New Game Golf system

Initial Thoughts of the Device:
Spoiler
Club Tracking:
For those that are trying to get the "real" picture of their club distances, this will not help you at the moment. All the tracking information for each club takes into account EVERY shot for a min/median/longest chart. I wasn't able to use the app since I do not own an IOS product and the Android version is not out yet. Not sure what you see when using said app on the course. You can do a manual best guess from within the graph they provide you though based on the majority of shots landing within a range. It won't give you a number, you will come up with it yourself.

This has been a long process since the investment and getting to use the product. I am not complaining about the length of time simply because I would want them to deliver a sound product and not just get something out there. They did just that. I used my Swing-by-Swing phone app to obtain my real time distances over several rounds last year, so I knew going in what they should be given a good swing.

Although using that phone app was intrusive to the actual game, I became pretty fluent in entering the information. Like most apps available it tracked my distances and I was able to notate if it was anything but a good shot as well. That shot would then not be included in my distance tracking, would still be in the round, but not something that would hinder a good average number.

As with all the apps and tracking, more data means better picture.

EASE OF USE:

Nothing out there that I know of is easier to use! It is so much fun and the only negative would be yourself and remembering to tag. I'm sure it will become second nature and with only 3 rounds under my belt so far, getting better already. It works...it just works...and well!

MISS SHOT TYPE:
With having no external buttons (aside from the power button), there is no way to notate what happened. I became used to being able to notate that on my phone app and it made for much easier explanations without the memory recall. The thinned, fat, toe, whatever your favorite goto is for the miss can't be notated. It's up to you and your memory and will counted against you in the club tracking distance category for now. I don't see a way to correct this, but who knows...you might be able to adjust when editing your round down the road.

GIR's and Fairways Hit:
This can be off as well. GPS is only so good, so it's nothing against the product. Just something to think about before you sign your card. Moving the shot location on the map can adjust the tracking software to be what actually happened. It can't tell if you were just a few feet into the first cut or on the fringe of the green. Just moving it a little can give or take away either of them. I error on the side of moving the distance back as well so not to fluff when correcting.

EDITING YOUR ROUND

I'm familiar with doing that from my phone app and same holds true here. You get what you put into the information and doing the editing as soon as you can will help in remembering each hole. At least for me anyway. This is also the ONLY point where this system takes a lot of time.

PIN PLACEMENT
They cut the green in 1/3's and place the pin general to where you putting takes you. The placements were pretty good for the most part, but sometimes it was a bit off and I had to adjust, or move, the pin to where I remembered it to be. Distances on putting a general and they don't use feet per putt, only short, medium, and long.

SIGNING YOUR CARD
Once your done editing and hit the button for signing your card, your done....period. No going back to make corrections you remember later, good or bad. That occured on the first round and one hole on the second, you learn quickly to double and triple check if you want the correct information.

NO ANDROID APP
That about sums it up, not happy about it, but they are working towards it. Don't know what I missed out on.

CUSTOMER SERVICE

Well, it's not even out yet and I've had great response with questions and have seen quick responses to others. I was a little concerned about it with how many times the product was pushed back, but no longer. Time will tell when the product starts to move, but nothing but great things up to this point.

TAG's BACKING OUT OF GRIP
Nothing to do with design, more of an issue for me. I sometimes have the palm of my back hand close to the butt of the grip. I've notice that after the few rounds, the tags were working their way out of some of the clubs. It was brought up by others during the testing, and the only thing I could think of was my palm is rubbing the tag and twisting it out over several shots. I've learned just to check them.

MAIN UNIT SECURE ON BELT

My first round was with multiple layers of clothing and didn't wear a belt. It clipped over my waist band just fine, but was checking to make sure it was there often. Of course I get to the green on 18 and it's not there...thankfully Kc720 saw it where I chipped from. It had slipped off and it is so light I didn't even feel it missing with so many layers. They listened to the testers and changed the clip to where it would provide more friction before the initial release. Something simple, but made the change before it went out. I highly recommend a belt, and check to make sure it is pushed down all the way if you wear a wide belt. I always take a quick drop of the hand to make sure it's secure getting in and out of a cart and after each shot, don't even think about it anymore, just automatic.

OVERALL IMPRESSION
I have been asked if it's worth the MSRP and I've answered both ways. YES and NO have been a knee jerk response, but one has to qualify it for themselves. If I had no other way to track my progress, then it may be worth the investment. Buying it today, solely on the aspect of getting your distances of each club...I would say NO. To many variables (contact category) that can not be accounted for or edited in the software at this time. The scoring clubs I can understand, we use them in a variety of ways; however, the mid to longer clubs are all a manual process or generalization.

This is SO EASY to use and the information provided without having a manual process getting into your round is THE BEST! Hands down without question. With Social Media taking it's foothold in golf, this fits in rather nicely.

Is it a manual process after the round...YES of course. Technology can only go so far, you have to manage the information regardless of what system you use to track whatever you track. Will the web based interface improve down the road, I think so. Just a few changes in regards to your ability to edit some of the data would go A LONG WAY!

You can use a phone/gps app from $15-$50 a year fee for all the tracking data. This is $250 and $50/yr after that for all inclusive package (it will function just fine without, but you will just get the basic info). What basic information will be provided after the first year I do not know.

What I do know is that if the opportunities that several have touched on are opened up (editing/deleting), nothing will touch this IMHO.

