TaylorMade Ghost Spider Si Putter Review Thread

That has always been my issues with non-CB putters. At first glance today I didn't notice the putter being closed or open. I'll try to get some video tomorrow on the face hitting lag putts.

The superstroke grip helped on the takeaway, but at contact sometimes I get right hand dominant. Maybe with the CB putter this could change. I am now officially interested in this putter. Might make a stop somewhere after work and try to roll one

How long is your Birdieball? One thing I'm interested in with CB putters are lag putts. Do you find it easier or harder to get the speed right with a CB putter?

Phil, My birdieball I can only get probably a maximum of 12' putts.

However, Today I played on a very frozen golf course, but the greens were surprisingly putt-able.
I found that distance control was not an issue with the Ghost Spider Si, one notable hole I left myself a 25-30' putt with my approach, the hole was near a downhill ledge, Instead of trying to make the long putt, I picked out a spot 4' short to try to lag to.
I ended up 2 putting this green due to me leaving the ball 5' short of the hole. This putter really puts a predictable roll on the ball both direction and distance wise.

I told my group in the Hilton Head Invitational "I hope I don't fall in love with this thing, but will keep an open mind"
I said that statement because the fact I'd have to admit I was wrong about mallet putters.

Long story short, This putter is incredibly forgiving across the face, the pure roll insert is a little firm, but pleasant, and the counterbalance is nice, and this putter just puts a really nice roll on the ball!

I like it!

There.... I said it!

The superstroke grip helped on the takeaway, but at contact sometimes I get right hand dominant. Maybe with the CB putter this could change. I am now officially interested in this putter. Might make a stop somewhere after work and try to roll one

Give me a call sometime. I know it may be a drive, but I have a 14ft BirdieBall.

Phil, My birdieball I can only get probably a maximum of 12' putts.

However, Today I played on a very frozen golf course, but the greens were surprisingly putt-able.
I found that distance control was not an issue with the Ghost Spider Si, one notable hole I left myself a 25-30' putt with my approach, the hole was near a downhill ledge, Instead of trying to make the long putt, I picked out a spot 4' short to try to lag to.
I ended up 2 putting this green due to me leaving the ball 5' short of the hole. This putter really puts a predictable roll on the ball both direction and distance wise.

I told my group in the Hilton Head Invitational "I hope I don't fall in love with this thing, but will keep an open mind"
I said that statement because the fact I'd have to admit I was wrong about mallet putters.

Long story short, This putter is incredibly forgiving across the face, the pure roll insert is a little firm, but pleasant, and the counterbalance is nice, and this putter just puts a really nice roll on the ball!

I like it!

There.... I said it!

Two things....

1.) how on earth did you play golf today

2.) I was with you on not liking mallets. But I was noticing myself leaving the toe open with my blade putter. So switching to a mallet has helped me stay square. But speed has always been my biggest issue on the greens. So I'm loving what I'm hearing about speed control here

How is it with keeping square all the way through the stroke? That was and still is my biggest struggle. And maybe with the CB grip it will help keep me from getting too "handsy"

Phil, I think this putter may work for you then, I find the grip very pleasant. It is a good sized grip size wise. I was using a superstroke slim grip, and these are similiar sized grips.
This I feel will help keep those hand quiet!

You of course will have full access to this at the legacy scramble to see if it fits you.

Two things....

1.) how on earth did you play golf today? It was very cold!!

2.) I was with you on not liking mallets. But I was noticing myself leaving the toe open with my blade putter. So switching to a mallet has helped me stay square. But speed has always been my biggest issue on the greens. So I'm loving what I'm hearing about speed control here

Phil, This is EXACTLY why I signed up to be a tester on this, I hated Mallets, Didn't know one thing about Counterbalanced putters. I wanted to bring my point of view to the readership through something so new and foreign to me. I honestly felt there were people just like me who had a preconceived notion about mallets.

If i hated it, I'd have absolutely zero qualms stating this putter is not for me, but this thing is just real solid!

Phil, This is EXACTLY why I signed up to be a tester on this, I hated Mallets, Didn't know one thing about Counterbalanced putters. I wanted to bring my point of view to the readership through something so new and foreign to me. I honestly felt there were people just like me who had a preconceived notion about mallets.

