The 2014 WGC - Cadillac Championship [Spoilers]

I love his confidence. He voiced his self confidence and didn't disrespect anybody

I honestly don't get what the stink is and why people would hate the guy for believing in himself?

Didn't all the best players in the world talk like that when they were still young and full of confidence. I am sure he will settle down and not speak so brazenly but why fault a guy for believing in himself and trying to make it in a very tough career choice.

I believe in being modest no matter how high you get in this world. I sensed very little modesty from the young man.

I respect for his success so far, but won't be cheering for him because of how he carries himself. Similar to why I won't cheer for Bubba.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I honestly don't get what the stink is and why people would hate the guy for believing in himself?

Didn't all the best players in the world talk like that when they were still young and full of confidence. I am sure he will settle down and not speak so brazenly but why fault a guy for believing in himself and trying to make it in a very tough career choice.

Be humble.

When Kuchar and rory and guys like that were #1 they didn't need to tell people how good they were, they let their games speak for it.

Every year there's a few guys that start off hot like a Johnson Wagner and heck even jimmy walker....will be interesting to see if he flames out by years end like those guys or not. Or perhaps he is the real deal.

But regardless there is no need to tell people how great you are...or how great u think you are. You can be confident without being a douche

I believe in being modest no matter how high you get in this world. I sensed very little modesty from the young man.

I respect for his success so far, but won't be cheering for him because of how he carries himself. Similar to why I won't cheer for Bubba.

He is modest. I dont see why saying that you believe you have the game to be top 5 in the world is anything short of confidence.

Its not like he was calling out people saying that they suck and they shouldn't be ranked higher than him. He merely stated that he thinks he has the game to be Top 5 in world. I think its a good thing to believe in yourself.

That is not why he wears it. He said himself he wears it because growing up he idolized what Tiger did on the golf course. And modeled his work ethic after him.
Hopefully it works out better for his Wife

Its already happened. And he has won 3 times in the last 8 months. I would say he is a pretty resilient guy and will grind it out and put the work in to win and make a good life for himself.

I hope it continues for him. I just feel like there are other guys that have started hot and fizzled fairly quick. Just a really bold statement which won't win many hearts over. I guess I'm just a fan of gracious winners that say thanks and move forward.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Be humble.

When Kuchar and rory and guys like that were #1 they didn't need to tell people how good they were, they let their games speak for it.

Every year there's a few guys that start off hot like a Johnson Wagner and heck even jimmy walker....will be interesting to see if he flames out by years end like those guys or not. Or perhaps he is the real deal.

But regardless there is no need to tell people how great you are...or how great u think you are. You can be confident without being a douche

He was talking to an interviewer. Not to certain people. You wouldnt tell someone in the media that you are playing well and think you have the game to be Top 5 in the world? Its not calling anyone out, merely stating that you think you have some serious game and have a chance to make a splash in the world of professional golf.

I hope it continues for him. I just feel like there are other guys that have started hot and fizzled fairly quick. Just a really bold statement which won't win many hearts over. I guess I'm just a fan of gracious winners that say thanks and move forward.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

I think he showed that after he won. Shook hands with Dufner and his caddy hugged his wife and went to the scorers table.

But it seems like I am on the wrong side of this conversation and will be happy for the guy and bow out.

He was talking to an interviewer. Not to certain people. You wouldnt tell someone in the media that you are playing well and think you have the game to be Top 5 in the world? Its not calling anyone out, merely stating that you think you have some serious game and have a chance to make a splash in the world of professional golf.

We can agree to disagree then. But I'm not crazy seeing I'm not the only one thinking this way.

And I think you would agree with me if he was a non callaway guy #alien

We can agree to disagree then. But I'm not crazy seeing I'm not the only one thinking this way.

It has nothing to do with him being a Callaway guy. I just like the fact that he believes in himself and shows it on the course by grinding out some wins in some tough fields.

He is modest. I dont see why saying that you believe you have the game to be top 5 in the world is anything short of confidence.

Its not like he was calling out people saying that they suck and they shouldn't be ranked higher than him. He merely stated that he thinks he has the game to be Top 5 in world. I think its a good thing to believe in yourself.

That's fine. I don't agree with the way he handled himself and you do. Nothing wrong with that. Neither one of us are wrong.

Be humble.

None of those guys went on to beat the top 50 (the entire top 50) at the WGC and did it at 23.

I understand the sentiment, but its funny how it works. When some do it, its called sense of humor or intensity and others its called immature. I get that people want humble. For me, I want anything that is not a cliche that says "Im glad to be here".

It wont be for everybody, and I might be a bit skewed as I have met him and he is one of the nicer kids out there, but I hate PC interviews and I prefer answers to the question when asked.

Something about him tells me he doesn't quite work as hard as Tiger, but to each his own...

He can think whatever he wants, but to say it is borderline disrespectful to guys who have been out there longer and have accomplished a lot more than him over time... He may be hot now, but this game can quickly turn stars into minor leaguers. Put a few more years in and if he's still playing like this, then sure, he deserves it, but right now? C'mon. I don't know if this was a matter of him being better than the rest of the field or just the rest of the field crapping the bed. He did what he needed to do, can't deny it, though.

I'm with you on this. Was asked a question and he gave an honest answer. Some other guys may not have to comment on how good they are because announcers are doing that for him. Even after the Humana the media wasn't talking up any of his amateur & pro accomplishments.

Could he have answered the question with more tact? Probably, but a 23 yr just won the biggest tournament of his life and answered how he felt & that was refreshing to hear. It wasn't in anyone's face or directed at another player specifically, it was why he thought the was top 5 in the world. (Whether he is or isn't)

We all talk about wanting engaging and different personalities on tour and when we see one he gets killed. .

Last edited:
Well to each his own, he jumped into my top 5 favorite list. He also doesn't really use a caddy other than for carrying his clubs, which I think is pretty interesting. No one else to blame for a bad shot

It's an awesome win not debating that at all, field full of solid competition and he held his own on sunday despite almost blowing his 2nd large lead.

I just can't say he's one of the top 5 golfers out of the 7 billion on earth.

Well to each his own, he jumped into my top 5 favorite list. He also doesn't really use a caddy other than for carrying his clubs, which I think is pretty interesting. No one else to blame for a bad shot

Can't argue with this.

I guess Reed couldn't have won a better tournament. The golf course owner is a mirror image of him.

I'm the same way. He's obviously confident in himself, so what's the problem with him saying that? Most pro golfers say the same clichéd stuff all the time anyways, so it's cool to see a guy fully speak his mind.

We should start a Patrick Reed thread so we can complain about him. No different then the Tiger and Bubba threads

I'm a fan of Patrick Reed, congrats on the W.
Obviously so is Patrick, I wish he were just a little more humble, like a lot more humble actually.

Sounds to me as though he's a little jealous of the notoriety others have gotten. He'll grow up, and if he keeps winning, he'll get it.

QFT, this is the true acid test. Keep winning.

I don't really see what the big deal is. It was one interview. I don't think what he said is enough for us to sit here and berate the dude. He's young and he was obviously excited after winning. I would not have said what he did but I have no problem with it.

I also picked him for fantasy which makes me like him.

That 3 wins at 23 is a pretty impressive stat. And it's not like this is the Puerto Rico open. This was a stacked field.

He's an Augusta State guy, right? This should get him into The Masters?

I'm a fan. Hell of a win for him, it's a sports thing to have confidence and a little swagger about where you are at in your game isn't a bad thing IMO.

I'll stay out of all the rigamarole though and against just say congrats to the kid. Hell of a start to the year.

Back