Odyssey Tank Putters Review Thread

Icey- I cant get over how good the versa paint scheme looks on the #7 style Tank. #7 has long been a favorite headshape of mine, and that Versa look to it really seems it will give me a bit more confidence with alignment with it.

For me, the 2 ball has always been an intriguing style putter for me. I never thought the 2ball alignment method was something that would help me on the course, but packed together with the versa color scheme and it's a pretty good setup when I am focusing on lining my putts up.

I like how Callaway took their existing line of putters, and found ways to improve their alignment methods for some golfers. Not that the previous putters had poor alignment setups, but I think adding the black/white contrast takes an existing product and makes it more attractive to more people.

I'm not going to lie, I'm a little bit jealous of the Versa 2 ball. I haven't had any issues with alignment with the standard though - the gunmetal finish is an improvement on the older more satin coloring. I also really like the red on the grip and head cover.

Icey- I cant get over how good the versa paint scheme looks on the #7 style Tank. #7 has long been a favorite headshape of mine, and that Versa look to it really seems it will give me a bit more confidence with alignment with it.

For me, the 2 ball has always been an intriguing style putter for me. I never thought the 2ball alignment method was something that would help me on the course, but packed together with the versa color scheme and it's a pretty good setup when I am focusing on lining my putts up.

I like how Callaway took their existing line of putters, and found ways to improve their alignment methods for some golfers. Not that the previous putters had poor alignment setups, but I think adding the black/white contrast takes an existing product and makes it more attractive to more people.

I'm not going to lie, I'm a little bit jealous of the Versa 2 ball. I haven't had any issues with alignment with the standard though - the gunmetal finish is an improvement on the older more satin coloring. I also really like the red on the grip and head cover.

I think the Versa takes the 2 Ball to a whole new level, it's amazing how just adding that color contrast helps so much!

Ryan, What do you think the counter weighting helps you with?

Got to take the Odyssey Tank #7 to the course today and was more impressed every hole I played. I had 31 putts on 18 holes. The speed and distance was easy to get very close on every hole.

Got to take the Odyssey Tank #7 to the course today and was more impressed every hole I played. I had 31 putts on 18 holes. The speed and distance was easy to get very close on every hole.

Can you expand on that a bit? Are you seeing a benefit of the counter balance with your putting stroke?

Can you expand on that a bit? Are you seeing a benefit of the counter balance with your putting stroke?
I got into quite a discussion with my group on Saturday morning about this exact thing, we talked in length about why more people hadn't been using belly/long putters.

I have used a belly putter previously and found it to be useful, but went away from it as I couldn't get a feel for things.

One area the CB stands out is in giving a stable stroke with the weight on both ends, it's quite easy to groove the stroke, but also having some aspect of feel in order to get a good pace to putts.

On Friday and Saturday I had quite a few birdie looks and felt like I had a chance to make every one of them, I don't necessarily die them into the cup with this, but I'd rather run it a few paces by then come up short and I think the added weight helps with getting it at least to the hole.

Actually I am. My stroke seems to be very smooth and I am able to get the pace much closer than in the past. Just have to read the amount of break much better. I love the feel of the counterbalance in the Tank #7

One area the CB stands out is in giving a stable stroke with the weight on both ends, it's quite easy to groove the stroke, but also having some aspect of feel in order to get a good pace to putts.

I haven't been able to put my finger on what exactly I've liked about the counterbalancing, but this might be it. I feel like if you gave me a putter at this weight, without the counterbalancing, I wouldn't have the touch I've found myself to have with the Tank. The heavier overall weight takes my wrists out of the putting stroke, while the feel/touch is improved by the counterbalanced weight.

I haven't been able to put my finger on what exactly I've liked about the counterbalancing, but this might be it. I feel like if you gave me a putter at this weight, without the counterbalancing, I wouldn't have the touch I've found myself to have with the Tank. The heavier overall weight takes my wrists out of the putting stroke, while the feel/touch is improved by the counterbalanced weight.

Yeah that is exactly what I seem to be feeling and noticing when I am putting with the Tank #7. I wasnt sure if I could get comfortable with it but a 31 putt round made me a believer in what it could do for me.

For me, the counterbalance in putters is two fold. While I prefer a heavier putter head, the addition of a heavier grip/butt end of the club really makes it a total package for me. I find that it helps me focus on keeping my stroke very smooth back then thru, with little "hesitation" during my stroke. By hesitation, I mean I dont find myself jerking the head back or twitching my hands during the stroke. It just allows me to be very smooth back and forward, letting the putter control my stroke, if that makes sense.

