Odyssey Tank Putters Review Thread

Nice reviews guys. Keep up the good work.

The Versa #7 tank looks like a winner, Icey. I agree that the talons on the back of the #7 head are perfect for picking up the ball.

For those who have been using a conventional putter before this testing, how has your speed control been with the Tank? I'm always concerned that speed control would be an issue with a heavier putter like this.

Thanks again, guys, and keep up the good work.

The Versa #7 tank looks like a winner, Icey. I agree that the talons on the back of the #7 head are perfect for picking up the ball.

For those who have been using a conventional putter before this testing, how has your speed control been with the Tank? I'm always concerned that speed control would be an issue with a heavier putter like this.

I couldn't resist taking it out for a few rolls!

I was surprised it wasn't as off as I expected, certainly a bit of getting used to, I had a tendency to come up a bit short, but I think that will also help me make a more confident stroke with this putter.

Big thanks to THP and Odyssey for this testing opportunity.

In for my review is a: Odyssey Tank Versa #7 38"
Direct from Odyssey:

It is a beauty to look at:

At Address:

Face:

A couple small things, the grip, has a very tacky feel and rubber finish. The colors look good and it feels great.
Spoiler

The cover not only looks good, but feels quite padded and I love magnetic covers.
Spoiler

First a little background, I got a chance to mess around with a 35" tank last year, I thought it felt quite heavy and almost difficult to control at times, I expected this to have the same feel, it surprising didn't, and that's a great thing. The balance and feel of the putter during the stroke is perfect. I think the 38" on this is great, my seemore cb is 39" and I think it may be a bit long. The heel shaft #7 head is perfect for this platform at this length. It's quite easy to choke up a bit on the grip and just let the putter do the work. It's quite effortless to make a stroke.

In the basement putting I first did with it I really liked how the head and versa pattern framed the ball before the putt. The white/black break that create the railroad track effect work awesome! The 3 black dots give you a sight line right off the ball and the color contrast lets you align to your line as well as then direct your foot line.

As a weird side note, but I know some pay attention to this, it was super easy to pick up a ball with the talons!

The face/feel of the putter were nice, but I can't wait to get it to the course to put it through some putts on the green. I have no doubts this will help me drain some putts. I may have gone CB and might never go back!

So in closing the word that kept coming up, I'm sure you could tell, was great, I've always thought of odyssey as a huge competitor in putters, I've played some of them in the past, including 2balls for a while, so I've always had my eye on them, but didn't know what to expect, and they exceeded my expectations so far with this. I can't wait to see the balls roll into the cup with it.

I am loving the look of that model, telling myself that I really don't need another putter but I will try one soon.

I am loving the look of that model, telling myself that I really don't need another putter but I will try one soon.
Give it a look, I'm impressed so far.

I haven't really put it to the test with long putts, but for 15-20 footers, I was very surprised how well I was able to gauge distance my first time out with it.

I'll be interested to hear how the testers treat long putts. I'm currently using a CB putter and find the long putts the move difficult. I find that I'll make trying to hit the ball harder (ie farther) is difficult. Something I'm working on for sure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I'll be interested to hear how the testers treat long putts. I'm currently using a CB putter and find the long putts the move difficult. I find that I'll make trying to hit the ball harder (ie farther) is difficult. Something I'm working on for sure.

That was something I meant to try out today, but the practice green was packed with a local college team for practice. I'll make this a priority for my next trip.

That was something I meant to try out today, but the practice green was packed with a local college team for practice. I'll make this a priority for my next trip.

I don't know if it's a mental thing for me or what. I hit 3 putts from the same spot, uphill from the fringe, and couldn't get it close. I don't know if you weight throws me off on the long putts or what.

That Versa #7 Tank looks serious. Love how that one sets up.

I haven't seen that with previous CB, but I'll make sure I pay attention with this.

It has arrived! I will now officially begin testing the Odyssey Tank #1 which measures 38 inches in length.

