Electronics Pondering

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the problem, I HATE the Macbook keyboard. I want give when I hit the keyboard, and with how much we travel I have to like the keyboard because a lot of times I won't have an external keyboard. This is my biggest fear with that computer. If I get that one, I really hope I can get used to the keyboard.
I wonder if the newer Lenovos are different than mine (a year old-ish).

Might have to swing by best buy and check them out.

I got used to mine quick, and at first I was quite unsure about it.

I need to pickup a Canon T3i with the 18-55 mm lens.

Looks like Amazon for $499 plus tax. Saw some cheaper deals online but sellers didn't have the best ratings. I checked BH but nothing special there.

Any other ideas?

Visios IMO are great options at their price points. I just know I see HD shows from a friend who has a 240hz TV vs my 120hz and it's night and day. I have slight buyers remorse and trying to make sure others don't.

I completely understand budget, but if you can make a 240hz happen I would.

I must have horrible vision or something, I can never seem to tell the difference, even looking at two side by side. You take me from one house with a 240 to another hosue with a 120 and I would be shooting from the hips telling you which one was which.

I think I have narrowed down my choices to two computers, but I just can't decide. I am looking at this Lenovo and this HP Envy.

I have a HP for work and the keyboard is backlit nice and the keys are definitely more defined then a MAC keyboard. It is still a laptop type keyboard, but I have never had an issue with it. Then again, I think like beags said, I would just get used to it regardless. They both look like solid options.

Looks like Amazon for $499 plus tax. Saw some cheaper deals online but sellers didn't have the best ratings. I checked BH but nothing special there.

Any other ideas?

Check out the T2i or the Nikon D3100. Both slightly older but the features are comparable and the price is better. I have a the D3100 and love it. Save your money on the body and blow it on the lens. You will thank me later!

I must have horrible vision or something, I can never seem to tell the difference, even looking at two side by side. You take me from one house with a 240 to another hosue with a 120 and I would be shooting from the hips telling you which one was which.

I've noticed that the pictures appear crisper to me vs the 120hz. I relate it to how Blu ray movies look more lifelike & the images just "pop". Probably purely a personal thing, but I've noticed a diff.

Check out the T2i or the Nikon D3100. Both slightly older but the features are comparable and the price is better. I have a the D3100 and love it. Save your money on the body and blow it on the lens. You will thank me later!
My wife works for a commercial photographer and this is what they do. Get a decent, but not overly expensive or latest version body & upgrade with the lenses.

As much as I hate the keyboard and the inability to expand beyond the 8GB of RAM, I am going with the Lenovo. By the time I build the HP to the same specs it's over $1200 and it will take over a week to get. The Lenovo is available to pick up today at Best Buy, so that's what I am going to do. I have a bluetooth keyboard that I can use when at work, and I will just have to get used to the keyboard when on the road.

Now I am trying to find the best place to download Office 2010 for home and business. Everything I have read says 2013 is terrible. I found this site, but I don't know anything about them http://techsupplyking.com/MCOHBP_002.php.

As much as I hate the keyboard and the inability to expand beyond the 8GB of RAM, I am going with the Lenovo. By the time I build the HP to the same specs it's over $1200 and it will take over a week to get. The Lenovo is available to pick up today at Best Buy, so that's what I am going to do. I have a bluetooth keyboard that I can use when at work, and I will just have to get used to the keyboard when on the road.

Now I am trying to find the best place to download Office 2010 for home and business. Everything I have read says 2013 is terrible. I found this site, but I don't know anything about them http://techsupplyking.com/MCOHBP_002.php.

I think you will be happy with the Lenovo, I know mine has impressed me.

2013 is miserable to use. I am using 2007 currently, and dread the day I have to upgrade it.

Pulling the trigger on a piece of electronics is so frustrating at times, I am shuffling my feet like crazy about choosing a TV, because I just cant decide.

I have office 2010 at work and have no issues yet. Haven't worked with 2013 so can't compare the differences but everything for me has been extremely positive for 2010 as well.

I think you will be happy with the Lenovo, I know mine has impressed me.

2013 is miserable to use. I am using 2007 currently, and dread the day I have to upgrade it.

Pulling the trigger on a piece of electronics is so frustrating at times, I am shuffling my feet like crazy about choosing a TV, because I just cant decide.

I am so bad at making these kinds of decisions. It's a lot of money, and I sadly know in 3 years I will be here again. At least I hope, I have had some laptops barely get me through a year, so I hope this one lasts 3.

I am off to Best Buy now to get the computer.

I can take a look at the HP F&F discounted price for you if you like, but can't do anything about the time. Would need the spec if you'd like to know.

I don't know that Office 2013 is horrible. I have it on my personal PC, but the office is standardized on 2010. I'd say 2013 just doesn't offer anything worth upgrading to. I personally don't like the look of it and don't use the cloud at all, so I wouldn't upgrade. I wouldn't downgrade either if it was already included in a purchase.

Electronics Pondering

Any other ideas?

Unless you need to stick with Canon for some reason I would recommend Pentax - better camera in that price range (weather sealed, internal body shake reduction, great lens selection). Try a Kx, K30, or K50.

Seriously, Windows 8 is the worst!
Download classic shell, adjust your taskbar and navigation properties, and make sure your most recent upgrade on Windows is there.

