Lower End Choices & Gapping

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
So I am in a rather unique situation. Something I have not really dealt with in the past, but one that is causing me to have some fun choices. My bag and distances (measured via GPS & launch monitor on range). These are carry distances.

Metal Woods
Driver - 250+
Big Bertha 3 Wood - 230
Cleveland Mashie FW 5 wood - 210-215

Irons
5 Iron - 185

Right now I have a X2Hot 3 hybrid and I am hitting that about 210. My previous hybrid was 200 yards and this one ranges from 200-210 depending on if I step on it or not. So that leaves me questioning my setup.

Now I can take something off the 3 hybrid and have it go 195, but I am wondering if I am looking at this wrong and should remove the 5 wood and go with an X2Hot 4 hybrid to cover that 195 gap. That would leave me like this

205-210

Now it looks more consistent and more importantly in an area where I am more inclined to have the green light than having another fairway wood that I am not using as much since the 3 hybrid has given me more distance. The other option is changing the 3 hybrid to just a 4 hybrid and stepping on it when I need to or taking a bit off the 5 wood.

Im more or less thinking out loud here, but its an area I have been thinking a lot about recently and it came into play once today and I ended up choosing poorly.

I say scrap the 5 wood and go 4 hybo. The gaps look better to me

I am having the same issues right now as well. I have my 3H going almost as far as my 5w and am thinking of taking the 3H down to a 4 and filling the gap a little better that way.

If I were you I think I would be more comfortable in the second setup and getting rid of the 5w. I think the gapping that way would help you out better and give you a better chance for success without having try and take something off of a club. Of course if you are more comfortable taking something off than grabbing some extra yardage than the other one would work well too. Haha

Kind of a catch 22 here me thinks.

I think i would pull the 5 wood at that distance 5 yards diffrence will not be much
I always prefer to take a full swing rather than partials

I agree with WCBM, the gaps look much better and the hybo would probably be a little more consistent.

I agree with WBCM, the gaps look much better and the hybo would probably be a little more consistent.

I guess my only question would be what are you losing by taking the 5 wood out? Tee shots? As in what is the 5 wood bagged for ? For me it is for off the tee. I hit that club significantly better than my hybrids off the tee.

Seems to be a common problem when sticking some of the new tech gear out there. Personally I would get rid of the 5w. Taking something off to get less yardage usually equals to putting on a lazy messed up swing for me. Plus the shorter length shafts on the hybo means more consistency for me

I guess you might want to look into some sort of "success %" when you "step on it". To me, that implies that you are not using your normal swing. If you can get a club to fill that gap, that uses your normal swing, that would seem like the best solution.

• Admin
I guess my only question would be what are you losing by taking the 5 wood out? Tee shots? As in what is the 5 wood bagged for ? For me it is for off the tee. I hit that club significantly better than my hybrids off the tee.

The 5 wood is great off the tee and deck. Easiest fairway wood I have ever hit off the deck. But at the same time, the hybrid is very easy and I am almost getting that distance.

If it was me and those were my distances, I would want to go with the more consistent gaps and the hybo. It sounds like maybe the more consistent gaps would be a little more comfortable for you? Sort of reading into it a little maybe. If so, the comfort would maybe foster some additional confidence. It would for me.

Make sense?

JM

I think I see an x2hot 4 hybrid in your future. This is one part of my bag I really need to figure out for 2014. It will be interesting to see which way you go.

Exactly why I went 4 hybrid in the X2Hot, they just go and go like my old 3 hybrid. I'm not one to give advice, but if you love the 3 hybrid like I think you do, a 4 would look great right next to it in the bag.

The 5 wood is great off the tee and deck. Easiest fairway wood I have ever hit off the deck. But at the same time, the hybrid is very easy and I am almost getting that distance.

I think you just answered your own question right there.
I have fallen in love with the hybrids and now only carry a driver and 3 wood.
The gaps look great with that hybrid combo.

I think I would go with the 4 hybrid and remove the 5w. I think it would be better to take your full swing with the 4h than to take some off for the 5w and possibly miss hit it. IMO

Echo what others say and say drop the 5w and stick in the 4 hybrid. Sucks to pull a club you have confidence in, but if you're hitting the 3h pretty much the same distance then it doesn't make sense to duplicate.

I think I see an x2hot 4 hybrid in your future. This is one part of my bag I really need to figure out for 2014. It will be interesting to see which way you go.

I happen to have one too.

Play the 4 hybrid head with the shaft at the 3 hybrid length. You get the height of the 4 hybrid and a little extra length to bridge the gap to the 5 wood.

Personally I would take the 5 wood out and add a 4 hybrid. Which club do you use the least in a round? I tracked my usage of each club for about two months and found I used my 5 wood pretty much once every two rounds or so it came out of the bag after I realized how little I actually used it.

I dropped the 5 wood a couple of years ago for this very reason. The distance gap between my 3 hybrid and 5 wood was so small, I did not need to carry both.

Personally, I'd go with the 3 and 4 hybrids and drop the 5 wood. I just find hybrids to be much more versatile (from the rough, for punch shots under branches, from fairway bunkers) than a fairway wood. Since the distance is virtually the same, I think you gain flexibility and get better gapping to boot.

Personally, I'd go with the 3 and 4 hybrids and drop the 5 wood. I just find hybrids to be much more versatile (from the rough, for punch shots under branches, from fairway bunkers) than a fairway wood. Since the distance is virtually the same, I think you gain flexibility and get better gapping to boot.

Couldn't agree more but it's no secret that I'm a lover of hybrids.

As others have said, you seem to hit both equally well so it comes down to which you can hit more often.

Like Brett said, I just find hybrids more versatile.

I do one of these

I bring back the old hybrid
I take the BB 3 wood, add more loft, ditch the 5 wood and add the 4 hybrid.

I do one of these

I bring back the old hybrid
I take the BB 3 wood, add more loft, ditch the 5 wood and add the 4 hybrid.

I have thought about those options too. I still have the old hybrid. I played it for a long time and loved it.

I have thought about those options too. I still have the old hybrid. I played it for a long time and loved it.

and played it quite well. It's an interesting decision. It's an area of my bag that I am constantly tinkering with.

Like others have said I like the versatility that hybrids provide. Distances being close to the same & being able to hit your hybrids off the tee if needed is a big plus and even more reason to ditch the 5W.

I was in a similar situation last year where I took a step back and looked at the top of my bag. I not only looked at distance gaps but how many times I use my hybrid versus my FW. After a few rounds it was clear I needed to ditch the FW & add hybrids. This also allowed me to manage my way around a course better and not try to hit the hero shot with my FW that I knew I Was 50/50 at best executing. The hybrids have me confidence & subsequently had me working on those touch shots (50yd & in). Scores went down & penalties from an unplayable 2nd shot were greatly reduced.

Back