Adams Tight Lies Fairway - THP Preview

Rough distance numbers off the deck?

Rough distance numbers off the deck?

Wasn't focusing on numbers today, usually try to shy away form that because my swing is different than others, but its something that will be documented as time goes on with this one.

I didn't at all see it being as short as some have implied, but its obviously not going to be as long as, say, the XTD Ti in their lineup. Different beasts.

Wasn't focusing on numbers today, usually try to shy away form that because my swing is different than others, but its something that will be documented as time goes on with this one.

I didn't at all see it being as short as some have implied, but its obviously not going to be as long as, say, the XTD Ti in their lineup. Different beasts.

Gotcha. I'm looking for ballpark because I have a spot between my driver and 20* hybrid that is my max 210 club. Like you I've struggled with fairway woods off the tee/deck and your comments on easy to hit caught my interest. I'm looking for a 210-220 club & will definitely be waiting for more data.

Thanks!

Gotcha. I'm looking for ballpark because I have a spot between my driver and 20* hybrid that is my max 210 club. Like you I've struggled with fairway woods off the tee/deck and your comments on easy to hit caught my interest. I'm looking for a 210-220 club & will definitely be waiting for more data.

Thanks!

Yep, traditionally fairways off the deck are...an adventure...for me at times. This was a nice surprise to see.

I'll walk off some numbers via GPS for you next time out. No problemo.

Interesting debut for this one. Actually went to the range after the round just to hit it some more.

• The sound, nice little tink and the ball just jumps.
  • Looks great at address. The slot disappears IMO.
  • Stupid easy to hit off the deck. I mean this, I cannot get over how easy it was for me to hit it off the deck, not weak floaters or any of that, penetrating ball flight that got up and carried. I struggle with fairways off the deck, none of that here today.
  • Struggled a little off the tee even with the tee really low, so, I started just hitting it off the grass on the teebox like I would the fairway, night and day. Need to work on off of a tee some more.
  • Not the longest off the tee, but I didn't expect it to be. I did see what IMO is good distance that for what you get in off the deck versatility will be more than enough for many.

Really looking forward to more time with this one as well as getting the thoughts from some others at my course.

Great thoughts James!!! Very intriguing to hear about the variation between on the deck and off a tee, despite being teed low. As I am more often than not hitting the ball off the tee with my fairway, that's definitely something I'd keep an eye on.

How does the club handle grit off the shot? Does it get trapped when you're getting ground forcing you to do some work cleaning out of the slot?

Great thoughts James!!! Very intriguing to hear about the variation between on the deck and off a tee, despite being teed low. As I am more often than not hitting the ball off the tee with my fairway, that's definitely something I'd keep an eye on.

How does the club handle grit off the shot? Does it get trapped when you're getting ground forcing you to do some work cleaning out of the slot?

So far so good, I took a...quite large...divot off the tee on one hole and it didn't really trap anything...which was a big releif as that sort of thing really bothers my OCD. haha

So far so good, I took a...quite large...divot off the tee on one hole and it didn't really trap anything...which was a big releif as that sort of thing really bothers my OCD. haha

Same here. I always go for the wipe after hitting my clubs.

It was one thing that really bothered me about Adams XTD line from last year, where dirt would get trapped in the softer sections of the slot.

Interesting debut for this one. Actually went to the range after the round just to hit it some more.

• Stupid easy to hit off the deck. I mean this, I cannot get over how easy it was for me to hit it off the deck, not weak floaters or any of that, penetrating ball flight that got up and carried. I struggle with fairways off the deck, none of that here today.
  • Not the longest off the tee, but I didn't expect it to be. I did see what IMO is good distance that for what you get in off the deck versatility will be more than enough for many.

My two favorite parts, and the things I look for in a fairway wood. They're all easier to hit when on a tee. Off the deck though for us that like to have and/or need that option, that is a huge selling point.

[/LIST]

My two favorite parts, and the things I look for in a fairway wood. They're all easier to hit when on a tee. Off the deck though for us that like to have and/or need that option, that is a huge selling point.

I was thinking about it today, if it holds up, I would go for more greens with a club that I can hit off the deck like this in the bag.

I was thinking about it today, if it holds up, I would go for more greens with a club that I can hit off the deck like this in the bag.

