Now, I ain't even average :-)

UVaWahoo

Reaction score
Handicap
My current index is a 16.4. A few years ago, I read in a magazine that the average handicap for a man was around 17. So I figured I could at least claim to be an average golfer. In a current magazine, I read that the average male index is around 14.5. So while the world has gotten better, I've been just about the same, so I ain't average anymore. I now appear to officiallly be a less than average hacker. Somewhat depressing, but I have learned to accept my fate..

My current index is a 16.4. A few years ago, I read in a magazine that the average handicap for a man was around 17. So I figured I could at least claim to be an average golfer. In a current magazine, I read that the average male index is around 14.5. So while the world has gotten better, I've been just about the same, so I ain't average anymore. I now appear to officiallly be a less than average hacker. Somewhat depressing, but I have learned to accept my fate..

you could use it as motivation to shave a few strokes off the ol index

Have to think there are tons of weekend warriors that don't have a cap that would skew that number higher if that makes it sting a little less as well

If your handicap is 16, I would be willing to bet that you can beat 80% of the people that play golf.

If you're still vertical, able to play, and enjoy the game it shouldn't be hard to realize that it could always be worse

If you're still vertical, able to play, and enjoy the game it shouldn't be hard to realize that it could always be worse

Believe me, I appreciate that I am still playing on the green side of the grass. In preparation for my soon retirement, I have taken lessons, been fitted for clubs and just received them. Since a man must know his limitations, I will never be in the A flight, but I intend to be one heck of a B as long as I remain on the green side of the grass. Retirement and golf, they were made for each other.

I would find it shocking if the average male index is 14.5, but I'm assuming that is probably an average of people who actually have official handicaps. There's no way the average male golfer is a 14.5, though, unless I live in some otherworldly outpost of golf purgatory.

I would find it shocking if the average male index is 14.5, but I'm assuming that is probably an average of people who actually have official handicaps. There's no way the average male golfer is a 14.5, though, unless I live in some otherworldly outpost of golf purgatory.

I agree, I think there was a thread on this exact topic a couple weeks ago. That may be the avg handicap of a golf enthusiast who actually registers for a handicap index. That doesn't include the millions of golfers who play without an official handicap which would increase that number to probably a 30 handicap avg. I believe the overall survey conducted for the statistic is the avg golfer won't see a score below 100 in his lifetime.

Exactly. There's nothing I've ever seen on any course that suggests that if people are scoring the right way.

The average player doesn't even keep a handicap. I'd guess that 20-30%% of golfers at most carry a handicap, and those are the ones most serious about the game. I think the average handicap is 17-18. That means that if you're playing legitimate golf to a sub 18 handicap, you're way, way better than average.

The "average" golfer can't break 100. I think I've read studies that suggest that 50% of people on a course in a weekend won't break 100, 30% play between 90-100 and then 20% people play below 90.

There's also sadly some ridiculous percentage of the population that will never, scoring legitimately, break 100. They'll play their entire "career" and not be able to do it. I don't know what that number is, but I've read it and it was higher than one would think.

All of these examples suggest some serious data fidelity issues with the numbers cited in these articles. That's another discussion though.

Exactly. There's nothing I've ever seen on any course that suggests that if people are scoring the right way.

The average player doesn't even keep a handicap. I'd guess that 20-30%% of golfers at most carry a handicap, and those are the ones most serious about the game. I think the average handicap is 17-18. That means that if you're playing legitimate golf to a sub 18 handicap, you're way, way better than average.

The "average" golfer can't break 100. I think I've read studies that suggest that 50% of people on a course in a weekend won't break 100, 30% play between 90-100 and then 20% people play below 90.

There's also sadly some ridiculous percentage of the population that will never, scoring legitimately, break 100. They'll play their entire "career" and not be able to do it. I don't know what that number is, but I've read it and it was higher than one would think.

All of these examples suggest some serious data fidelity issues with the numbers cited in these articles. That's another discussion though.

