Cleveland 588 Altitude Hybrid Irons Preview

Well, I took the plunge on the Altitudes.

I picked up a set of 4-DW with the regular graphite shafts on the Bay for about $240. It was a deal I couldn't resist. I figured if I didn't like the shafts, I could get them reshafted and still be ahead.

They are getting here Thursday. I can't wait to get them to the indoor range this weekend!

Abso-freaking-lutely!

Thanks buddy!

No problemo.

I'm going to have to grab another set this fall I think. I just miss having them to take out now and again. Plus, the 4/5 were SO lethal for me.

Talked my uncle into grabbing a set. I am looking forward to stealing them a few times this summer.

Well, I took the plunge on the Altitudes.

I picked up a set of 4-DW with the regular graphite shafts on the Bay for about $240. It was a deal I couldn't resist. I figured if I didn't like the shafts, I could get them reshafted and still be ahead.

They are getting here Thursday. I can't wait to get them to the indoor range this weekend!

Nice deal!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Been loving my set, getting some lamkin iomic yellow grips put on today. Haven't had the DW in the bag, but going to give it a shot.

My 3/4 PW shots haven't been so good and I think a full easy swing with the DW will help me at 100 yards.

Putting a 4 wood and taking out my 3&5 woods to put a gap/DW wedge in the bag.

Been loving my set, getting some lamkin iomic yellow grips put on today. Haven't had the DW in the bag, but going to give it a shot.

My 3/4 PW shots haven't been so good and I think a full easy swing with the DW will help me at 100 yards.

Putting a 4 wood and taking out my 3&5 woods to put a gap/DW wedge in the bag.

The DW might just be my favorite club. Easy to hit, good accuracy and provides the right gapping to my scor wedges.

One thing I forgot about these was how much they resist curving. I've been playing a draw with the speedblades, but I found with these its really just best to aim directly at your target and swing. The shafts are a little on the flexible side for me I think, so I'm really trying to put a smooth. in tempo strike on the ball and good things are happening. Long, high and straight. When I really tried to turn over a 3 hyron for extra distance on one hole, it only drew about 5 yards total. There's something to be said for aiming directly at the target and then watching the ball go exactly that direction.

I'm really looking forward to better weather the end of this week where I can try these on a course again. But I'm not seeing any downside to playing these full time.

You might consider getting the flexes checked in those shafts if you are able. I love the Altitudes, but the stock graphite shafts that come with them are not very good, in my experience. Mine have been performing much better since replacing the shafts. When I had them replaced they checked the flexes of the stock shafts and said they were all over the place and that a couple were even flexing out at close to senior.

Easy8: I love that you're playing to a 3.6 handicap with Altitudes. I think that is awesome. :)

rushamania: I think the 4W over the 3/5 is the way to go. I made that switch a couple of years ago and haven't looked back. The 4W is maybe 10 yards shorter, but gets me in less trouble than the 3W. Heck, I've even considered taking it one step further and just going with a 5W. Even as a shorter player, I don't really need +10 more yards up top.

I need more consistent gaps down low that an extra wedge provides, or the ability to carry a specialty club (e.g. a thriver, a chipper, etc.). In my current setup, that is a 60 degree, high bounce wedge that I use exclusively out of the sand. It lets me carry a Niblick 56, which I'm way better with on full swings, pitches and chips than I ever was with a 56 degree SW.

Easy8: I love that you're playing to a 3.6 handicap with Altitudes. I think that is awesome. :)

rushamania: I think the 4W over the 3/5 is the way to go. I made that switch a couple of years ago and haven't looked back. The 4W is maybe 10 yards shorter, but gets me in less trouble than the 3W. Heck, I've even considered taking it one step further and just going with a 5W. Even as a shorter player, I don't really need +10 more yards up top.

I need more consistent gaps down low that an extra wedge provides, or the ability to carry a specialty club (e.g. a thriver, a chipper, etc.). In my current setup, that is a 60 degree, high bounce wedge that I use exclusively out of the sand. It lets me carry a Niblick 56, which I'm way better with on full swings, pitches and chips than I ever was with a 56 degree SW.

