Tried a few drivers

Thedoswells

Reaction score
Handicap
GST 12.0
Hi. Thought I would post a few quick thoughts on some first hits with a few drivers today.
i should say that I'm 55, 5 8, and slight with a driver swing speed of 90. I've needed help getting the ball in the air.
there have been some great reviews, comments and thoughts about various drivers on here, so I decided to try a few. Thanks to everyone.
i tried all clubs around 11.5 deg with the default stock regular shafts. For each adjustable club I hit a few shots at different settings to try to improve the flight and results.
started with ping g25.
lofted up a bit. Felt very sweet, nice launch and I was getting decent dispersion. Getting about 225 carry which is good for me.
Then mizuno jpx ez.
for me most results were very similar to the ping, except I was spraying it around a bit. poor dispersion.
then hit the callaway x2 hot. Got very consistent ball flight and very tight dispersion. Was quite surprised but I liked the feel off the club.
then hit the sldr.
it was probably the longest by a touch but I lofted up to max and it felt so heavy off the head. Boring flight but I couldn't keep it on line and it felt so hard and heavy off the face.
then the big Bertha.
loved the feel, nice flight and narrow dispersion but was just lacking any punch.

overall for me, the x2 hot gave me the most consistent nice high flying launch angle with a very gentle draw, set at 10.5 + 2 and draw.

Only thing is, I would like to hit this against the bio cell which they didn't have.

it just highlighted to me how important having a proper analysed session is, as these results certainly surprised me.

i was also using what they called high quality range balls, so it gave me a better idea of the sort of flight I would get with the different sticks..

would love to get something soon as the season starts...

Good info here. Thanks for sharing.

Always cool to have one of those, "eye opening" experience as it pertains to just what getting numerical feedback for fitting can do for one.

Sounds like it was a really good time trying fun shiny clubs. Gotta love that!

Hi there, I am also 5'8" and swing speed is 95 give or take. I've demo'd all the drivers you mentioned plus a few more. The G25 is really good I actually played over the winter with one in a 9.5 regular flex at 45" (stock is 45.75") and it performed great. Later I hit a friends 913d2 doubting there would be any chance I'd hit it good but to my surprise it was very nice and straight. I ended up buying a 913d2 and had been playing with it until last weekend when I made the switch to the new Big Bertha. Launch monitor numbers showed I was hitting the Bertha better than anything in the store so I bought it only to be greatly disappointed on the course. I have a new 913d2 on it's way to me right this very minute and I'm actually a Ping guy. On well struck shots the G25 was 5-10 yards longer than the 913d2 for me but the looks and feel of the 913d2 won me over.

Always cool to have one of those, "eye opening" experience as it pertains to just what getting numerical feedback for fitting can do for one.

Sounds like it was a really good time trying fun shiny clubs. Gotta love that!

Sure was. And actually was on a launch monitor but outside. And it was nearly 20C here in uk so was nice to see the ball travel.
just wish we got clubs in here as quick as the US. Wouldn't mind trying the Adams xtd but must try the bio cell...

Hi there, I am also 5'8" and swing speed is 95 give or take. I've demo'd all the drivers you mentioned plus a few more. The G25 is really good I actually played over the winter with one in a 9.5 regular flex at 45" (stock is 45.75") and it performed great. Later I hit a friends 913d2 doubting there would be any chance I'd hit it good but to my surprise it was very nice and straight. I ended up buying a 913d2 and had been playing with it until last weekend when I made the switch to the new Big Bertha. Launch monitor numbers showed I was hitting the Bertha better than anything in the store so I bought it only to be greatly disappointed on the course. I have a new 913d2 on it's way to me right this very minute and I'm actually a Ping guy. On well struck shots the G25 was 5-10 yards longer than the 913d2 for me but the looks and feel of the 913d2 won me over.
Thanks for the details.
the other place I will go likes to get people to try the 913, so I think I will probably hit that, the bio cell and the x2 hot again for comparison.

Now I just need to add about 25mph on to my swing speed...

Def try the Bio when you finally find one, I think it will surprise you.

Def try the Bio when you finally find one, I think it will surprise you.

Will do. Hopefully in a good way..:act-up:
I absolutely love the look of the club behind the ball, esp the red one...

Some good swing speeds. I am 33 and top out at 95. I'll have to keep at it to keep my speed up. I had an r580 as well good club! bio cell and 588 custom where best for me. good luck!

Sure was. And actually was on a launch monitor but outside. And it was nearly 20C here in uk so was nice to see the ball travel.
just wish we got clubs in here as quick as the US. Wouldn't mind trying the Adams xtd but must try the bio cell...

Thanks for the details.
the other place I will go likes to get people to try the 913, so I think I will probably hit that, the bio cell and the x2 hot again for comparison.

Now I just need to add about 25mph on to my swing speed...

I should have also mentioned that I hit the 913d2 in 3 different stores and each time it showed to be the shortest driver I hit. Simulator numbers showed me hitting the Big Bertha 15-20 yards longer than the Titleist but once on the course it's completely opposite. The Titleist is as long as any driver I've played for me except for the G25.

I should have also mentioned that I hit the 913d2 in 3 different stores and each time it showed to be the shortest driver I hit. Simulator numbers showed me hitting the Big Bertha 15-20 yards longer than the Titleist but once on the course it's completely opposite. The Titleist is as long as any driver I've played for me except for the G25.

Thats interesting and very helpful.
cheers

If they have a R1 it would be worth a try. For me the dispersion was the tightest by far, yet distance was great. Plus big sales on them now.

If they have a R1 it would be worth a try. For me the dispersion was the tightest by far, yet distance was great. Plus big sales on them now.

They do have them I believe so I'll take a look.
thanks

I'm anxious to hear your thoughts on the X2 vs the Bio, for me the Bio won hands down.

