Iron Shaft Length and Fitting

Typically, height is the only thing people think about when it comes to shaft length, but I have always understood it as being more of a combination of height and natural swing plane. Obviously bending lie angles can help alleviate some problems that may come from improper shaft lengths. When it comes to side effects, having a shaft too short would tend to make the lie angle too flat meaning you would have a greater chance of digging the toe into the ground, and too long would tend to make them too upright and could cause you to dig the heel. Like I said though, some peoples natural swing plane counters these effects and therefore having something that is traditionally thought of as too short or too long turns out to be just right. Like just about everything else in fitting, the trial and error method seems to be the best course of action.

I see a lot of posts in this thread talking about lengths showing certain misses. I have to ask, how are people able to hit wedges then? Wouldn't they completely miss?

Then add in the point that so many post all the time about shorter irons being more precise for each golfer. I think there are a lot of misconceptions about this topic that hopefully THP can tackle soon.

I see a lot of posts in this thread talking about lengths showing certain misses. I have to ask, how are people able to hit wedges then? Wouldn't they completely miss?

Then add in the point that so many post all the time about shorter irons being more precise for each golfer. I think there are a lot of misconceptions about this topic that hopefully THP can tackle soon.

Me too. I am always up for a little learning.

I play all my irons and even wedges half under standard. If they're too long, my hands seem to just automatically grip down to where they would fall on my club.

Some interesting talk in here. I've always been fitted to longer irons. I'm 6'1"ish, and always attributed it to that. My first set was +1" up 2˚ as I had a far more upright swing. When I was fit to the i20s, I was fit to +.5" down 1˚ which while a big change, I've been able to adapt to pretty well. I do have doubts though. Sometimes I think that I'd be better off in a shorter shaft from a consistency standpoint. Every time I've gone in with questions though, the initial measurements have been confirmed on the monitor, impact tape, lie board, etc.

Too long for me I'd imagine would lead to fats and heel side shots. I do catch them a little thick sometimes, but my miss is predominantly on the toe. Fat and thin shots for me are usually due to swing or setup issues. After a couple of consultations with my fitter last year, I'm happy with the length. I think I could maybe benefit from a more upright lie, but my issues are largely mental at this point, so I'm not messing with anything right now.

I read through this thread and I always come back to this picture in my mind:

images-5_zps127ef1c8.jpeg

What is standard? OEM's have different lengths for different models. So saying one should never go over 1/2" or something like that, is really a poor statement as there is no such thing as standard.

Last edited:
I read through this thread and I always come back to this picture in my mind:

images-5_zps127ef1c8.jpeg

What is standard? OEM's have different lengths for different models. So saying one should never go of 1/2" or something like that, is really a poor statement as there is no such thing as standard.

It's so true. Obviously getting into the flex points of each brand are a thread of their own, but with the addition of length/loft to that which is deemed 'distance' irons, I'm starting to get less and less confident about what is truly stock. It seems like there is a relatively decent baseline on clubs like traditional blades, but what is 'stock' is something I think about all the time.

Thanks for chiming in people.

Have you gotten on a lie board with stock length irons? I'm of similar height and a simple adjustment from stock to 1* upright sorted out any fade I was putting on the ball.

My current irons are 2 up

Talk to me a little about iron shaft length if you will.

What are side effects of an iron that is too short for you?
What are side effects of an iron that is too long for you?

Too short of a length on your shortest iron in the bag and you run the chance of tilting over to much and getting overly steep. To long a length in your longest iron and you run the change of having a flat shoulder turn and all the issues that come with it.

Very interesting topic. I've never been fit for irons and absolutely cannot wait to do my first in a couple of weeks when I purchase new sticks. Im currently playing stock length and lie but at 6'3" I also wondered if this was right. Over the years I've questioned if I just got used to hitting them and my miss comes from my swing being off or if a proper fitting would have me making much better contact. I think for me it's a combo of lessons and hopefully this proper fitting will have me completely dialed in. Time will tell, I'll report back with results

I wish standard shaft length was consistent across all OEM's.

I play shorter irons because I have better contact that way. I went by the 8 iron which was my best club and then went in 1/4" gaps to the other clubs. I find that the shorter clubs keep me down on the ball better where when I played longer irons I was great off the tee but struggled with the long irons off the deck.

Agree, every club is 1/2 inch different with most standard sets. if your +1 inch on an 8 then its just like a standard 6 iron. All of this to say that I think you base on general comfort and the lie angle for each club is what matters most with dynamic lie fitting (tape and a strike board) And dynamic lie changes with flex--that is why I go to someone who tests each club and adjusts on the spot.

Liked the replies on this thread. Not everyone can grab a set of clubs off the rack and have success. My clubs are plus 1 and that has made a world of difference in my game (not that a casual observer would notice but trust me). It's not just height I'm 6'3" but body structure. I have long arms but a big chest and back and wide shoulders. A lankier golfer with my height and limbs might not need longer length but it helped me.

I'm 6'3 and have played +1, standard, -.25, +1/2 and even +.25. I don't notice a difference with the shorter irons at all. I can hit a standard length 7i just as well as I can hit it +1. Where I run into trouble is with the 3-5. For some reason, I can actually notice the length and I have a very hard time making good contact.

I think proper length is nice to have, but not required. You can adjust your body to accommodate your equipment if it's a hair short. But I think clubs being too long causes more problems for people. Just my opinion though.

Personally, I can go shorter but not longer. My timing gets out of whack when the shaft gets too long. Shorter I can make up for by either getting closer to the ball or bending my knees. The straighter up and down I get, the more I struggle.

Personally, I can go shorter but not longer. My timing gets out of whack when the shaft gets too long. Shorter I can make up for by either getting closer to the ball or bending my knees. The straighter up and down I get, the more I struggle.

Yeah...I don't know what it is with longer.

Thanks for the all the replies. It's a subject I actually don't know a whole bunch about. Ended up sticking with normal specs after consulting with a wiser man than myself.

Thanks for the all the replies. It's a subject I actually don't know a whole bunch about. Ended up sticking with normal specs after consulting with a wiser man than myself.

Hawk, how tall are you out of curiosity?

I am 6-1

I have always played standard. 2 years ago I was fit for the 1st time at +3/4 and 3*up.

Standard - Not much of a difference in feel until the round is nearing the end. I feel it in my back BUT divots were always toe down and the ball was always going right.

Fit @ +3/4 - Back does not hurt as much and NOW my miss is way left but my wanted/preferred shot is a small fade.

To be honest, being fit is good to know but my swing has changed and will require a new fitting. I found the best part about it is knowing the length, eases aches and pains if that makes any sense.

I'm 6'3 and have played +1, standard, -.25, +1/2 and even +.25. I don't notice a difference with the shorter irons at all. I can hit a standard length 7i just as well as I can hit it +1. Where I run into trouble is with the 3-5. For some reason, I can actually notice the length and I have a very hard time making good contact.

I think proper length is nice to have, but not required. You can adjust your body to accommodate your equipment if it's a hair short. But I think clubs being too long causes more problems for people. Just my opinion though.

Im the exact same way. Also 6' 3" and struggle with contact with the longer irons. Cant wait to see what a fitting brings, especially with those clubs

Im the exact same way. Also 6' 3" and struggle with contact with the longer irons. Cant wait to see what a fitting brings, especially with those clubs

The key is finding the longest iron you are comfortable with and making that your stopping point. Once you have that number just 1/2 step from that point down and you have a good set of clubs. If it gets too short near the bottom you can play all your wedges at the same length. Just adjust the lofts for gaps.

Back