Cool, thanks for the response!

I will have a 4w and 7w in the bag , then 4-DW in the 'Tudes.

You might consider getting the flexes checked in those shafts if you are able. I love the Altitudes, but the stock graphite shafts that come with them are not very good, in my experience. Mine have been performing much better since replacing the shafts. When I had them replaced they checked the flexes of the stock shafts and said they were all over the place and that a couple were even flexing out at close to senior.

Interesting. How do you like the Matrix Kujoh shafts? How do they launch in comparison to the stock shafts?

Found a 6i (stock steel stiff) to hit today while trying a bunch of other irons. I had to give it a try since it is hard to find these around here with anything other than reg flex steel shafts, if you can find any at all. Anyway, I shouldn't have done it! Now I'm getting pulled in by the siren song of distance again. I was really looking to go back to more traditional lofts like the razr x forged III's, S55, AP2, etc because of the distance control issues I have had with 'hot' irons the last few years.

Now I can't stop thinking about these, 205 average carry on the LM without any wild hooks. Granted, it's just LM numbers at the moment, but I know for a fact that I can hit my DI-11 6i 2oo if I step on it, except that it often hooks like crazy when trying to do so.

The Altitudes didn't seem to be going offline very much at all, and didn't seem (emphasis on seem) to require as much effort to hit the 6i that far. I guess I'm just going to have to get a set of these to see if this pans out in the real world. If it does then I'm gonna be set. I won't care if thees are some of the ugliest irons ever. I already have an ugly swing, why not have ugly irons to match?

[iQUOTE=BamBooBender;2899252]The Altitudes didn't seem to be going offline very much at all, and didn't seem (emphasis on seem) to require as much effort to hit the 6i that far. I guess I'm just going to have to get a set of these to see if this pans out in the real world. If it does then I'm gonna be set. I won't care if thees are some of the ugliest irons ever. I already have an ugly swing, why not have ugly irons to match?[/QUOTE]

I had very similar experiences when looking for new irons. I hit the Altitudes further and higher than any other iron set. They are ugly, but they do perform really well.

Everyone that has hit mine doesn't care about the looks.

You have to hit them, then judge!

I'm over the looks already, and I have only hit them a few times.

It only took a few a balls at the range and I quickly got over the looks. I'd rather have the performance over looks any day.

Tappin' from my Samsung Note 3

Same here. Performance is my only real goal when buying new equipment, and not just distance, but consistency, and confidence.

6-PW are ready for action!

Very nice Cookie. Making me really miss my set a ton.

I really would love to have a set of these irons. Maybe one day I can catch a set on the bay and try em out. :golf2:

Those look awesome Cookie!

Very nice Cookie. Making me really miss my set a ton.

I know I was so I had to get them back in play, as well as I *can* play with other irons, I'm dumb not to simplify the game if I can and these do that for me.

These in combination with a solid tee game could mean me playing my best golf ever.

I really would love to have a set of these irons. Maybe one day I can catch a set on the bay and try em out. :golf2:

I'm looking every day for a set. Heck I'd just buy new if I could find them locally with the right shafts.

I'm looking every day for a set. Heck I'd just buy new if I could find them locally with the right shafts.

Yep. I would definitely go with graphite and these puppies are still expensive so I will have to wait to try em.

Great looking set there #Cookie. I know you loved them in Branson last year. Glad you got some in your hands again.

JM

I know I was so I had to get them back in play, as well as I *can* play with other irons, I'm dumb not to simplify the game if I can and these do that for me.

These in combination with a solid tee game could mean me playing my best golf ever.

Exactly why I'm so interested in these.

Yep. I would definitely go with graphite and these puppies are still expensive so I will have to wait to try em.

Definitely looking for the graphite shafts, at least to begin with. If the stock shafts work out, great. If they don't at least I can re shaft them, which I can't really do with the DI-11's (as good as they are).

Back