That seems about right my local coures has a high % of those who can't break 100 and being behind them sucks

I don't agree that the average man is a 14.5. I think it is much higher. I've been teaching this crazy game for years and golfers as a whole are worse.

I saw that article and agree with these guys that there is a big difference between average of guys who keep a handicap and averages of who plays golf. You are way better than most. But you can also keep getting that HC lower too. I went from that area to a 10.7 currently. Keep at it and you will too.

The average golfer also lies out his ass.

Last edited:
this is a good topic imo.
As most have said I agree the real average is much higher. I am often upset that after over 20 years (sometimes very little golf) but after all that time I can only occasionally shoot in the 80's but then I realized something.
Playing as a single for many years and being paired with all kinds of people there really is not a whole bunch of people so much better than me. Very often others are about the same and very often worse. And I usually golf early am when better and more avid players also try to golf and still not too many people can manage 90's (at my local courses).

Very many people don't run a cap and so many who do also cheat for bragging rights. Don't count bad rounds, don't play the rules, etc , etc.. so even the average cap is probably worse than what is recorded. Some people inflate their cap to cheat in competitive play which helps higher the average but I think many more by far do cheat to make it lower so they can brag.

I would be surprised if all who golf even 10 rounds a year were to figure a cap that it would be a much higher average. The way I see it if I shoot in the 90's (at my locals) I am probably better than half the people that played them all weekend. if I have a round in the 80's I am in a fairly small percentile.

I don't agree that the average man is a 14.5. I think it is much higher. I've been teaching this crazy game for years and golfers as a whole are worse.

My assumption is much the same. At my course, which is private, I doubt the handicap average is that low. I use it as an example because I see them as gentlemen who are committed to the game rather than the weekend warriors, which I would only assume to be higher.

My assumption is much the same. At my course, which is private, I doubt the handicap average is that low. I use it as an example because I see them as gentlemen who are committed to the game rather than the weekend warriors, which I would only assume to be higher.

The only thing that has improved is club sales and OEM marketing. Everyone feels the newest club will improve their game and has actually made them worse.

I believe the overall survey conducted for the statistic is the avg golfer won't see a score below 100 in his lifetime.
I hope I am not the average golfer then. With all the time and effort I am putting into lessons I better see a score below 100 before this summer is over!

The average golfer also lies out his ass.

Oh man they do i thought the guy telling me he was hitting is 8 iron 190yrds on the range this weekend was being honest :laugh:

I hope I am not the average golfer then. With all the time and effort I am putting into lessons I better see a score below 100 before this summer is over!

But putting effort into the game is the first part of being better than avg.

"Canadan". I do understand what you meant but committed is probably not the right term. Plenty weekend warriors are also just as committed. Just because one doesn't play competitively, run a cap or play as often does not at all mean they are not as committed within their own resources. True there will be a greater amount of less committed players within that weekend warrior bunch but that weekend warrior bunch is so large that there may be more committed players there vs the amount that play during the week, run a cap, play competitively, and play a lot.

"Canadan". I do understand what you meant but committed is probably not the right term. Plenty weekend warriors are also just as committed. Just because one doesn't play competitively, run a cap or play as often does not at all mean they are not as committed within their own resources. True there will be a greater amount of less committed players within that weekend warrior bunch but that weekend warrior bunch is so large that there may be more committed players there vs the amount that play during the week, run a cap, play competitively, and play a lot.

I completely disagree. I think the vast majority of golfer think there is a magic pill that will make them better. If the power of the mind will make them better. The fact that golfer are, IMO, worse today than 10 years ago tells me WW golfers aren't committed

I'm not sure where that 14.5 average handicap came from, but my observation is that a legit 16 handicap golfer will beat 80-90% of the people who venture onto a golf course.

Well, I just think that group of WW is just so very large an amount of people that even though the percentage of those more committed to the game is a smaller percentage, it still leaves so very many who are. In large numbers too many to rope into one category of non commitment. But I can understand the generalization.

Back