Each individual will have to make the determination if the ROI is there. The initial investment is pretty steep if you ask me, but for me and others that took the early jump...I feel we got a heck of a bargain.

WHEW!

I forgot you even had it. I'm not a failure, I can only be so many places at once.

That or it just means we need a round together.

I like that one better.

FIFY and I prefer the round my friend!

Mine is still sitting in the box. I need to do something here.

I just stumbled on this post and am now ready to buy this. I saw where people were looking for a code or coupon for a discount. Anyone have one they can tell me how to get? I want this but $250 is a little steep. Appreciate any help.

It was a pleasure to see you again buddy, but not enough interaction time. Have one of your BT staff install it for you, so easy they can do it on one of their breaks.

Mine has been ready to go for months....and will likely need to wait another month or so before I can use it. You Sir have no excuses.

Mine has been ready to go for months....and will likely need to wait another month or so before I can use it. You Sir have no excuses.

I know, I know. I was busy babysitting other THP'ers this weekend so lost track. I will get on this.

It was a pleasure to see you again buddy, but not enough interaction time. Have one of your BT staff install it for you, so easy they can do it on one of their breaks.

It did always seem like we were on the go from the start didn't it. Even dinner was a rush to talk to everyone and try and spend time with others. I though the exact same thing last night as I was thinking back my friend. That is a mulligan I need to take. Worst case it will happen come July! We'll have plenty of time to catch up.

I bought one of these. Should be here tomorrow. I've had my eye on this system for a long while now.

I got mine yesterday, charged it up and took it out for a quick 9 holes.

http://gamegolf.com/round/7216

I really like it. The best feature is it doesn't interfere with my round. I don't have to dedicate any effort to manually tracking info in my phone. All I have to do is remember to tag the shot. I found the web interface to be pretty intuitive. I didn't have any issues with setting up my bag or editing the round afterwards (I had to add a penalty stroke and add a drive that didn't get recorded). I did forget to adjust a couple of my tee shots that the system recorded as a missed fairway that were actually hits and didn't realize it until after I validated the round. I'll remember next time.

It looks as though the most requested features are designating chip shots as such so they don't distort your club yardages and some way to add penalty strokes during the round. For the 1st suggestion I am for the time being just doing what a few others have been: I took an old grip and cut off all but about 2 inches of the butt end and inserted the diamond tag. I'll keep it in my pocket and use it to tag any shot that I don't want to count towards yardage stats (chips, pitches, punches from trouble, putts from off the green, etc). I guess adding penalty strokes during the round would be nice, but it's not anything I'd make a fuss over. I didn't find it to be a hassle adding one during the score signing process.

Second round today. Very little editing needed tonight and it was spot on all for but a few holes where it didn't line up to the map exactly right but still had the FW and GIR correct.

Only problem is that my 9 iron tag is dead. Just isn't working. Have to contact support. Shouldn't be dead so soon. All other tags are just fine.

Just saw a commercial for this on tv this morning and hadnt heard of it before. So excuse me if I ask a question that may have already been asked and answered. How does it tell the difference between a practice swing and the actual shot? Is it something you have to add into your pre shot routine, to take your practice swing then tap it to register your real shot?

Just saw a commercial for this on tv this morning and hadnt heard of it before. So excuse me if I ask a question that may have already been asked and answered. How does it tell the difference between a practice swing and the actual shot? Is it something you have to add into your pre shot routine, to take your practice swing then tap it to register your real shot?

I don't think it matters, as long as you use the club you tapped. It keeps track of where you take each of your shots, so if you take your practice and actual shot from the same spot, it would register correctly.

If it's like some of the swing sensors, they can detect impact.

Im pretty sure this system just connects the dots. You tap it when you are ready to swing, and then it measures the distance between the location of that tap and the location of where you tap the next time. Then it uses gps and course maps to determine fairways hit, GIR, and whatever else.

Im pretty sure this system just connects the dots. You tap it when you are ready to swing, and then it measures the distance between the location of that tap and the location of where you tap the next time. Then it uses gps and course maps to determine fairways hit, GIR, and whatever else.

This is correct.

So if you take the time and do the math you can write all this down, it makes it easier yes, but I always mark my fairways and GIRs and putts to begin with

So if you take the time and do the math you can write all this down, it makes it easier yes, but I always mark my fairways and GIRs and putts to begin with

If you track your stats manually and are happy with that, don't buy this system. It's pretty simple logic.

I love it. Has given me new insights into my club distances and usage, as well as where I need to work in my game to save strokes.

I could never be bothered to record every stat this gear tracks for me.

Cool idea, not a fan of subscription based toys though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no subscription, they dropped that model.

You pay once.

Oh ok.....good to know. I will keep an eye on the reviews as they keep rolling....I'm intrigued.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mine should be here in a few days. I'm excited to try it out

Still thinking this one over, but the only reason I see to get it is for distance averages. I've been tracking everything else manually for so long that my system really works for me.

Still thinking this one over, but the only reason I see to get it is for distance averages. I've been tracking everything else manually for so long that my system really works for me.

So had I. Been using Golfshot app for years and also had started tracking more detailed GIR and Putting stats manually in addition. With Game Golf you do get the added bonus of the distances, but I can also do the detailed GIR tracking after the round instead of during - one less thing to worry about - because I can see exactly where I missed afterwards on the hole-by-hole at leisure. Also saves battery life on the phone a little, but not much.

Back