PING Ketsch Putter Preview

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Ping-Ketsch-Putter_960_t640.jpg

This mallet-style putter has an aluminum body with a stainless steel plate in the sole. It features Ping's TR (True Roll) grooves in the face.

An adjustable length shaft (31 to 38 inches) is optional. Lie adjustability is plus or minus two degrees.

Big fan of the true roll, and am pleased they continue to offer adjustable models for optimal tinkering.

Yep, I'm interested. Give me that 38" with that fantastic alignment aid. I see good things happening.

Nothing flashy. Straight to the point. If it performs then why not game it? Anyone know the weight of the putter?

edit: 355 grams

Forgive my ignorance, but is aluminum rather uncommon for a putter material? And isn't it softer/more malleable than traditional stainless or carbon steel?

• Admin
Forgive my ignorance, but is aluminum rather uncommon for a putter material? And isn't it softer/more malleable than traditional stainless or carbon steel?

Its actually becoming more and more common.
Its funny you asked this, because I asked the same question a few years back and to summarize, yes, it is a different type of material. Strength is measured multiple ways and one of them being amount of weight it can handle. This would make it more malleable than steel, but when comparing the actual weight of the metal, not the same story. Aluminum that is 1/3rd the weight can handle more than half the weight of steel.

Airplane grade aluminum will not offer any issues in terms of durability for most golfers.

Hope this helps.

interesting! variable depth grooves, steel plate on the bottom of an aluminum head... seemingly a very "engineering company" putter...

Really like the look of this one. The alignment aid with the contrasting white on black works for me, and I've heard good things about the True Roll grooves.

Its funny you asked this, because I asked the same question a few years back and to summarize, yes, it is a different type of material. Strength is measured multiple ways and one of them being amount of weight it can handle. This would make it more malleable than steel, but when comparing the actual weight of the metal, not the same story. Aluminum that is 1/3rd the weight can handle more than half the weight of steel.

Airplane grade aluminum will not offer any issues in terms of durability for most golfers.

Hope this helps.

What you forgot to mention is that aluminum is also quite soft as far as metal goes.. Hard strikes or repeated nudges might affect the finish, if the material striking the aluminium is harder..
Though for putting it's a perfectly good material.. But I would have that headcover on while rambling around with other clubs in the bag..
/ Almdudler

Sent from my Ericsson Hotline 900

What you forgot to mention is that aluminum is also quite soft as far as metal goes.. Hard strikes or repeated nudges might affect the finish, if the material striking the aluminium is harder..
Though for putting it's a perfectly good material.. But I would have that headcover on while rambling around with other clubs in the bag..
/ Almdudler

Sent from my Ericsson Hotline 900

While true, it is softer (which was stated above), the strikes a putt puts on the ball would almost never cause issue. Which is why we see it almost exclusively on putters. But the softness is overstated in my opinion. With the amount of force tested on airplanes, and the force they withstand, there is no reason to believe that a putter would have a different fate.

This is based on our previous testing of Slotline among others, that used aluminum and shared a black finish.

Hope this helps.

With the light weight material used, how light is this head? Or do they use other weights to get it into the range that most people are used to from more traditional materials?

I don't know why, but the no-nonsense head almost looks cheap to me. I'm sure it works, but with so many exotic putters out there, this one just stands out as being plain Jane, which I don't think is good or bad, just the way it's coming off on first looks.

This putter interests me alot! I'm anxious to hear reviews.

While true, it is softer (which was stated above), the strikes a putt puts on the ball would almost never cause issue. Which is why we see it almost exclusively on putters. But the softness is overstated in my opinion. With the amount of force tested on airplanes, and the force they withstand, there is no reason to believe that a putter would have a different fate.

This is based on our previous testing of Slotline among others, that used aluminum and shared a black finish.

I'd say the only issue that I've seen with an aluminum putter (the Method Concept) versus some of the other putters I've had is that the scuffing is a bit more noticeable on the sharper top edge. I do think this is partly due to headcover design/bag chatter though.

I like this one and want to give it a roll

I enjoy large putters and I enjoy the TR face......I want to try.

I absolutely love that long alignment aid! I'm definately going to give this a roll.

Ping-Ketsch-Putter_960_t640.jpg

This mallet-style putter has an aluminum body with a stainless steel plate in the sole. It features Ping's TR (True Roll) grooves in the face.

An adjustable length shaft (31 to 38 inches) is optional. Lie adjustability is plus or minus two degrees.

Didn't Mahan roll a putter similar to this last year? I thought I saw him with a mallet type of putter a few times.

I agree that it looks like it can frame the ball well and help with putting. The TR is as good as advertised. I rolled a few in the store and it felt really good.

I kind of like it. Need to see it in person. But I have been a fan of their mallet offerings in the past few years. I used to like the 3 alignment aids on my old ghost corza putter, so I'm glad to see that incorporated here.

Very Nome-esque. However, this one actually looks good.

Love the TR insert as well.

I would say that we are expressing the same opinion! :act-up:

I just wanted to point out that it should be handled with care where it might be in touch with other harder materials like the other clubs in the bag.. Since I have experienced the wear of aluminum products before (current putter is partly aluminum) and I have also crafted products of it myself..

On topic again - The Ketsch design are fantastic! If I'd been in the market for a mallet I would definitely roll this one!

Intriguing. I really want to roll this putter, and with my enjoyment of the GEL and Yes! lines, I can envision me really liking this. Add to it that very long sight line and it's a mallet I could see taking up residence in my bag. I'm starting to really love all things Ping.

Last edited:
Looks like a great point and shoot alignment aid with a head shape that fits my eye.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a question regarding the adjustable length. Is there a system in place so that the grip remains square to the putter face?
I remember sharing a round with WarEagle where he struggled a little with confidence in knowing that the Grip was staying square.

I like the shape and the alignment aid looks really good. Very interested in the ability to adjust lie as well. I've seen quite a few people putt where it looks like the putter head is doing a wheelie! Of course, they might need 10 degrees of adjustment, but I find the ability to tinker with that very intriguing.

Interesting, I really like the alignment aids on it.

Back