascinating to me. I mean just flat out wrong information put out as fact. I will start with "made for" shafts and soon will have real information on them, what they are, what is different and so on. The idea that they are a lesser version to the standard shaft is just completely wrong. In some cases they are not anything like the standard version. In other cases tolerances are actually significantly tighter than the standard version.

I think it goes back to the idea that on the internet the shaft is the holy grail and if one is hitting something poorly, it must be a shaft thing because its never the swing.

Spoke with 5 shaft experts this past week (guys who create the shaft) and so much of the bullsh!t that is out there or believed on shafts is laughable. Im working on a story, or should say I am contemplating a story, but I dont even know where to begin its so bad. Here is an example. This from a so called "expert" on shafts on some message board (this was pulled by a shaft guy as an example, not by me).

"The difference between the aftermarket version and the made for is the tip is softer, the torque rating is higher and the weight is lighter. Basically the company wants the ball to launch higher and then have it be a bit cheaper in total cost."

Now here is the real definition of this particular shaft. The tip is actually the same, but the mid section is softened because the head it was going into was a low launcher and very low spin. The golfers on tour commented that the shaft was a bit boardy, so they made the mid section (12 inches from the tip in this case) a bit softer so the average golfer (90-105) can feel the shaft load and unload. The launch was virtually the same in most testing. The materials are nearly identical and the torsional rating is completely dependent on how it is measured. The tolerances are actually tighter in the non-aftermarket version because this specific company requires a certain tolerance that no other does right now. If you look at the two shafts and one was colored differently, they would not be named the same thing. The company took a hot shaft name and had it massaged to match the club head. Not watered down to save costs."

Now as soon as the info was posted about this driver, one of the first posts was "Is this a made for shaft"? Then a conversation later in this thread ensued on how the made for did not work for them, but ABC shaft worked perfectly. The best part of that is that ABC shaft is almost identical in every characteristic to the made for. All the way down to the materials, where the shaft flags are located, weight, etc. "Made for" did not get a shot, because of some meaning behind it only on the internet.

Im not sure where I am going on this, and I know there are some that will follow up with "not in my experience", etc...But people deserve to have honest facts, not the bulls!t that gets regurgitated by people that read a lot and think they know what they are talking about.

So this, this to me is honest to God well beyond intriguing.

There are a couple things that I personally know I need to learn more about right now and this is one of them (the other is bounce), this is what its all about, EDUCATION, busting the BS and laying it all out there. People will do with it what they will, but the vast majority will eat something more in depth on this up.

I'm not too proud to say that I definitely did bug the hell out of you today to go through with this, I want to learn, period.

So this, this to me is honest to God well beyond intriguing.

There are a couple things that I personally know I need to learn more about right now and this is one of them (the other is bounce), this is what its all about, EDUCATION, busting the BS and laying it all out there. People will do with it what they will, but the vast majority will eat something more in depth on this up.

I'm not too proud to say that I definitely did bug the hell out of you today to go through with this, I want to learn, period.

I'm the same way. I learn new stuff about this sport everyday and I literally feel like I've only scratched the surface.

Going to paint fill my putter with red white and blue testors paint and planning on buying a new grip. I use a standard size grip and I'm leaning towards Iomic, but can't decide whether to get a red, white, or blue grip! Help me decide!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I'm the same way. I learn new stuff about this sport everyday and I literally feel like I've only scratched the surface.

Amen dude. They day I stop wanting to learn is the day I walk away. Many THINK they know it all, but in reality, they aren't even close 95% of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back