I love having that option. It especially comes in handy in windy conditions where sometimes you just wind up having to hit a fairway wood into a par 4. Nevermind ability, I want a club that I can look down at and give me the best amount of confidence to pull off the shot. That sometimes takes my mind off of the ability factor and just lets me know it's going to be able to perform and I can make a free flowing swing.

So this talk really has me interested. I read your thoughts, but a couple questions for you to humor me with. Was there a meaningful difference in height for you? Something that a person that needs height could benefit from in a substantial way? Still think I'd gravitate towards the 5W, but it is a club I think I'll have to hit off the turf at least a time or two and a higher flight would be a really good thing for me.

• The sound, nice little tink and the ball just jumps.
  • Looks great at address. The slot disappears IMO.
  • Struggled a little off the tee even with the tee really low, so, I started just hitting it off the grass on the teebox like I would the fairway, night and day. Need to work on off of a tee some more.

Really looking forward to more time with this one as well as getting the thoughts from some others at my course.

This is one thing Rob from Adams talked about with out playing group in Dallas. I was hopeing he had this in his bag to hit. He went into how the design makes it easy to hit off of the ground, but makes it prone to hit really high or pop it up off of a tee. I put some really bad swings on this club out of some divots on the range and had great success. When the season really gets going here I'm going to pick one up.

This is one thing Rob from Adams talked about with out playing group in Dallas. I was hopeing he had this in his bag to hit. He went into how the design makes it easy to hit off of the ground, but makes it prone to hit really high or pop it up off of a tee. I put some really bad swings on this club out of some divots on the range and had great success. When the season really gets going here I'm going to pick one up.

Yeah, I had a pop-up on one that I think caused rain. Haha

But off the deck on the tee box and all is fixed it seems. The more I hit it and think about it the more I realize this is definitely going to be one of those personal preference clubs in what the user wants out of that spot in the bag. If its an easily elevatable and consistent off the deck 3/4w then it works practically unlike any other. If its to tee it up and replace your driver on some holes, probably not the top choice. But, it is pretty much a focused club, so that makes a lot of sense to me.

So considering that I just added the VC SC100 to my bag, this is going to have to wait. I am interested in the 14° non-tour model In R flex based on my experiences swinging the 16° version last week. Maybe by summer it'll be in my capability to consider but will definitely be following this.

Hit some more with this on the crappy local range on my way home from work.

Wanted to try it off the tee some more. Definitely seeing an increased chance of digging to a "healthy" divot there and some sky high shots in there b/c of it. Switched back to the deck and just perfect interaction and a nice easy ball flight. Don't notice the lightweight shaft at all, IMO its showing to be a solid pairing likely intent of helping gain some distance with them. I've not hit a fairway off the deck like this before.

Back at it tomorrow, will be taking 3 other fairways to compare to this one for distance off the tee, off the deck, and dispersion to get a better grasp on it all.

So you're popping it up even teeing it up practically all the way on the ground?

So this talk really has me interested. I read your thoughts, but a couple questions for you to humor me with. Was there a meaningful difference in height for you? Something that a person that needs height could benefit from in a substantial way? Still think I'd gravitate towards the 5W, but it is a club I think I'll have to hit off the turf at least a time or two and a higher flight would be a really good thing for me.

Sorry Hawkster, just saw this buddy.

I don't know that I would say there was as much a meaningful difference in height as I would say that it was a much easier and natural height if that makes sense. There is no thought of anything because time and again hitting it off the deck a smooth swing will be rewarded with a nice high ball flight, I have had fairways before where I felt at times as I really had to work to get the ball up, not here. Knowing you, I think you'd enjoy the 16*, its just something else how the sole works when you let it.

So you're popping it up even teeing it up practically all the way on the ground?

Its teed low, but still above the ground. What you have to remember IMO is that this one is built with the shots off the deck in mind, the beveled tri-level sole with the flat central portion lends itself to essentially gliding to reduce turf interaction on shots off the deck. When you hit it off a tee, if you get too steep it will dig, that's what I'm seeing. Something like this that is the polar opposite of what we are seeing in fairways now will just take user adjustment an acclimatization. I will say, I'm not seeing anything that I would call short, even taking it off the grass from the tee, so to me I would just take it off the deck instead of a tee. For review though, I'll keep on tinkering to get a feel for it off of a peg.

JMan: Great stuff. I really appreciate it.

