PING i25 Driver - THP Review Thread

You have to remember, average doesn't mean bad necessarily, having hit pretty much all of the new releases average doesn't mean bad at all.

True, true. Probably didn't do a good job of wording that. I was trying to say (poorly) that I was pleasantly surprised by the distance I saw.

When I got a hold of the ball for me only the SLDR has been longer however this was more forgiving to me. I was also able to get the ball under 4000 rpm for me which is an accomplishment. The best part of fitting was realizing that I apparently like heavy shafts which was something I did not know before.

Look forward to hearing more. Maybe it's just how I'm reading it but you seem a little underwhelmed by the club. Are you going to play around with the settings a little and see if you can get more of what your looking for.

Look forward to hearing more. Maybe it's just how I'm reading it but you seem a little underwhelmed by the club. Are you going to play around with the settings a little and see if you can get more of what your looking for.

Not underwhelmed at all, its been what I expected so far, low spin, decent launch for the spin, definitely added forgiveness in there that will surprise quite a few as well.

The driver market is thick right now with competition, tons of solid options for everyone providing they know what traits they need the most. This one is a solid head that many will really enjoy, I just want more time with it to see the specific traits with which it performs before I jump to too many conclusions, hence the subdued and factual nature/info.

Not underwhelmed at all, its been what I expected so far, low spin, decent launch for the spin, definitely added forgiveness in there that will surprise quite a few as well.

The driver market is thick right now with competition, tons of solid options for everyone providing they know what traits they need the most. This one is a solid head that many will really enjoy, I just want more time with it to see the specific traits with which it performs before I jump to too many conclusions, hence the subdued and factual nature/info.

Here's something that has struck me about this driver, since we've chatted here about it. I am completely whelmed by it. It didn't blow my shoes off only to disappoint later. But it didn't really push me to want something more from it. Keep in mind I've only hit it a few times in a simulator, but each time has left me content.

Here's something that has struck me about this driver, since we've chatted here about it. I am completely whelmed by it. It didn't blow my shoes off only to disappoint later. But it didn't really push me to want something more from it. Keep in mind I've only hit it a few times in a simulator, but each time has left me content.

That's how I felt about it. Nothing really stands out and not a whole lot of buzz or major marketing behind it but when you hit it, it just performs like a champ for me. I left asking myself what else could I want in a driver. The numbers out of my limited testing this year has this at the tops and all the subjective stuff is there. JMan has the review covered so next time I go back I will have more info.

That's how I felt about it. Nothing really stands out and not a whole lot of buzz or major marketing behind it but when you hit it, it just performs like a champ for me. I left asking myself what else could I want in a driver. The numbers out of my limited testing this year has this at the tops and all the subjective stuff is there. JMan has the review covered so next time I go back I will have more info.

This driver has stood out to me more than many of the other 2014 releases. Part of me really likes how under the radar it is.

This driver has stood out to me more than many of the other 2014 releases. Part of me really likes how under the radar it is.

That's a good way to put it, completely agree with ya.

I am just really loving this driver right now. I tried another shaft in it for a few swings, but was quickly back in the stock model. This PWR 65 Tour S is just right for me. I have always been in between most stiff and X stiff shafts for feel alone in past drivers--I ended up with X stiff lighter shafts to get the feel I wanted. But this Tour stiff (which would be like S+) is just the ticket. I can go at it and it does not get whippy and I can go easy and doesn't feel like it looses kick.

Spent some more time with this one yesterday.

Again, the forgiveness is what stands out as surprising. The alignment works, the sound will be ok by the majority of standards as well. It's a great looking driver.

I'm still seeing solid launch out of it, which is nice, the ball wants to go. Distance wise though I would say it's average for me, not more, not less. That's not a knock at all, it's a well rounded driver and tuned in it could undoubtedly be even better for many. On drivers, PING is consistent, they perform and do as they claim, they may not flash but they do their job, I respect the heck out of that.

Spent some more time with this one yesterday.

Again, the forgiveness is what stands out as surprising. The alignment works, the sound will be ok by the majority of standards as well. It's a great looking driver.

I'm still seeing solid launch out of it, which is nice, the ball wants to go. Distance wise though I would say it's average for me, not more, not less. That's not a knock at all, it's a well rounded driver and tuned in it could undoubtedly be even better for many. On drivers, PING is consistent, they perform and do as they claim, they may not flash but they do their job, I respect the heck out of that.

Sounds nice a nicely well rounded driver eh buddy?

Give me your updated thoughts on the stock shaft. How's the launch for you with the weight in the head supposedly bringing the weight downward to lower launch? When I hit it in stock in the sim, I found it to be a bit less stable than some of the other stock offerings. Not to say the ball or swing got out of hand, just felt a little more give on contact.

Sounds nice a nicely well rounded driver eh buddy?

Give me your updated thoughts on the stock shaft. How's the launch for you with the weight in the head supposedly bringing the weight downward to lower launch? When I hit it in stock in the sim, I found it to be a bit less stable than some of the other stock offerings. Not to say the ball or swing got out of hand, just felt a little more give on contact.

