Taylormade Tour Preferred CB Iron Review Thread

Man that's long I bet a good 30 yards longer than the average tour pro
I was skeptical, but I did ask when I was getting fitted, and they did say he was smashing the cover off the ball (he just got fitted a couple weeks ago). He's playing the new Nike combo irons at a +1/1.5 length. He swings hard and generally shoots a couple strokes below me.

I would gladly give up my distance to drop a few strokes :/

My goal is to shoot under my personal best of 86 this year.

Great Goal! I have to ask a question. If you are hitting the ball those crazy distances, what part of the game is holding you back from shooting under 86? Do you chip and putt with a blindfold on? :act-up: Lots of penalty strokes? I am just curious cause I consider myself a fairly long player and I only carry my 7 iron about 165 - 170. For reference, I am playing to about a 4 handicap and I definitely would not consider myself having a world class short game either.

Man that's long I bet a good 30 yards longer than the average tour pro

I always question the accuracy of the numbers from store simulators (the sim not the person sharing). I hit the cb 6i on a store monitor and had one shot carry 215 and then rolled out to 238. Couldn't help but just laugh. The rest of the shots were much more reasonable around the 185-190 range.

Great Goal! I have to ask a question. If you are hitting the ball those crazy distances, what part of the game is holding you back from shooting under 86? Do you chip and putt with a blindfold on? :act-up: Lots of penalty strokes? I am just curious cause I consider myself a fairly long player and I only carry my 7 iron about 165 - 170. For reference, I am playing to about a 4 handicap and I definitely would not consider myself having a world class short game either.

Could be its own thread, but the answer for me is consistency/accuracy. I'm still young and in good shape I can hit the ball pretty hard just not always the most accurate. I shot 6 over on 9 holes yesterday and 4 of those strokes were from 2 blowup holes getting in trouble off the tee. The shots weren't even that off line just ended up in the wrong spot. I don't have a great short game either I don't recover as well as better players do. For the most part I'd say just little mistakes that up.

Last edited:

My irons and putting. This was the sole reason for me getting fitted. They're so inconsistent. I can come through with two identical swings and one will go straight, the next will fade/slice. I was told at the fitting that this is caused by a shaft that's too soft for me. We tested my swing speed with the strain gauge shaft. My 6i, as I said, averaged 95
The KBS X-stiff seemed to alleviate the inconsistency on Trackman.

Anyway, back on topic. Can't wait for my CB's to arrive!

Thanks to Mike @ TMaG! After having distance issues and flight issues with my custom CBs for testing (KBS Tour), they're going to re-shaft them to my standard DG S300s with the same length and lie as my JPX 800 Pros to be sure they're identical. I really want these to work for me, hopefully the lower launching shaft gives me the distance I lost.

Thanks TaylorMade!

Also I'm going to play golf with Mike @ TMaG during his vacation to St Augustine!

Now that's impressive customer service!

My back is feeling much better this week, so I'm going to try to get out this weekend and take some swings with my CBs on the course. These things are so nice looking and the Aerotech shafts have felt really good when I got to hit them, so I'm excited to get back on the course.

I've been lusting to hit these well since January and just haven't been able to swing the club very well, but I do catch myself going into the cave just to pull them out of the bag to admire them. Simply one of the best looking clubs I've ever had.

Did your new toys come in Cookie?

And the clubs have arrived!! I can't say THANK YOU enough to THP and TaylorMade Golf for making this happen, this was truly a very special experience that I do not take for granted one bit!!

Think I need an impromptu range session tomorrow to spend time with these new beauties that are CUSTOM built to MY specs, I'm giddy with excitement! :)

Looking good cookie. Can't wait to hear how that range session goes.

Cookie, I really do think you will enjoy them.

Cookie, I really do think you will enjoy them.
The CB 3i has vastly become on E&D my favs off the tee. Just so easy to hit and it powers through what ever element I am playing in

Great looking sticks Cookie. Hope they work well for you!

They look good, cookie! Hit them well!

Smalls did you ever order yours?

Smalls did you ever order yours?

I go in on Wednesday. Had issues finding a place that knew about this. Tried GolfTec (authorized retailer) and they ended up not calling me back. Found out we have a TMPL here in KC (a place I have gone before) and they knew all about it and they set me up right away.

I go in on Wednesday. Had issues finding a place that knew about this. Tried GolfTec (authorized retailer) and they ended up not calling me back. Found out we have a TMPL here in KC (a place I have gone before) and they knew all about it and they set me up right away.

Nice!! Should be fun

Nice coffee table!

Tapping away on my Galaxy 2 Note

Did that fancy Tour Preferred box say "do not refuse" on it? That sticker makes me laugh.

Martin City?

Did that fancy Tour Preferred box say "do not refuse" on it? That sticker makes me laugh.

This one?

Few more pics...still can't believe this happened!

That's the one! Hilarious sticker. I also like the dumbbells. Guns get the girls

Back