For me, the counterbalance in putters is two fold. While I prefer a heavier putter head, the addition of a heavier grip/butt end of the club really makes it a total package for me. I find that it helps me focus on keeping my stroke very smooth back then thru, with little "hesitation" during my stroke. By hesitation, I mean I dont find myself jerking the head back or twitching my hands during the stroke. It just allows me to be very smooth back and forward, letting the putter control my stroke, if that makes sense.

War- these aren't the Tank Cruisers right, just the regular Versa Tank?

War- these aren't the Tank Cruisers right, just the regular Versa Tank?

The testers here all have a different version of the tank, however none of them are the Tank Cruiser

Great reviews so far i love the look of the Versa 7
is the insert softer than DLL?

Forgive my ignorance....DLL?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I had asked about the insert in the Ghost Spider thread - I don't know if the DLL and that model have a similar insert, but the consensus seemed to be that the TM insert was a bit firmer than the Odyssey insert.

Speaking of inserts, I was putting around my living room waiting for a phone call tonight with my Method, and I really missed the White Hot insert. Such a nice feel coming off the putter.

Icey,
Thanks for posting the videos. They really illustrate how well the 7v frames the ball as well as the smooth stroke that a counterbalanced provides.
I don't suppose your 7v will fit into your SB2 headcover? I pulled the trigger on a 38" 7v and the wife will definitely notice the Odyssey headcover. :beat-up:

I got into quite a discussion with my group on Saturday morning about this exact thing, we talked in length about why more people hadn't been using belly/long putters.

I have used a belly putter previously and found it to be useful, but went away from it as I couldn't get a feel for things.

On Friday and Saturday I had quite a few birdie looks and felt like I had a chance to make every one of them, I don't necessarily die them into the cup with this, but I'd rather run it a few paces by then come up short and I think the added weight helps with getting it at least to the hole.

Actually I am. My stroke seems to be very smooth and I am able to get the pace much closer than in the past. Just have to read the amount of break much better. I love the feel of the counterbalance in the Tank #7

Gentlemen,
I think you have clearly described the benefits of a counterbalanced putter. Maybe it's just me, but I put a premium on a smooth, easily repeatable putting stroke. Hopefully, this testing will open some eyes/minds.

I pulled the trigger on a 38" 7v and the wife will definitely notice the Odyssey headcover. :beat-up:

Don, you're more than welcome to leave it with me on Sunday and keep it hidden at my house :angel:

Don, you're more than welcome to leave it with me on Sunday and keep it hidden at my house :angel:

I really appreciate your willingness to make this sacrifice for me.
Though if my wife found out about my putter stash I would need to hide at your house. :(

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Icey,
Thanks for posting the videos. They really illustrate how well the 7v frames the ball as well as the smooth stroke that a counterbalanced provides.
I don't suppose your 7v will fit into your SB2 headcover? I pulled the trigger on a 38" 7v and the wife will definitely notice the Odyssey headcover. :beat-up:

Gentlemen,
I think you have clearly described the benefits of a counterbalanced putter. Maybe it's just me, but I put a premium on a smooth, easily repeatable putting stroke. Hopefully, this testing will open some eyes/minds.

I honestly don't know if the SB would fit on the 7 it's a bit longer than what I was expecting and probably too long for it.

Great choice on it though. It's a smooth striker for sure!

Testers, please keep the reviews coming.
This is forum testing and it does last a period of 2 months generally.

Icey (or anyone for that matter). I want you to go out and hit 5-10 putts from 40+ feet and let me know what you think about distance control and lagging ability with the 7.

Icey (or anyone for that matter). I want you to go out and hit 5-10 putts from 40+ feet and let me know what you think about distance control and lagging ability with the 7.

This intrigues me as well. I've rolled one of the Tanks at close range, but never from true distance. Great thought/idea Nate.

Testers, please keep the reviews coming.
This is forum testing and it does last a period of 2 months generally.

Really looking forward to getting it out on course tomorrow - just got word that my course is opening. Been in a weird waiting pattern where my indoor membership ended but local courses are opening a few weeks late.

Stopped by to check if they were definitely opening and the greens looked to be in great shape for this time in the season, so should be great conditions for feedback. Looking forward to updating everyone tomorrow.

It's not the #7, but I'll give it a shot w/ the 2-ball. I couldn't get quite that far away on the indoor green, but the results I saw from 20-30 feet were really promising.

Back