Once I got my settings adjusted, I find window 8 to be more efficient than any other windows I have used. The search feature on 8 alone makes it pretty impressive.

Edit; Also, learn the keyboard shortcuts, makes navigation so much easier.

In my limited time with it, I am not a fan. Luckily not too many offices here use it.
It takes time to adjust, just as learning any new OS does.

Download classic shell, adjust your taskbar and navigation properties, and make sure your most recent upgrade on Windows is there.

Once I got my settings adjusted, I find window 8 to be more efficient than any other windows I have used. The search feature on 8 alone makes it pretty impressive.

Edit; Also, learn the keyboard shortcuts, makes navigation so much easier.

I just can't find anything. I want to open a new document, but I can't find microsoft word, or notpate or excel. Where the calculator? all the stuff I used from the windows start up button isn't there.

I just can't find anything. I want to open a new document, but I can't find microsoft word, or notpate or excel. Where the calculator? all the stuff I used from the windows start up button isn't there.
Definitely download Classic Shell, it will help you a ton.

Also, if you swipe from the right side of the screen and type what you are looking for in the search field, it will pop up. Or you can hit the windows button, have it set to "Apps" and that will bring up a list of all your computers applications that are there, similar to the old school start button menu.

But, just download Classic Shell. It will make it run similar to Win 7.

Definitely download Classic Shell, it will help you a ton.

Also, if you swipe from the right side of the screen and type what you are looking for in the search field, it will pop up. Or you can hit the windows button, have it set to "Apps" and that will bring up a list of all your computers applications that are there, similar to the old school start button menu.

But, just download Classic Shell. It will make it run similar to Win 7.

Thanks Ryan! I am going to try that. How do I know if I am up to date? I believe I have 8.1 on here. Also did you have to condition your battery when you first got your computer? It said I am supposed to get 8 hours, which I figured meant 6, but I am barely getting 2.

Thanks Ryan! I am going to try that. How do I know if I am up to date? I believe I have 8.1 on here. Also did you have to condition your battery when you first got your computer? It said I am supposed to get 8 hours, which I figured meant 6, but I am barely getting 2.
If you have 8.1 you are good, and yes, I conditioned my battery when I first got it. Let it drain til it turns off, then recharge. But remember, it's best to recharge the battery while the computer is not in use.

Another thing; If you are transferring files, doing updates, etc...your battery life wont last long at all. So, initial battery life is probably miserable when doing everything you were doing with the transferring of files and updates yesterday.

If you have 8.1 you are good, and yes, I conditioned my battery when I first got it. Let it drain til it turns off, then recharge. But remember, it's best to recharge the battery while the computer is not in use.

Another thing; If you are transferring files, doing updates, etc...your battery life wont last long at all. So, initial battery life is probably miserable when doing everything you were doing with the transferring of files and updates yesterday.

I will try and condition it, but it's hard to get it not in use since I am always on the computer.

I am also having issues with the screen resolution. Some stuff looks fine, and others look like something from an original windows program, like windows 5.

I will try and condition it, but it's hard to get it not in use since I am always on the computer.

I am also having issues with the screen resolution. Some stuff looks fine, and others look like something from an original windows program, like windows 5.
Need to optimize your resolution/display.

Right click on the desktop screen, click on screen resolution, then click "what display settings should I use."

Then go through the prompts and it will optimize it for you.

Electronics Pondering

Lol. Sorry not funny to be disoriented on a new PC when you need to be productive.

Click on the Apps arrow bottom left of the screen. That will bring up the list of all apps. Look for Control panel and right-click, select "pin to start" and it will be on the startup screen forever. That one thing helped me get oriented. Open control panel and go to windows update. Force a check for updates and ensure that you have all of the latest updates before doing anything else.

After that's done repeat the Apps button and right-click your most used apps to pin them to the main start page.

Also, you can reach the control panel from the Desktop by right-clicking on the Start icon. That helps too in the beginning.

It does take some getting used to. Win 8 was so hated initially that HP started letting people buy with Win 7 instead of 8 again.

You'll get used to it. Can't say I see any value in it for desktops/laptops, but you do get used to it. It will fight you for a long time though :). Sorry to hear if your early struggles. Stinks to spend so much money and not love the experience.

If your computer ever pukes you will love it. Mine had an issue where it wouldn't boot normal, so I got into some recovery mode where it did a factory re-install for me without deleting any accounts or there data. Way better than if I would have had to do it manually like in Win 7. Now whether or not I would have had that issue in Win 7 is debatable...
Seriously, Windows 8 is the worst!

Thanks for the pointers, these are all super helpful!

It feels like everything on the screen is just fuzzy, maybe it's just me. Maybe it's the adjustment from 17 inches to 15 inches. Maybe I am just getting older and need my eyes checked.

Thanks for the pointers, these are all super helpful!

It feels like everything on the screen is just fuzzy, maybe it's just me. Maybe it's the adjustment from 17 inches to 15 inches. Maybe I am just getting older and need my eyes checked.

That sounds like you are having issues adapting to the screen resolution if you have changed screen size - it should get a bit easier once you find the best resolution and you are using it all the time

I used to have a little adjustment period when going from the twin 19" setup here at work to the single 23" at home as they run completely different resolutions, but now it doesn't bother me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back