play this given second shot for this reachable par5

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Par5 - 475white, 513blue.
With good drive (depending on tee box) is reachable with an approach through a sharp late dogleg if you want to. Lets pick it up at a fairly common landing zone often obtained with a decent drive. Your in fairway and (just for reference) you have to walk uphill to that water.

Fairway travels uphill to the late bending dogleg then slightly back down and up again to the elevated green which rises from front (fairway) up towards the back (parking lot). Green is up on its own pedestal when viewing from this side approach shot. The elongated bunker below the green is low. If your in it or in thick rough before it the green is basically over your head and everything surrounding the green to the right and around along the other side is also fairly steep hill with same scenario. Hence the term "like on a pedestal"

You would have to add probably a club and half for any of the shots due to elevation change vs the low spot your hitting from.

Yellow approach is 194 to the pedestal green
red is 160 uphill and over the elevated bunkers (blind) into the friendly valley
blue is 145 to the hill top and then 75 yards to green center

Seen this par5 second shot played every which way (both safe and risky) with and without success. Every tree, every bunker you see, and even the cart path and parking lot have all been obtained.

Whats your strategy?

hole82_zps48f61593.jpg

Tough hole. I play a line somewhere between the red and yellow line and hit a little cut with my hybrid. If I miss I should still be safe and able to get up and down.

Red path. Easy 8i or even 7i for me that takes water out of play. Its an incredibly second nature shot for me.

Tough hole. I play a line somewhere between the red and yellow line and hit a little cut with my hybrid. If I miss I should still be safe and able to get up and down.

that's cool you said that because many (better players here) do try exactly that and I have also successfully done it. But too good a shot some times has put me in that little top/front bunker. But still doable.

Well, at best, I am 30 yards behind where the mark is on the picture!

But if were to get that far, I would go the red route the first time I played the hole. Too much trouble all the way to the green to take they yellow route. Going the red route, I might be able to fade it back to the green. I might also end up in the direction of the blue route, which is why I wouldn't do that one on purpose!

Hybo or 5i to left side, thst way if I hook it too much I have a shot at up and down for bird.

However I'm so short off the tee nowadays I don't get to go for anything in 2

I don't like blue, so that's out.

Red might not be a bad play if the hole is playing into the wind or the lie is weird. Pin placement and green slope could be a bit of a factor but it's a decision I could be ok with.

Yellow all depends on wind and lie. 194 uphill adding a club probably has it play 205 or so to the center, but I see a bunker I could probably get up and down from for at least par fairly easily so long as it doesn't plug. That grass between the bunker and water that's all brown looks like that wouldn't be fun to hit a pitch shot through and over the bunker to an elevated green but it might not be that bad. Again, for me it's lie and wind dependent. I've probably got a fairway wood in hand though and there's some thinking going on.

I can't really see a reason not to go for it. If its elevated a bit, probably a smooth 5 iron aiming at the left half of the green.

Assuming an avg drive for me of 250, I'd plan to fade a 3h for the 2nd shot. If I hit it well it should be perfect distance to mid green. If I don't it would still fall short into the landing area in front of the green.

As with any hole though, anything can happen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
So with an elevated green the whole plays 215. I'm either hitting a smooth hybrid and hard 4 iron. If I come up short I'm in the trap. I see do down side to going after this hole in two.

4 or 5 iron to the centre of the green.

I would avoid the water and bunkers. Shooting for red area.

195 uphill so call it 210-ish I guess. I am aiming at the red landing area here.

It looks to me like even if I carried the bunker in front with a hybo it would take one bounce and be long over the back...unless the green is wet and soft.

If I feel confident at all, I would go for it. My miss tends to be left, so if I miss, I should still be ok.

Take the red line and play a fade and either land in the valley or front bunker.

or try to do this at least. We have a very similar hole.

Depending on the elevation change, I would hit either a 3 or 4 iron. I would try to hit it straight on line to the center of the green and have the left as a bailout area since my miss is left.

Going 5 wood to the center of the green from there.

I would play it safe with red. I don't want to drop

Last edited:
This hole has me scratching my head... if I was looking to play it safe I would go with the red hitting a 7 iron or soft 6 to lay up. Then approach the middle of the green with a wedge shot. But if I was looking to be greedy I would go with a hybrid or 3 iron to the midle of the green. I would say 4 iron to the middle of the green but given a high greenside bunker I rather be safe than sorry and play a smooth 3 iron shot.

4 iron straight at it. Plenty to carry the water, if I'm long I'll have the up and down for Birdie.

Lay up for me. I'd play to the top of the elevation then try and get a wedge close. Worst case walk off with a par and I'm still pleases.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

It depends on what kind of day I'm having. If this hole is early in the round or late in the round and I have a good round going, then I would lay up towards the red or a little left.
If this hole is towards the end of the round and my score is already shot, I'd probably just go for it.

So with an elevated green the whole plays 215. I'm either hitting a smooth hybrid and hard 4 iron. If I come up short I'm in the trap. I see do down side to going after this hole in two.

most better players of the game who are also fairly long and confident enough will go for the shot from here. The reason I placed this shot from that point is that (as we see from the responses) it is the spot that causes the most evaluating and decision making vs being much shorter or much longer. Its also a fairly common spot.

Its a spot that a shorter hitter who gets a hold of one may end up at and also a spot that a longer hitter does end up when he doesn't quite get a hold of one and truthfully is glad he is shorter than normal because his draw didn't work and would have been wet off the tee which happens often enough as the tee box faces the water. A nice long draw off the tee makes for the best attack angle and distance for the second shot approach and solid chance for bird or even the chance at eagle for one who plays it real well.

Last edited:
Back