If i hated it, I'd have absolutely zero qualms stating this putter is not for me, but this thing is just real solid!

So, let me ask you this... Since gaming and practicing with the Spider Si, has the shape been more of help or has the heavier weight seemed to help you?

As in; after the testing, would you be looking to try a heavier/CB blade style putter?

Personally, having played with you a few times CJ, I can see what benefits a heavier putter like this one can bring you, especially with you losing the face open at impact on your putting stroke. I think this will give you a more pendulum like putting stroke, and really help you drop a few more during your rounds.

So, let me ask you this... Since gaming and practicing with the Spider Si, has the shape been more of help or has the heavier weight seemed to help you?

As in; after the testing, would you be looking to try a heavier/CB blade style putter?

Personally, having played with you a few times CJ, I can see what benefits a heavier putter like this one can bring you, especially with you losing the face open at impact on your putting stroke. I think this will give you a more pendulum like putting stroke, and really help you drop a few more during your rounds.

Ryan,
I will say this, I do believe the shape, the increased MOI, AND the counterbalancing is helping.
I am enjoying the increased weight, and very much look forward to seeing how all these aspects contribute in my putting game.

I will have a notebook with me on the course this weekend to catch my thoughts to share here.

In terms of looking for another blade putter that is counterbalanced and heavier, I think that is something my next blade putter will include.

I really look forward to gaming this putter this weekend and sharing my thoughts.

I was able to get outside this past Saturday for about 20 minutes on a real putting green before I was chased off by some rain to test the Ghost Spider Si.

Conditions:

Putting green wasn't in the best shape but definitely beat being inside, grass was little longer and ground was a little soft.
Most of my putts were from 20ft+.

Experience

I rolled about 10-15 putts with the Ghost Si from different spots and the the CB stability is great. I was able to maintain a consistent stroke and after the first few putts my distance control was great, I was consistently within 5 ft of the cup.
On a couple putts I did try a slightly uphill lie, because I wanted to test the distance if I had to putt a firmer stroke behind it to see if the head stayed stable. It does, when I've used my Nead and some other blade putters the head has twisted causing the face to open when I put harder stroke on them, but the stability was definitely there for me on these putts.

I did have one mishit off the toe where the face did open a bit but the miss was minimized and I was further right of the cup but thanks to the stability I was still within 6-8' just a bit further right.

Also, the alignment aids really shined for me here. After the first few putts when I was comfortable with my distance control I wanted to have the right line and target for my putts, once I settled on my line and target the alignment aids really kept me lined up and confident with my putts. Ball is framed nicely by the white teeth and the white lines and have that peace of mind when you're standing over the ball.

The combination from above is really making me like this putter, in the past when I had distance putts, I didn't have the confidence that I feel with this to lag it close and the Ghost Spider Si gives you that secure and confident feeling (both with the weighting and stability but also with the alignment aids TM has designed).

I will have the Ghost Spider Si on the course with me for 54 holes this weekend at the Invitational so don't hesitate to ask any questions.

I'm curious, have any of the testers spent time with, or compared the Spider SI to the DLL?

I'm curious, have any of the testers spent time with, or compared the Spider SI to the DLL?

Me neither. Robman7 rolled a few putts with my Spider Si in HH. Not sure the amount if time he spent could comment on any comparisons you might have.

Was hoping to get this out on the practice green out at the range today, but the 25 mph winds and light rain got the best of me so more indoor green practice with this one. I can say while the offset and heal shaft took some getting used to, I've become a fan of this putter. It's just so consistent regardless of where you hit it on the face, and as long as you let the club move through the ball, it just goes right where it's aimed.

I've always used mallet putters and while the Spider is significantly larger than the mallets I play regularly, I've had no issues with the size or look of this putter. I've become a fan of the alignment system here; The lines behind the ball and the gap in the back really do ensure that the club is square to the ball and your line. The consistency in distance I'm seeing with this putter will be a stroke saver on the course,the weight of the head with a nice smooth stroke just puts such a good roll on the ball. I can't wait to get on the course and see how my putts per round average compared to my gamer, but after a lot of time on the practice green with this I'm looking forward to seeing some results on the scorecard!

