Are you a fast or slow?

Are you a fast or slow?

• Might as well put me on the clock now.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I play well when I play fast, but I'm crooked off the tee enough to say I fall somewhere in the middle. I usually walk 18 in 3:15 alone.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Fast is my nature wether it's walking, talking, golfing, skiing, driving, or biking. I'm guessing I was just born that way and it didn't hurt to play my first 1000 rounds at a course in a small Wisconsin town that was rarely crowded. Played 36-54 holes in one day hundreds of times before I turned 30.

It's not uncommon for me solo at my 6,940 yard home course to finish under 90 minutes riding, under 2:00 walking. Walked a couple rounds last summer on my very hilly home course as a foursome in 2:40. I can be home on a Saturday or Sunday summer morning having a cup of coffee poolside with my wife by 8:40 am. I don't mind a casual 4:15 hour beer round with my buddies either, but I will play as fast as the course/partners allow.

I feel like I play at a good pace. I can walk 18 by myself in just under 3 hours.

with an open course in front of me , never more than 4 hours, often times less than 3 1/2 hours

I would never categorize my speed in the realm of JB.

That said, mid summer, I don't take many practice swings, unless I'm in close. A fluid pace is what I'm comfortable with most.

I'm a one practice swing and go guy. I'm not quick, but I don't think I'm slow either. If I'm walking My rounds wont go over 4 hours. If I'm riding and no one holds me up I'd be around the 3 hour to 3.5 hour rounds. I've found if I don't take a practice swing and just get over the ball and fire I get really really quick with my tempo which leads to pretty awful shots.

I consider myself to be fast, I rarely take practice swings, usually only take one if we have been waiting a while to hit a shot. I get my yardage, pull a club and hit. Putting . . . I look at the green on approach and get the general lay of the land, have one or two looks at the putt, my first look generally gives me the best idea for line and go with it.

I'm rather fast, alone 2-2:30 walking, 3 hours with a friend.

Haha this thread is great. I think I'm a pretty quick player, but courses here are usually jammed up tight so there's no reason to rush.

I think the main cause of slow play is that nobody thinks they are slow. This poll is leaning in that direction. I thought I read somewhere that THP events are usually very slow rounds, any truth to that?
yes tho events are slow. None of those people have responded or think they are fast. I don't like to dick around. Give me my yardage and let swing the club.

If Im being honest, Id say that Im somewhere in the middle. Im not the fastest player around but I seldom have groups behind me waiting or need to be put, "on the clock".

One of the reasons I enjoy playing alone. I line up my shot and hit it, move to the ball hit it again. I can enjoy the day while moving to the ball............

It really depends. I'm in between one swing and go, and check the wind, it depends on how many balls I sacrifice to the tree Gods, and how long it takes me to find the balls in the rough. When I'm solo, I can get into a good groove, but my normal group can be kind of slow.

THP #theking #imwithchad

In Italy we have a massive problem with time, in tournaments the last groups get round in almost 6 hours, sadly. I am fairly quick at getting to my ball but take the time I need for the shot, that ranges from no practice swings and go to take a couple and check the distance.

I'm comfortable right at around 4 hours, not terribly fast but not slow at all. I like to find a yardage, pick a stick, and go.

If I play by myself, I really play too fast. When I play with someone, I, most of the time, shoot better scores because I am forced to slow down.

I consider myself slow-'ish' were I take my time is placing the iron ...but mainly putter square to my target line before I take address.
Then once at address there might be minor shuffling of my feet to get comfortable in my stance relative to the ball and target line. From there I will re-check the face angle to my target with the settled stance and correct it by a smidgeon, if its a lot out I have to go back to the start or I find myself not trusting the line up. This happens on un-level lies more.
I find squaring the putterblade 'perfect' and taking my time I sink more putts PERIOD!. From a square putter blade set and taking my time I am in the mindset to take the putter back 'very smooth' 'slow' and without any waivering inside...or outside the target line (with a tad or arc). Once this backswing is there the forward swing sinks the putt.

I cant imaging the Brandt Snedeker fast routine for a second that he can square the blade perfect in that time frame. Actually if you put a laser on his putter marked the alignment before he pulled the trigger, I bet it would be slightly off every putt...well thats a guess, but I reckon that for sure.

