Tending the Flag .... does anyone REALLY know how?

golfinnut

I NEVER SLICE!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
HEAT!
When you tend the flag for someone in your group ... how do you do it? Do you stand perfectly upright next to it? Do you stand on the "high" side where its breaking from? Do you cast a shadow over the line of the putt? Do you wrap the flag so it doesn't flap in the wind? Do you lay it just behind the hole so that a putt can hit it as it goes by the hole?
Watch the caddies on Tour. It should be done just as they do it.

1. Take the flag out of the actual hole and lean it on the side of the hole as you hold it ... so when you remove it after the putt is struck, this ensures that the flag is not stuck in the hole when you pull it out. I have seen this happen way too often. As soon as the ball nears the hole, the tender of the flag cannot get the flag out and it yanks out and either hits the ball or damages the hole in some way.
2. Determine where the break is .... stand on the bottom of the break (i.e. where the ball will end up after it goes by the hole) Do not stand on the "high" side ... where the player is aiming the putt.
3. Wrap the flag around the shaft as you are holding it ... this ensures the flag does not flap in the wind
4. Stand so as not to cast a shadow over the line of the putt.
5. Remove it in time. After all, the intention is just to show the player where the hole is ... so after the putt is struck, why does it need to be still in the hole?
6. After the flag is removed .... lay it somewhere out of play. Somewhere in the fringe is good ... don't be afraid to lay it far away from the hole if needed ... not where it could be struck by a stray putt that goes past the hole.
7. If you are the first to hole out in your group, you should be responsible for getting the flag back into the hole. Just common courtesy. It also ensures that no one leaves any clubs on the green if you just take the time to look around and be aware of your surroundings. The members of your group will thank you for it. "Hey don't forget your wedge!"

There is an art to tending the flag believe it or not.

Thoughts?? :bicker:

Shadow away from the hole..never let the shadow cover the hole. ( 3 yrs as a caddy in high school) .. Hated when older golfers would yell at me for this.. Even though ironically they couldn't break 100.. So did it really matter? Hmmm

Wrap the flag, stand with no shadow crossing the hole, the place it away from all balls on the green. If that doesn't work and someone you know well, sneak up behind them and buzz the flag over their head as they're putting. :)

Good list for everyone interested in expanding their golf etiquette knowledge.

The side you stand on can be tricky, especially if there is a high probability that the ball will end up on that side. You don't want them to have their 2nd putt go through any dents/marks your shoes make while you were tending.

It is amazing how few golfers there are that do #7. That is a pet peeve of mine.

The side you stand on can be tricky, especially if there is a high probability that the ball will end up on that side. You don't want them to have their 2nd putt go through any dents/marks your shoes make while you were tending.

It is amazing how few golfers there are that do #7. That is a pet peeve of mine.

As the putt is struck, you move your body around Back to the high side. The idea is to not stand in the line and the imaginary line past the intended line of the putt on the high side.

And an edit to my original post, it should not cast over the hole is correct as well. Do not cover the hole with your shadow or allow it to cross over the line.

7 is a huge pet peeve of mine as well. There is a guy who I always play with that never ever takes care of the flag when he finished up first. Drives me crazy

I usually tell them to pul the flag within 20 ft. After that its 90 percent lag so shadows and al that wont bother me.

Inside the 20 I just tend to say pull it. Trying to get someone to syand just right with no shadow and lower is just a pain.

The first to hole out is the one that needs the most "preeching" imo. So many times the first guy/girl just standing practicing their stroke when they should be getting the flag.

to be honest some of this is a bit over the top imo. I just try to respect others lines where I stand. You cant stand on the downside if two other lines will come from there. So there are other circumstances to consider. But Like I said just be respectfull and use common sence about it. Last thing we need is one to spend extra time just trying to worry about doing it all perfectly imo.

This is good info if I'm ever in a tournament (OC) and I need to tend the flag.
For friendly rounds I don't think my playing partners care about all these details as long as you use common sense.

When you tend the flag for someone in your group ... how do you do it? Do you stand perfectly upright next to it? Do you stand on the "high" side where its breaking from? Do you cast a shadow over the line of the putt? Do you wrap the flag so it doesn't flap in the wind? Do you lay it just behind the hole so that a putt can hit it as it goes by the hole?
Watch the caddies on Tour. It should be done just as they do it.