20140325_123330.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20140325_122917.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20140325_123220.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20140325_123502.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Aesthetics

I am sure that most who have not seen these putters in person, have seen some pictures. I actually found the looks to be much more appealing in person. The first thing that jumped out at me upon removing it from the box was the grip, which looks nearly double the length of a standard putter grip. Not that I pay too much attention to my grip when I am putting, but I was quite pleased with its bold nature. I am not sure what you would call it though, a mix between lightning and camouflage. Finally was the finish of the head itself. Everything I have seen, gave me the impression that the head was black. To my pleasant surprise I learned that it is actually what I would call a gunmetal finish, and I love the way it looks.

Initial feel/performance thoughts

As a disclaimer, all of todays performance thoughts are based on "carpet testing" so take it with a grain of salt. I will likely get it out on the course tomorrow as I battle the forecasted 20-30 mph winds. This is my first time using a counter balanced putter, first time even holding one for that matter, and I must say the sheer weight of the entire putter was quite striking. Once my initial shock regarding the weight had worn off, I found that I was very quickly becoming comfortable with it, and can already say with confidence, that I much prefer it over the lighter weight of a traditional putter. The one thing that undoubtedly took me longer to adjust to was the length, not only of the putter itself, but of the grip as well. Being someone that has always preferred the feel of a shorter putter (33"), the 38" length initially felt very cumbersome. The purpose of the added length is for the user to be able to have room to choke-down on the grip which effectively creates the high level of stability that Odyssey touts in this putter line. I can say with 100% certainty that this is no gimmick. After a bit of tinkering to determine the best location in which to grip the putter, it was very clear to me that I had never before rolled a putter that seemed to just have an innate ability to maintain a square face through contact. I did find that I was much more effective when using a far lighter grip pressure than what I am typically used to. Something I noticed immediately, was that in regards to distance control, my traditional putting stroke produced far more pace than what I was intending. This putter was literally forcing me to make a slow and steady stroke, and the results brought a smile to my face. Shortly after I learned that my normal putting stroke was not compatible with this putter, my distance control was right on the money time after time from just about every length I hit. Tomorrow will ultimately be a much better test of how well I am able to control distance, seeing as I will get to put it on some grass...and in some wind :angry:. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. I will always do my utmost to provide you with answers to the best of my ability, and as quickly as possible.

Really intrigued to hear how the CB blade performs. Usually see these putters with high MOI heads. Do you usually play a blade style putter?

Really intrigued to hear how the CB blade performs. Usually see these putters with high MOI heads. Do you usually play a blade style putter?

I do usually play a blade style putter, I have never been the most comfortable looking down at a mallet.

Keep the updates coming guys.

Have any of the testers been able to get out to a course? I'm curious as to how the CB helps/hinders lag putts

Have any of the testers been able to get out to a course? I'm curious as to how the CB helps/hinders lag putts

The big thing for me with a heavier putter and lag putts is just getting the feel for the putter weight. With the tank and other putters like it I have found that often times I mistake the counterbalance for mass and think the weight will do the work. For me, I roll the lag putts the same as I do any other putter. Trying to focus on getting a feel for the putter is key to getting the longer putts closer.

The big thing for me with a heavier putter and lag putts is just getting the feel for the putter weight. With the tank and other putters like it I have found that often times I mistake the counterbalance for mass and think the weight will do the work. For me, I roll the lag putts the same as I do any other putter. Trying to focus on getting a feel for the putter is key to getting the longer putts closer.

I love that you said this. I've only rolled a CB putter a couple times and it was the daddy long legs. First time I attempted a putt I felt like all I had to do was make contact and the ball would roll forever. So I was leaving it short. Thanks for the info War

I love that you said this. I've only rolled a CB putter a couple times and it was the daddy long legs. First time I attempted a putt I felt like all I had to do was make contact and the ball would roll forever. So I was leaving it short. Thanks for the info War

No problem sir. With cb putters it's all about finding that comfort zone.

I just got home from the course about 30 minutes ago. I seemed to have the opposite problem that you did. I found myself at times feeling, because of the extra weight, that I had to put a little more effort into my stroke and for probably the first two or three holes I was leaving long putts well past the hole. I find, that with my stroke, I need to have the feeling that I am swinging with a slower tempo than what I am used too in order to hit putts with the proper speed. On a side note just as some general feedback about the putter and not directed solely towards you PhillyV, I played in some rather significant wind today. I am one of those people that tends to feel the wind moving my putter around when I am trying to address the ball, and I was extremely pleased that with the overall weight of this putter, it was virtually effortless to maintain a steady set-up. Not sure many people find this to be an issue, but thought I would throw it out there.