It is, not the flashiest, but it doesn't have glaring weaknesses either.

That's been the surprise for me, I anticipated a LOW launch, but it's been anything but, really a nice mid launch again and again. I like the shaft a good bit, it keeps up for me and I don't get that twisting sensation on misses which is always nice.

It is, not the flashiest, but it doesn't have glaring weaknesses either.

That's been the surprise for me, I anticipated a LOW launch, but it's been anything but, really a nice mid launch again and again. I like the shaft a good bit, it keeps up for me and I don't get that twisting sensation on misses which is always nice.

Similar experiences for me on flight in the limited time I spent with it. I know some have suggested low launching, but even at 9.5 it was still higher than others at 10.5. Maybe more mid to mid-high with the stock shaft. I'll attest to the subtleties of the head graphics. Was very pleasantly surprised by that.

Have you tried the + and - setting? I'm curious to know if the racing stripes aligned you off line.

Have you tried the + and - setting? I'm curious to know if the racing stripes aligned you off line.

Yes I have, just like I thought in here about it earlier, because the change increments with this adapter are so small scale the change simply is not noticeable to the eye for me at all. Plus, I think it's something PING would have thought about before putting stripes on the driver.

Jman, I happen to really like this driver and was wondering why if you had any ideas , the tour guys would still be using the G25? Personally I think the G25 is solid also just something I was pondering.

Jman, I happen to really like this driver and was wondering why if you had any ideas , the tour guys would still be using the G25? Personally I think the G25 is solid also just something I was pondering.

It's all about fitting in the end, the i25 offers a lot more forgiveness than we have seen out of the i-Series before but it's still not as much as the G-series. Plus, it's likely they are just looking for certain launch/spin characteristics that that head offers them over the i25, could be a lot of things really.

I haven't hit many of the new releases but I was pleasantly surprised by the i25. It does seem to be under the radar compared to the TM and Callaway releases. I think this one will surprise a lot of people.

It's all about fitting in the end, the i25 offers a lot more forgiveness than we have seen out of the i-Series before but it's still not as much as the G-series. Plus, it's likely they are just looking for certain launch/spin characteristics that that head offers them over the i25, could be a lot of things really.

Do you think they almost "get away" with what other companies get criticized for? Right now they have the G, I and Anser in line and its very hard to distinguish the differences between them. It used to be an open and closed thing, plus lower spin. Now they all appear to have similar depth and spin, plus adjustability.

Do you think they almost "get away" with what other companies get criticized for? Right now they have the G, I and Anser in line and its very hard to distinguish the differences between them. It used to be an open and closed thing, plus lower spin. Now they all appear to have similar depth and spin, plus adjustability.

I do, I think because of the name they get away with a lot more. By that, not that their name is more recognizable bc we know everyone knows TM, Cally, PING, etc, but rather that for some reason because of the history and aura of "tradition" they get a pass.

I just wrapped up my review on this one but the question by Salisboss has had me sitting here and thinking, I found a lot of what PING claimed to be accurate with this driver but I cannot help but wonder with what we are seeing from who is choosing to play what that if I took the G25 out would I see that much of a difference? As you said, we know what the adjustability does, open/close/ta-daa, none of their heads have ever been what I would call "high" spinners, and with the exception of the Anser they all sound like PING drivers and seem to launch well. Its a very curious thing to me as well being totally honest.

Even though I play a blue amp cell, the biggest thing I liked of the i25 relative to the G25 was the matte finish vs the glossy G25. In truth the fitter only tried the i25 with me based on my current numbers but I have hit both and gotten distance numbers in the same ballpark except for about 500-700 less rpm from the i25.

I think alot of the 'pass' they get is that they aren't crazy flashy advertisers and have a rep for quality. I also appreciate their opinion of needing a fitting rather than a seemingly 'do it yourself' adjustment concept even though I love the myFly and Smartpad on my Amp Cell I have realized that I need a fitting to figure out what shaft would work better than the Fuel. If I hadn't met the Ping fitter I would not have known that the PWR75 was better for me than the 55 that comes on most of the retail units that I have been able to find.

After a couple of stray drives, I focused on the stripes for a few swings and was right back down the middle, love seeing the stripes go through the ball

It is an interesting question. The others that get criticized tend to market more directly on distance (X yards longer, etc), whereas Ping seems to be more generic with marketing. Some claim the distance approach blurs the lines between products. Ping more or less says nothing to distinguish the products in marketing materials, which should raise the same confusion issues. Maybe it is just a reaction to the less bold marketing declarations??? Maybe the historic differentiation between lines is just understood by consumers enough that it has built up some immunity to the regular complaints???

I think the majority of the reason they 'get away with' releasing clubs at the frequency they do is they stick to the identity they have setup for each line of clubs. If you're a better player you should look at the i series. If you need more help and forgiveness try the g series. The other OEMs don't put near as much emphasis on differentiating their club lines for different player skill levels.

Tappin it up

I think the criticism might be more from the frequency if the release cycle per line. Ping spreads it out nicely with alternate updates

Back