I tried MMaynard's today & it felt really nice, I will def be considering one when they are available to the public.

Anyone tried the Smart Square and this?

I've hit Coers smart square a number of times; for me I enjoy the weight / counterbalance of the Spider. Alignment is super easy with both, the Spider has a lower pitched sound at impact for a nice soft feel. Right now if I had to pick between the two, I'd choose the Spider Si... but much of that preference is the appearance and alignment set up for me. Both solid choices though.

I rolled the SS for a good bit of last year and early this year, and am testing the Spider Si currently as well.

Much different setup at address between the two, even though the weight is similar.

This will be a quick update for my Spider Si testing. I spent a great deal of time working on putting early today with focus on my lag putting. I was very impressed with my accuracy of hitting my mark for putts of 40+ ft. The green I was working on had rings around one hole at various feet from 2 - 5 - 7 - 10 ft. I didn't have any issues with keeping the putter square through impact when having to hit the ball a little harder.

At this point in the testing I see it being a little difficult with pulling this out of the bag.

Not to mention I had several stares and compliments on the look of the putter. Oh what putter is that???

Sorry if this Long winded, but I wrote it up on the plane last night.

This putter is my gamer this year, it's not coming out of the bag. When I can putt and my head doesn't get in the way, the Ghost Spider Si flat out performs.

Courses and Conditions
I gamed it for all 54 holes at the Lake Charles Bridgestone Championship (2 practice rounds and the Invitational)

Played two different courses, Contraband Bayou, which had sanded greens a late Friday PM rain, improved the greens a little for Saturday. Sunday was played at National Golf Club of Louisiana and the greens were pretty firm and played quicker than Contraband Bayou.

All three rounds had a few holes that I felt were exceptionally windy which I'm not use to put is common for that area. The wind was especially strong on Saturday and affected a few of my putts.

Friday's Round: Contraband Bayou

Highlights:
This was my first round of the year. It started with a bang, I had 12'-14 ft putt that I sank on the first hole.
I made another 15' putter later in the round as well.
I had two three putts, both were due to poor approach shots, leaving me at least 50'+ putts.
Lag putting was phenomenal, most of my second putts were "gimme putts"

Takeaways:
Stability is there on every stroke, this putter performs exactly how you want it to.
Late in the round the putter didn't feel heavier than normal, I never felt he extra weight as a hindrance.
Alignment aids get you set on your line and allow you to putt with confidence.

Saturday's Round: Contraband Bayou

Highlights:
Michigan Slice dropping a bomb with his Ghost Spider SI (I'll let him tell you about it though)
Lag putting was still on fire today, most stayed within gimme range.
One toe hit that I pushed, the Ghost Spider SI minimized the miss, and it was right of the line leaving a 3' putt.

Takeaways:
I struggle in the wind. I was affected by the wind on a couple of holes, I left three of my putts short by 10ft due to putting into the wind (two were uphill putts)
I'm getting used to the grip, I had a complaint in an earlier post, but the grip was comfortable throughout all three rounds

Sunday's Round: National Golf Club of Louisiana

Highlights(not too many today)
Greens played faster than Contraband Bayou, much faster.
Drained a 9ft downhill putt
Had 4 putts burn the edge, or lip out

Takeaways:
Today wasn't my day. My speed was okay during the front, but on the back my mental focus was not there.
I wasn't reading lines well and was hitting the putts way too hard.
I've heard that putting can be tougher on faster greens with weighted putters and I need to test the Ghost Spider Si on faster greens again.
My putting wasn't good enough today to give proper feedback.

Using Tapatalk

OITW- Love how quickly you are getting it going with this one in the bag. True testament to this putter in the fact that you know already that it will be in the bag for the year. Impressive dude!

All of these reviews have me in serious ponder mode for a CB putter. I like my current gamer but ponder commence. Great job guys.

I have to agree with OITW regarding the stability. The putter just seems to be moving in the right direction and square. The hits on the ball seem to be firm and get the ball moving right away. My neighbor gave it a roll yesterday (carpet) and I had to make sure he didn't walk out of the house with it.

You guys are killing it with this putter. Move over DLL and welcome the SI.

Back