Since I'm gaming a counter balanced putter now this thread is fun to follow. I find using a Sneds pop stroke is working really well for me with the extra weight the CB's carry?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't really gotten a chance to test this much yet, though I was surprised at how well I was able to control distance in the 15-20 foot range - I've mostly been getting used to the putter, as it's very different from my previous gamer.

I am taking it out to the practice green tomorrow - is there a specific type/distance of putt you're interested in? Uphill/Downhill?

Yeah I was able to get my Tank #7 out of the course and I tried it for the front 9 and tried mine for the back 9 so see what the feel difference is for me. The weight dfference was the biggest noticeable different for me. That would be something to get used to. I think once I could get used to it I think it would be incredible for lag putting cause the CB allows you to get a little more speed to get those putts close and eliminate some of the issues trying to generate more speed with a lighter putter. The speed of the greens could be interesting to see how to weight helps or hurts.

I was hearing that the faster the greens it might be tougher for a heavier type putter cause you might need a softer touch on quick greens.

Really going to be curious about your versa #7 Icey. That thing looks mean and awesome! Gonna enjoy following along and reading what everything thinks about the counterbalance aspect of the putters. There were some things I really liked about the Tank I had last year. I'm hoping to see the same things happen for you guys.

Good Luck!

I'll get my full round and writeup in tomorrow, but from what I've seen so far in the short practice, I'm indifferent on lags so far, I wouldn't say it helps a ton but it also doesn't seem to hinder, I think the biggest thing is it helps with feel/weight/tempo, which in combo with the alignment helps with keeping the line, I feel like my putts are going to have a much better chance of going in, vs non-cb.

Since I was home all day yesterday waiting for a plumber to show up, I decided to do on final "getting to know you" session with the Tank, this time focused on the feel of the insert. I decided to dig into the box balls I have sitting around the house and pick out a few balls that covered the spectrum of feel. The "contestants" were:

- Callaway Hex Black. I wanted to find a relatively hard urethane ball, and since I'm testing an Odyssey putter, the Callaway seemed like the perfect fit
- Nike PD Soft. This is my choice for cold weather golf, and represents the softer 2 piece surlyn category
- Top Flite XL 2000: I don't even know why I have this ball, but it was selected because it's among the most unpleasant to putt with from a feel standpoint

All putting was done on carpet. I couldn't get to the practice range, and I thought a test focused on sound/feel would probably be better in a quiet place anyway.

First, I rolled a few putts with my Method Concept to calibrate myself - all three balls had the feel I've come expect coming off the face. The PD Soft makes a dull sound coming off the putter, with a soft feel, while the Hex Black felt firmer and clicker, but not terribly loud off the face. The Top Flite made the loudest noise of the three - I always find that when I putt with a hard 2 piece distance ball, I feel like I leave putts short because it feels like the ball is coming off hot.

Next, I rolled a few with the Tank. This was one time I really wished I still had the old 2 ball. To me, this insert feels a bit firmer than the original White Hot 2-ball insert. While the harder balls didn't feel as "pingy" off the face (which I liked), it didn't feel like I was putting a marshmallow with the softer ball.

One thing I really want to stress that I've found from my first few sessions - I think this thing is going to be great for me on short and midrange putts. That's where I tend to get a bit handsy with my old putter, and I'm finding that, even just playing around with the putter, I'm much more consistent at that 10 foot range than I've been in a long time. I really, really like the heavier weight.

That brings me to another thing I've noticed in my time with the putter - if I spend a lot of time with the Tank, then move to practice chipping and pitching, it takes a while to get used to the weight of my wedges - with the added weight of the Tank, they feel really light for the first few swings. Of course, this won't be an issue on the course, since I'll be making (hopefully) at most 3 putts, then putting the club back. Just something I've noticed in my practice sessions.

Obviously feel is a very personal thing, but I hope this helps you get a better idea of the feel of putting with the Tank. Let me know if you've got any questions! For my next update, I'm planning on getting in a true practice session with the putter, working on lag putts since there have been a lot of questions on that topic.

Back