Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
[h=1]The following is a press release:
HOPKINS
® GOLF OFFERS DISTANCE MODEL GOLF BALLS
[/h]NEWPORT BEACH, CA - March 31, 2014 – Hopkins Golf is proud to offer a new line of golf balls called VL Speed addition to its current VL Proballs. VL Speed balls are less expensive and are positioned for a different market of players.

"Our direct to consumer business model has proven great for golf balls," said Greg Hopkins, Chairman and CEO. "The mid-priced ball is selling well so this distance ball should really rock."

The new VL Speed is a two-piece ball with a resilient core and a ionomer-blend cover for a softer feel than many distance balls. VL Speed™ balls sell for $19 for two dozen and shipping is free. Comparatively, the VL Prois a three-piece ball with a Surlyn cover designed to be long off the tee and medium-soft around the greens. It sells for $19 per dozen. Both models are packaged in zip-lock bags rather traditional sleeves and boxes so money is not wasted on packaging and savings can go directly to consumers.

The marketing campaign for the balls is interesting as well. "We've Got Balls" is prominently displayed in email, print and TV ads. Click We've Got Balls to view the TV commercial and click HopkinsGolf.com to view the new golf balls. Bulk discounts are also available in both models. The VL Speed
[FONT=&quot]™ balls are $19 for two dozen, $35 for four dozen, $69 for eight dozen and $99 for twelve dozen.
[/FONT]

Saw the advertisement on Facebook. For $20 for two dozen plus free shipping, it's tough to go wrong. The price compares to the Nike Mojo and that's a fun ball to use in scrambles and spring/fall rounds

If they perform you can't beat that price for 4 dozen. They may not suit the needs of all types of players but will find a niche with some.

With Hopkins coming from Cleveland, I wonder if anyone from Cleveland/Srixon had a hand in designing the ball

Very nice price hopefully they preform well

Honest question, do they make any money at those prices or is that not what this is about?

Hopkins Golf Releases VL Speed Golf Balls

Honest question, do they make any money at those prices or is that not what this is about?

With how they will be packing these, I think they'll make enough profit. Not much money being spent on R&D in that department. And if top Flite can survive selling 15 ball packs of XL90000000, why not?

They're in business to make money. Should show you how much mark up is in balls.

Even if these are just 2 piece distance balls, 2 dozen for $19 shipped is a pretty good price.

I have the VL Pros and they're firmer than my E5s, I think they would play firmer than the the E6, I think they would be similar too in that you're long and straight off the tee but lack of spin on iron shots and wedges could cause some problem on the approach and around the green.

Based off of that comparison, I would say the Speed compares with the E7s.

But great price for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow, $35 for four dozen shipped is pretty awesome considering that IS NOT a sale.
Where was this 10 years ago...

$20 for two dozen is an amazing deal!

That is crazy cheap

Blu is right. The cost to make a ball is not much at all.

I think it would blow minds if we found out what the cost per ball really was. Especially for those tour level urethane covered balls.

certainly a good price ball that's for sure. That makes them attractive.

I noticed this on their site the other day, and that they dropped the numbers off that other ball. I didn't really hate that previous ball, and the new one is intriguing, especially at that price!!

I'll order some. If I don't like them I'll give them to my neighbor who plays Pinnacles.

I hope they are soft a advertised. The Pro was to hard for my taste.

Let us know people. Sort of have my reservations, but if it's soft I'll bite.

Let us know people. Sort of have my reservations, but if it's soft I'll bite.

I'm in the same boat - I'll take a hard urethane ball, or a soft 2-piece surlyn, but the cheap distance balls are not my favorite.

Ok so, the balls just showed up. They are in plain ziplock baggies. I have a 1:00 tee time today at Panther's Run and will report back with my thoughts.

Back from a day of hacking it up. The Hopkins so far are just OK, don't sound right off the driver and feel a bit hard. I got ok spin out of them on the short game. I'm heading to Aberdeen tomorrow and will give them another try.

Worked the Hopkins today and I'm starting to like them. Long straight drives with a good penetrating flight. I got some good spin on them around the green and off the putter they felt very good. I'll keep hitting them and am thinking about buying in bulk before they decide to raise the price.

Back