What's with the fat professional golfers?

800 sounds reasonable. Unless you are driving the cart right up to the greens, you will still probably get a miles or so of walking in during a 18 hole round, plus the golf movements of playing 18 holes and just being alive for those 4.5 hours burning calories.

I'm out. I blame all of those "calories burned" counters on elliptical machines for these numbers.

I'm sorry. But those numbers are also ridiculous. I am not a fitness guru. I just lift weights. To me, no way does a person burn that many 400 calories a day by sitting on a couch. If that was the case, most personal trainers would just tell their clients to stay home and watch TV.

Your body burns between 1500-2000 calories a day just by being alive, not doing anything else.

I will say this, playing 18 holes of golf gives me enough weight watchers points to eat a sausage mcmuffin with egg meal.

Just sleeping you are burning calories, for me at my current weight (weight x .42) I am burning 101 calories an hour while I sleep.

I'll just cut to the chase in general. I am somewhat fit. Not "fat" by most people's standards. Who cares what someone looks like in general. If you want to not be "fit" what does it matter. Golf is a sport based on results. If a "fit" guy can't appreciate a "fat" guy playing golf at it's highest level then kindly ask them to go do the the things that the "fat" guy is doing on the course. I don't care if you run 10 miles a day. Good for you. I, for one, am just tired of fitness snobbery. I have the friends who post on FB all day about how many miles they run, how much they lift, etc. The more they work out and get fit the more annoying and judgmental they get.

So just curious, was this thread started because of the Patrick Reed win on Sunday or due to something totally different?

And now Tiger spends more time in the rehab van than the workout van.
Yep. I'm reminded of the line from baseball: you can't pull (as in pulled muscle) fat.

So just curious, was this thread started because of the Patrick Reed win on Sunday or due to something totally different?

With Stadler winning in Phoenix and Reed tearing it up, the physically fit contingent is worried that us fatties are ruining the game.

More people ride because courses won't let you walk.
And many of the community courses are not set up at all for walkers. Some have several tees close to 1/4 mile from the last hole, do that 6 or 7 times and it makes for a slow round of golf.

Fat guy winning started it.

So do those here think that Patrick Reed is fat?

I don't personally, he's just a big guy. But based on the timing of this thread its clear op does.

The fact that I've GPS'd myself at 6 miles during a round of golf reminds me I need to get back to the range :banghead:

those seem inflated a bit to me

Calories burned per MILE for a 160 Pound Person
Walking 3.0 mph - 85
Walking 4.0 mph - 91
Walking 5.0 mph - 116

7,000 yard course 5280 feet in a mile you will walk about 4 miles

I'm not sure where they get their numbers but the misinformation spewed during whatever tournament Clinton is associated with was astounding.

So do those here think that Patrick Reed is fat?

Reed looks to be slightly overweight, but in his defense, he should be wearing clothes that fit him better also as they make him look even more of a mess. When I see Reed walking the fairways, Pigpen comes to mind.

He looks like the average kid out of college who ate a lot of pizza while in school, let the man be.

Does it really matter? Fat/skinny whatever if you can golf you can golf? The whole thing was about golf being a sport... if your friends don't think golf is a sport tell them to go outside and try and play it.

He looks like the average kid out of college who ate a lot of pizza while in school, let the man be.

Sort of what I was getting at. What's funny is all the girl models on TV and ads that skew the "average" and it appears to happen with the men too. You have the Tigers, Rory's and Donaldson's (that dude was ripped in the footage I saw yesterday) and then the lean tall/short guys like Kirk, Watney, Henley. I think Reed is just an average looking dude that now gets the label of "fat" or "overweight" because of what we've come to see from a lot of the other players.

jack.jpg
img_story1-winners-06.jpg

Sort of what I was getting at. What's funny is all the girl models on TV and ads that skew the "average" and it appears to happen with the men too. You have the Tigers, Rory's and Donaldson's (that dude was ripped in the footage I saw yesterday) and then the lean tall/short guys like Kirk, Watney, Henley. I think Reed is just an average looking dude that now gets the label of "fat" or "overweight" because of what we've come to see from a lot of the other players.

Agreed dude.

But honestly, who the eff cares if he is fat. It doesn't make him any less of a golfer

Agreed dude.

But honestly, who the eff cares if he is fat. It doesn't make him any less of a golfer

No it doesn't, I think it's just hard for people to justify an average dude that puts just as much time into his game, if not more, than the others that "appear" to have worked harder.

No it doesn't, I think it's just hard for people to justify an average dude that puts just as much time into his game, if not more, than the others that "appear" to have worked harder.

I think that's a big part of it. Reed is young, kinda pudgy, wears ill fitting clothes that he admitedly copied from Tiger, has the weird front foot thing. People just look at him and wonder how is this guy beating one of the best fields in golf? Plus he's a bit cocky too, that doesn't help.

Back