1. Take the flag out of the actual hole and lean it on the side of the hole as you hold it ... so when you remove it after the putt is struck, this ensures that the flag is not stuck in the hole when you pull it out. I have seen this happen way too often. As soon as the ball nears the hole, the tender of the flag cannot get the flag out and it yanks out and either hits the ball or damages the hole in some way.
2. Determine where the break is .... stand on the bottom of the break (i.e. where the ball will end up after it goes by the hole) Do not stand on the "high" side ... where the player is aiming the putt.
3. Wrap the flag around the shaft as you are holding it ... this ensures the flag does not flap in the wind
4. Stand so as not to cast a shadow over the line of the putt.
5. Remove it in time. After all, the intention is just to show the player where the hole is ... so after the putt is struck, why does it need to be still in the hole?
6. After the flag is removed .... lay it somewhere out of play. Somewhere in the fringe is good ... don't be afraid to lay it far away from the hole if needed ... not where it could be struck by a stray putt that goes past the hole.
7. If you are the first to hole out in your group, you should be responsible for getting the flag back into the hole. Just common courtesy. It also ensures that no one leaves any clubs on the green if you just take the time to look around and be aware of your surroundings. The members of your group will thank you for it. "Hey don't forget your wedge!"

There is an art to tending the flag believe it or not.

Thoughts?? :bicker:

I disagree with 1 and 2. As for number one, first pull the flag before the player is ready to putt to make sure it is not stuck and then put it back in the cup. If you are leaning it against the hole you can do damage to the hole.

As per number 2. A lesson I learned from reading a Tom Watson article years ago. Always have your caddie stand on the high side. It gives you more options to use as a target (ie his left big toe). Plus if you miss long your come back putt will not have to go through his foot prints. If the caddie/playing partner is below the hole and you miss low and long the footprints are right in your line.

to be honest some of this is a bit over the top imo. I just try to respect others lines where I stand. You cant stand on the downside if two other lines will come from there. So there are other circumstances to consider. But Like I said just be respectfull and use common sence about it. Last thing we need is one to spend extra time just trying to worry about doing it all perfectly imo.

You are right. It may be over the top and/or unnecessary, but it really does't take any longer or require much extra effort to take care of these things. Common sense is the key here. As long a people tend the flag as they would like to have it tended for them, no one will complain.

I typcially just stand there and hold it. Never have seen somebody whack a ball with the flag, much less damage the cup. And we wonder why people think golf is a stuffy sport :comp:

For me..I have trouble standing still ( it is a a bad habit) ... That is the only thing I work on..same with holding the flag. It comes from playing in a cart in solo rounds where I can play 18 in less than 1 hr 15 mins at times..

Patience, courteous..and stand still..and if u hole out first,,.grab the flag and wait for partner to finish up. Than put it back

some guys really get upset about this flag thing..almost heated arguments.. Doesn't bother me that much, but other...wheeew

Great thread actually. I have seen this process screwed up in so many different ways that some of them I just can't make up. Another thing I do, on top of the ones mentioned already (and I agree with all of them) is to stand back from the hole on the low side as far as I can from the hole as to not spike up the area if the player has to putt again around the area. It's impossible to get way back but I always try and leave a good 4-5 feet distance between the hole and where my feet are.

When I was younger and caddying, I was taught just like the OP.

I typcially just stand there and hold it. Never have seen somebody whack a ball with the flag, much less damage the cup. And we wonder why people think golf is a stuffy sport :comp:

I usually pull it and let it sit on the cup. I'm not as lucky as you, I actually pulled the entire cup out once =(. I felt bad.

I have, multiple times, but then again I'm playing just about year round. :alien:

About the only one I don't worry so much about is the shadow over the line. Sometimes the high side and the sun don't mix well and standing on the high side puts your shadow right in the way. I'd rather not stand on the low side and possibly in their line. The shadow doesn't happen too often, but when it does it's usually not a huge ordeal anyway.

The keeping the flag from making noise though when holding it. Huge pain. I know it annoys me just holding onto it so I quickly grab it and keep it from moving just in case the person putting gets easily annoyed by it as well.

I have, multiple times, but then again I'm playing just about year round. :alien:

Or your playing partners have really really slow reflexes *alienfacethingy*

Great list to remind us all of etiquette and common courtesy on the green. I think all of this is a common sense thing, try to be considerate and hopefully others will be when they tend the flag for you. Thank you!

Or your playing partners have really really slow reflexes *alienfacethingy*

I have been known to play with the senior citizen from time to time. How do you think I hold a 3 handicap right now?! They can't see the ball or count very well so my doubles translates to pars very quickly.
Grandpa_Angry.gif

I don't really do all this stuff I don't think...

Big Time Nate must really hate playing with me hehe

I have been known to play with the senior citizen from time to time. How do you think I hold a 3 handicap right now?! They can't see the ball or count very well so my doubles translates to pars very quickly.
Grandpa_Angry.gif

Ha! This is why I play by myself so often.

I don't really do all this stuff I don't think...

Big Time Nate must really hate playing with me hehe

I just chalk up all your stuff to being young. I will teach you the ways of the flagstick soon.

Back