I do sit over a putt and iron shot (driver too) to get square, settled, consider outside noises NOTHING, breathe a few breaths quiet my mind...like you sit at a traffic light waiting to go, a aircraft at the runway etc etc checking all systems, alignment, stance, hands, respiration, tenseness, swing thought or firmness of the stroke (get it there) etc etc. I don't believe anyone can 'fully' remember all aspects of the shot that were mentally taken 1 minuite ago from behind the ball, now they are in their stance pulling the trigger quick. You only have one chance...why hurry the shot?

Perhaps those who hurry the shot are are not comfortable over the ball or have a short attention span of the pre-shot thoughts on the desired outcome. Or just are not comfortable over the ball settled or in fact actually the longer they take let new swing thoughts come into mind, that were never behind the ball before address.

Anyway everyone has their routine fast or slow. I have never seen a marksman pull the trigger fast, even with a scope and a stand. I consider my time/shot mine its not too long but not fast, everyone has to wait for it like there is money on this swing/putt. That's why I shoot lower and drain putts.

To help the speed of play I wish more golfers would get the yardage watch (great from away from the cart), and the USGA to realize that growing the game introduces more novices (who buy equipment and pay fees!) who play slower and perhaps the tee times on the books need to be 2 'MORE' minutes appart, so they don't over book the hour with too many slow players. I think a lot of slow play is bad shots, or bogey, double, triple rather than wasting time at address.
I will say there is nothing worse than a walker in prime time at the course who is a high Hcp.

My weekend foursome is super fast. If we're the first ones out we routinely play 18 holes in less than 3 hours. We don't run or get out of breath, but we play ready golf and don't dawdle over the ball. I think it helps our scores because we eliminate too much thinking.

I would say I am more of a deliberate player - rounds where I play usually tend to be 3.30 - 3.45 (always walking) and that is weekends at times where you see a lot of people on the course

The one thing I do hate is people in your group trying to rush you, especially when there is nowhere to go when the course is full and there are queues on the next tee - I used to play with someone like that who would be telling everyone to hurry up when there was no need and I didn't enjoy it

I will say there is nothing worse than a walker in prime time at the course who is a high Hcp.

Sorry, but that is the kind of attitude that puts people off, especially when you say that you consider yourself a 'slow-ish' player - who is to say the high handicapper is going to be a slow player? For all you know, the high handicapper could be quicker than you, so I would rather be stuck behind a high handicapper who keeps up with play rather than a low handicapper who takes ages over every shot

My weekend foursome is super fast. If we're the first ones out we routinely play 18 holes in less than 3 hours. We don't run or get out of breath, but we play ready golf and don't dawdle over the ball. I think it helps our scores because we eliminate too much thinking.

Same deal. Playing fast really doesn't have that much to do with taking your time with your shot. It's about cutting out all of the other time wasting and playing ready.

I will say that as much as I like getting in that 2.5 hour round, any thing that isn't over 4 hours doesn't feel like a drag to me. At 4 hours I probably didn't have to stand around waiting forever between every shot but I probably did get to do some extra socializing.

I am no slowpoke. I get behind the ball to get my aimpoint and set my grip, (maybe) take one practice swing, hit the ball.
I also read the putts pretty quickly. If I am not first to putt, I have already read my putt when it's my turn.
None of that plum bob crud either. (just what the heck are they looking at anyway?)

I can't tell you how many times, especially on the tee, that I had tee'd off and nobody even knew it! Fortunately for me, the guys in our golf group don't do the whole "honors" on the tee box thing. If you are ready - hit! Also - I have never understood are guys who are waiting for other players, to not be ready to go when it is their shot? What were you doing all that time you were waiting?

I like to play ready golf. If you're not ready, I am.

This is me for sure. I don't take a practice swing, and if I'm alone and don't catch anyone I'm a 2:30 guy. If I weren't terrible, I'm sure I'd play 18 in under 2 hours. That said, I think I need to slow down a bit, and take a practice swing...have been pondering that recently, and I think it's the right direction.

I'm pretty quick, at times too much so. I rarely even take a practice swing after I've warmed up and made solid contact for a few holes... After the shot is lined up, I'm over the ball and I let it fly... I rarely have time to think. I usually start hitting poor shots when I really slow it down and over analyze.

pretty quick. I practice swing, visualize line, step up and swing. My buddies and I walk. If we don't have to wait, we can play in 3 hours on most courses. One that we play the most is a 6 mile walk and we've still played it in well under 4 and that includes looking for a few balls and waiting on a couple of tees. I like quick and feel like I play better that way. Waiting for 10 minutes on a tee just seems to kill my momentum.

Back