TaylorMade SLDR Driver - Review Thread

Just got an update from FedEx that my SLDR TP has arrived and is sitting on my front porch. Agony having to wait til 5pm to get home and open that box! But it finally arrived. Really excited to check this bad boy out. I got the Matrix 5X3 shaft, low spin and high launch. Got it cut down 1.5 inches. Today is better than most.

That sounds like a good pairing for that head it can be tough waiting to go home knowing a club delivery is waiting for you

That sounds like a good pairing for that head it can be tough waiting to go home knowing a club delivery is waiting for you

The day is moving at a snails pace. I may have to sneak out of the office early! And I am very intrigued by the head/shaft combo. I did a good amount of research before I finally pulled the trigger on that combo, but I am really eager to test it out.

The 14° heads are now hitting the stores, I just picked up my 14° driver, I had a 12° head and was just not getting the launch for me so I swapped the 12° for the 14° and I am getting better launch for me

The 14° heads are now hitting the stores, I just picked up my 14° driver, I had a 12° head and was just not getting the launch for me so I swapped the 12° for the 14° and I am getting better launch for me

Good to hear it seem that 14* is the new 12* with these low soin heads

War Eagle is going to love that 14 degree head.

War Eagle is going to love that 14 degree head.

I may even have to try it out...I need all the help I can get

Good.. I have been holding off on a driver purchase until I hit a 14' SLDR.

Funny - TM website still says the 14' is "coming soon," and I didn't see them on line?

Good.. I have been holding off on a driver purchase until I hit a 14' SLDR.

Funny - TM website still says the 14' is "coming soon," and I didn't see them on line?

I am in the U.K. and ordered the driver weeks ago, I was not expecting it until April, got a call today to say it arrived. The 14° SLDR does not even get a mention on the U.K. taylormade website.

i

Yeah I haven't heard anything about the 14 either

it's kind of funny seeing all the internet golfers wanting a 14 degree driver. I remember the day when it was taboo to play anything higher than 9.5 on the internet

it's kind of funny seeing all the internet golfers wanting a 14 degree driver. I remember the day when it was taboo to play anything higher than 9.5 on the internet

You haven't known me for that long.

I've never gamed anything under 10.5

You haven't known me for that long.

I've never gamed anything under 10.5

you are special. Although you hit my AMP Cell great set at 8.5

you are special. Although you hit my AMP Cell great set at 8.5

That's because I didn't know what it was set at

#allMental

That is still the case on some sites

That is still the case on some sites

Sure is. Kind of funny isn't it?
I'm really hoping I can get some good swings in with this at the TMPL this weekend. Need to see what loft will work for me #loftup

My instructor is a Titleist staffer. He hit my SLDR yesterday. He said it was the best feeling driver he has ever hit.

I do miss my 7* Ping TiSi driver.

I've yet to hit the SLDR. Is it THAT much better than any other driver on the market?

My instructor is a Titleist staffer. He hit my SLDR yesterday. He said it was the best feeling driver he has ever hit.
The GM at my course had a similar feeling when he hit mine

I've yet to hit the SLDR. Is it THAT much better than any other driver on the market?

After reading all the awesome reviews in the Big Bertha I wanted to like I but I couldn't get it to beat my current gamer for distance. When I first started hitting the BB I loved the tight dispersion pattern I was getting. The light shaft gave me good swing speed around 95. This driver is really forgiving, better than my current R1 driver. I was hoping for more distance but having hit it at least 60 to 70 times in two different sessions I was locked in a range probably 15 yards less than my current gamer. I ended up trying the TM SLDR stiff set at 11 degrees after the Golfsmith fitter said maybe I should try it as he told me he was not a BB fan for distance. It was long and longer with a good shot pattern. After trying the BB I was basically thinking I'm good to go this season with my better than most R1, but damn the SLDR was putting me with a club less approach shot to often to ignore. I walked out the door with it after I hitting it multiple times with a 14 degree launch angle, spin under 2000 and 30 yards longer than my best BB drive.

Last edited:

I remember when I had the "Biggest Big Bertha" and it was a 10.5 degree and people thought I was INSANE to have that type of loft.
I loved the carry though. Was a solid club all the way up until I caved the face in...

Feel wise, it's better than any other 2014 offering. As long a you get the center.

So I was able to take out the SLDR with the Kusala Silver shaft option that worked so well during my fitting. It did not disappoint. Behaved just as well on the course as it did during the fitting. Really liked the trajectory with this combination as it peaked a hair higher than I normally get and that has produced the 6 extra yards or so I think I am getting on the course. I did not have any measuring devices with me so I am basing the gain off similar length holes from last season (what I had left in yardage).

Now if I could get the weather to cooperate in NY I would not have to rely on my travels to play.

Back