I'm anxious to hear your thoughts on the X2 vs the Bio, for me the Bio won hands down.

Interesting, but then looking at your handicap, I'm not sure I will get the same results.
trouble is the bio is a club I really want to love. Not good... Also there are some good deals on them here.
whatever happens I will post some thoughts when I give them a bash...
can you say a bit more what you mean by the bio winning hands down
thanks

Definitely check out the Cobra Bio Cell and the Ping I25, my SS is around 105 and those 2 clubs gave me the best numbers among the new drivers, but they were only only slightly better than my current gamer the original RBZ Tour so it wasn't worth spending the cash for. But if I was in the market for a new driver those 2 would definitely be at the top of my list.

Definitely check out the Cobra Bio Cell and the Ping I25, my SS is around 105 and those 2 clubs gave me the best numbers among the new drivers, but they were only only slightly better than my current gamer the original RBZ Tour so it wasn't worth spending the cash for. But if I was in the market for a new driver those 2 would definitely be at the top of my list.

Ok, appreciate that thanks. Can't wait...

Great thread Thedoswells, I am interested to see what you find in your next LM session.

Great thread Thedoswells, I am interested to see what you find in your next LM session.

Thanks and yes I will post.
one thing someone could help me with.
at the moment the x2 hot seemed like the best all round driver for me.
But that, and the bio cell, are loft adjustable.
I believe you can adjust the x2 by whole degrees, e.g I was trying a 10.5 which I assume I could set at 11.5 and 12.5 if lofting up, but not for example at 12. Is that correct?
And for the bio cell, how flexible are the loft settings.

any advice greatly appreciated,.

thanks as always

steve

Well, following my first session, I had my second go last night.
Previously looked at..
Ping G25
TM SLDR
Mizuno jpx ez
Callaway X2 Hot
Callaway BB
All using max loft settings (gen 12 or 12.5 deg) and stock reg shaft options - tweaked the settings to draw occasionally

Yesterday I hit
My driver - TM R580 10.5 deg reg
Nike Covert 2.0 - set to 12.5 deg reg
Callaway X2 hot - set to 12.5 deg reg
Cobra Bio Cell - set to 12 deg reg
All above set to neutral lie
I hit about 15 shots with each after warming up with 9 and 7 irons first

Summary of how they went for me - in order of pref or success:
Looks (just looks not the feel at address)
Bio Cell - Really really like
Covert - Really like
X2 Hot - ok
SLDR - ok

At address, line up and confidence factor
Bio cell - superb
Covert - very good
X2 Hot - very good
SLDR - ok

Feel
Bio cell - superb
X2 Hot - superb
Nike - very good
SLDR - ok

Launch angle & spin rate
All very similar and very good but SLDR a bit low for me - all fairly high spin (over 3000) but that may be inevitable for me

Carry
X2 Hot - consistently by about 5 - 6 yards from
Bio cell and Covert by about 5 yards from
SLDR

Dispersion (seen on the monitor graphics)
Covert - very narrow (for me!)
X2 hot - narrow
Bio cell and SLDR - fairly varied

Grip (feel and width - I have fairly small hands)
All stock grips - all really good except Covert - didnt like it at all and feel that in the wet it will be poor

Other
Shaft length - X2 hot is long but I didnt really notice too much
Headcovers don't really worry me so didnt look into that
Colour schemes - Covert looks great - Bio cell is amazing in Red and Black, others not applicable

Summary
I'm between the X2 hot and the Covert (with a different grip)
Do I go a little longer with a little more dispersion or vice versa?
O the agony of choice...

Steve

Ahhh... I like it.

I recently bought the Covert 2.0 and I honestly have the same feelings as you do on it.

I went with the straightest driver the most often. I prefer being center cut and short 5 yards than the rough and further 5 yards. Both are exceptional drivers and I am sure you will be happy either way.

I'm off to try a few drivers this morning with a view to either changing my driver or just the shaft in my current driver. I'm so excited, I can't sleep LOL

Great info here! I demoed a SLDR 12* in a black tie shaft and loved it - compared it to the Big Bertha (non-alpha) in 10.5* and although the Big Bertha had a better sound I felt I was more consistent with the SLDR.

Good luck with your search!

Looks like you are taking a great approach to selecting a driver. A Trackman launch monitor outside is my favorite way of picking a new driver.

Ahhh... I like it.

I recently bought the Covert 2.0 and I honestly have the same feelings as you do on it.

I went with the straightest driver the most often. I prefer being center cut and short 5 yards than the rough and further 5 yards. Both are exceptional drivers and I am sure you will be happy either way.

Yes its a tough choice - I think I may need one more visit...!

I'm off to try a few drivers this morning with a view to either changing my driver or just the shaft in my current driver. I'm so excited, I can't sleep LOL
Hope it goes / went well

Great info here! I demoed a SLDR 12* in a black tie shaft and loved it - compared it to the Big Bertha (non-alpha) in 10.5* and although the Big Bertha had a better sound I felt I was more consistent with the SLDR.

Good luck with your search!
Thanks - I think the SLDR must be very good but just not for me - have fun

Looks like you are taking a great approach to selecting a driver. A Trackman launch monitor outside is my favorite way of picking a new driver.
Thanks - one of the ranges near me has that facility - need to see if they have both those models available to try now

This is interesting since I am in the market for a driver as well. 5' 7" with a swing speed around 85 with a driver. I have been to golfsmith a few times now and the Ping g25 and x2 hot have been the best feel and distance for me. I need to get back and pay more attention to spin and dispersion. The SLdR and the r1 both feel like I am hitting a baseball at contact. I assume I am not hitting in the center of the club so I want to give them another go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back