Ideal launch angle for driver

Thedoswells

Reaction score
Handicap
GST 12.0
Hi, not sure if this has been covered but I was wondering what the ideal launch angle is when hitting a driver, if indeed there is one. When testing the x2 hot last weekend I was generally getting about 15 to 15.5 deg. Not sure if that's too high.
thanks as always
steve

Hi, not sure if this has been covered but I was wondering what the ideal launch angle is when hitting a driver, if indeed there is one. When testing the x2 hot last weekend I was generally getting about 15 to 15.5 deg. Not sure if that's too high.
thanks as always
steve

It really depends on your spin numbers. If you're spin numbers are 1700-2000 or so, that is a great launch angle, but if you are spinning in the mid to high 2000's or above, then that launch angle would not be ideal

You can't really evaluate just launch angle in a vacuum.

Spin + Launch Angle + Ball Speed paints the picture

Ideal is a tough thing to explain and almost impossible. 15 may be good or bad depending on other factors such as angle of attack, spin, etc.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Looks like I need to get more information. I think I was spinning around 2600 to 2800, so maybe that's too high?
thanks guys

It really depends on your spin numbers. If you're spin numbers are 1700-2000 or so, that is a great launch angle, but if you are spinning in the mid to high 2000's or above, then that launch angle would not be ideal

You can't really evaluate just launch angle in a vacuum.

Spin + Launch Angle + Ball Speed paints the picture

There is even more to it than that and I am not sure I agree based on the above. Geography will also play a role and is something very often discussed. Playing in an area that will offer no roll out at all will mean one will want to maximize carry distance.

15° at 2600 isn't too bad. IMO. I wouldn't fret too much. I would take those numbers and go to town owning some fairways.

The ideal number is that number that is maximizing the total distance off the driver for your swing. Identifying ideal is like nailing a snake to the wall. Play around and see what brings the best results for you.

Lots of good points. Thanks to all

The Spin might be a touch high but i would not sweat it.

Those numbers should result in quite the carry distance.

Those numbers should result in quite the carry distance.

I agree. And we all know how I feel about carry distance.

Ideal launch angle for driver

Ideal used to be 14.5 now who knows. I think everyone has their own number. What works for one man may not work for
another.

My ideal launch will be different from say JB or Jman. We all swing different with different angles of attack. But I think we all know our number and we are trying to see a semblance of that in our ball flight

There are a lot of factors that come into play when trying to maxamize your driving. Launch angle, back spin, angle of attack, swing speed, ball speed and side spin are all big factors.

For my swing speed and angle of attack any launch angle between 11 and 14.5 degrees is close to optimal and any backspin between 1700 and 2500 will work. Anything in these windows has the potential to produce some long drives for me.

Last edited:
It has already been said, but 15* launch at 2700 spin is a nice package if you're looking for maximum carry.

I was hitting mine on the launch monitor recently at around 15 and 4000 and my driver game is the best it's ever been right now...
250+ in the fairway works quite nicely for me.

Back