Cutting down shaft length on driver

bcballa27

Reaction score
Handicap
Anyone ever done this before? I'm looking to gain a little more accuracy with the long stick. Is it a waste of time?

Not a waste at all. I cut mine down and gained accuracy AND distance. Distance gains were from more consistent sweet-spot contact.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

I did it with a G10 12* driver. I got nominal distance loss and increased accuracy.

It payed off for me. Can you try some shorter alternatives on a monitor? I took 3/4" off the standard off the rack 910 driver from Titleist. When I changed shafts to Project X I cut it down too. Distance and accuracy were affected.

J.

Mine was cut down to 44" definitely easier to keep straight.

Cut mine down an 1" and will do it for every driver I own in the future

Not a waste at all.....are you but trimming or tip trimming? Your going to get better dispersion and tons of people do this including myself! I am 6'4 almost and like to play 44.5 to 45" drivers vs 45.5 to 46 that most standard drivers are these days! I like more control and can give up a yard or so if it even affects the range of the ball!

Cut it! Todays driver lengths are too long for most people. Manufacturers have been sneakingly increasing driver length unbeknownst to the everyday consumer in order to achieve the claim of increased distance. Memory serves, Taylormade was the first to venture to 45.5" with the Burners with the claim of increased distance. Now nearly every manufacturer is 45.5". The TM R5 was what 6 years ago? Which was 44.75".

I haven't played a stock length driver in years. Might lose potential speed but you make up for it in accuracy and sweet spot contact. I think Bubba plays his at 44 or 44.5

Oh, and remember shortening your driver will effect the swingweight.

I currently and will always play a 44.5" driver. Hitting the sweetspot even 20 percent more often is a huge difference in my overall driving game.

I would do it. I took 1/2 an inch off and it is much better. Next driver I plan on taking 3/4 or an inch off

It works like a charm

I cut down my Burner from 46.5 to 45 and then to 44. Probably too much because I lost significant distance. I was hitting my son's G10 much further at the range. Go ahead and cut it down but you may have to do something about swing weight. I added lead tape but my experiment failed. Probably a good idea to work with a fitter if you do it.
Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Board Express

I would do it, I have tried some 910D2's with a shaft cut down to 3 wood length and was hitting it much straighter, but it was a little too short for me. (6'3")

Cut it! Todays driver lengths are too long for most people. Manufacturers have been sneakingly increasing driver length unbeknownst to the everyday consumer in order to achieve the claim of increased distance. Memory serves, Taylormade was the first to venture to 45.5" with the Burners with the claim of increased distance. Now nearly every manufacturer is 45.5". The TM R5 was what 6 years ago? Which was 44.75".

That explains why my best driving days were with the r5 lol

I'm getting my grip switched over to my normal GolfPride Tour Wrap in White and when I do that I really think I'm going to have him hack an inch off.

I am considering the new Nike covert depending on how it hits and am considering shortening mine as well. I am hoping that when I go to get fit for it and a shaft I can ask them and possibly try it. My swing speed is high enough where it shouldn't matter.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk HD

I just bought an R11s w stock tp shaft and debated on whether to cut it or not. Decided against it because the whole swing weight thing would screw with my head.

I always trim mine down to 44.75" because that's the length I've received from my custom fitting. you might want to check into that if you can, it can only help!

I had a K15 that was cut down to 44.75 and I could split fairways with it. I couldn't really tell if I lost any distance because I bought it that way. I suspect I didn't given how much I hammered the sweet spot. I don't think it was swing weighted though, so it always felt ultra light.

I've also had good luck at 45. The old Callaway IMIX drivers played to that length and I always made great contact.

My current driver is the only one I've ever tried longer than 45 that I had any consistency with. When I purchased it, I decided if it didn't work, I'd get it cut to 45. It turns out I've not needed to.

I think the average length on the PGA tour is 44.5. Yes, I'm not a pro and don't swing like one, but there's something to be learned from that.

I don't cut mine, but I do choke up so that there is at least 3cm of butt visible. So much more accurate it's silly.

I don't cut mine, but I do choke up so that there is at least 3cm of butt visible. So much more accurate it's silly.

Yeah, that's effectively the same thing (swing weight gap and all). I've started choking up a little bit too, and the results are great. I'm probably choking up about a centimeter or two.

I'm kicking around cutting my driver shaft length. I got some numbers with the 2 deep yesterday and one thing was obvious. My consistancy of solid contact was obvious. Smash factors were all right around 1.41.

Back