Some quick questions because I'm kind of thinking along the same lines of Hawk:
- I'd love to hear how your distance compares for you with other similarly spec'd FWs. Obviously all our swings are different so what might produce 230 for you might produce 195 for me. The total doesn't matter so much. If say a Mashie F3 (15.5 degrees) or a Ping K15 (16 degrees) is roughly the same or significantly different, then that says something.
- Are you seeing any roll out?
- What do you think about this in the 5W/3H slot? The head is already fairly small relative to a lot of fairways. I think it might be killer to gap between a longer/more tee friendly FW and a medium hybrid/longer iron.
- Can you comment on finish durability? I've seen pop ups mentioned. Do they look nasty or does the black paint over PVD hide them? How about the PVD on the face and the sole? A lot of times these finishes don't wear well.

I can honestly say that this is the only FW on the market that would interest me for this season.

JMan: Great stuff. I really appreciate it.

Some quick questions because I'm kind of thinking along the same lines of Hawk:
- I'd love to hear how your distance compares for you with other similarly spec'd FWs. Obviously all our swings are different so what might produce 230 for you might produce 195 for me. The total doesn't matter so much. If say a Mashie F3 (15.5 degrees) or a Ping K15 (16 degrees) is roughly the same or significantly different, then that says something.
- Are you seeing any roll out?
- What do you think about this in the 5W/3H slot? The head is already fairly small relative to a lot of fairways. I think it might be killer to gap between a longer/more tee friendly FW and a medium hybrid/longer iron.
- Can you comment on finish durability? I've seen pop ups mentioned. Do they look nasty or does the black paint over PVD hide them? How about the PVD on the face and the sole? A lot of times these finishes don't wear well.

I can honestly say that this is the only FW on the market that would interest me for this season.

Hey Rye,

I'll be sure to get some hard distance comparison numbers tomorrow, its definitely on my agenda for everyone. Still seeing roll, decent amount. I think it could be lethal in a 5w spot if someone were to use that club for off the deck but still want a 3w predominantly for the tee, has def crossed my mind. Don't misconstrue pop ups for sky marks, no sky marks made, just popping some balls up into the air. That said finish is fine, even taking a divot. Now, it IS a black finish and it WILL show more wear than a non black finish, that's just a fact with ANY dark finish, but the durability is good.

Hope that helps some!

Hey Rye,

I'll be sure to get some hard distance comparison numbers tomorrow, its definitely on my agenda for everyone. Still seeing roll, decent amount. I think it could be lethal in a 5w spot if someone were to use that club for off the deck but still want a 3w predominantly for the tee, has def crossed my mind. Don't misconstrue pop ups for sky marks, no sky marks made, just popping some balls up into the air. That said finish is fine, even taking a divot. Now, it IS a black finish and it WILL show more wear than a non black finish, that's just a fact with ANY dark finish, but the durability is good.

Hope that helps some!

Great stuff in a timely fashion, as I have come to expect from you. You do a really nice job with the reviews.

I'm interested to hear the numbers. When I hit it on the sim, it seemed a little short compared to some other things I hit that day (Baffler XL, JetSpeed come to mind). I'm a hack though so it could have just been my swing.

Maybe some "after" pictures as well if that's not asking too much. I'm super anal and my one reservation about any PVD club is finish durability. It probably sounds sick, but I select clubs in some part with finish longevity in mind. My current FW is a bit of an exception to that because I just hit it too well to ignore.

I'm really thinking a 19 degree 5W would be perfect for off the deck.

Going to finish up some thoughts for the review on the range with this one today, but I did hit it a lot yesterday.

For me its easiest on the teebox to just hit it off the deck, still plenty of height and roll. Off the deck, I have NEVER been able to hit a fairway like this, that's not hype, thats not BS, thats not whatever some will want to believe it is, its the truth. Just swing the club and the launch is there, also a surprising amount of forgiveness, but the sole and interaction off the deck is what makes it, it just works.

People have been asking about distance, I'm about 10 yards shorter than some of my other fairways, but the dispersion off the deck is WAY worse than this one. Its all about what you want.

5w could be fun.

My Swing Caddie just arrived! I am going to look around for the 14 degree non-tour in R-flex and hit it with that and see what it says.

Damn you anyway.

I currently play a 4W, but I'm intrigued about going the 5W for the fairway, and going to a deeper faced 3W for the tee. As you said, that seems like it would be a pretty nice combo.

Back