Wedge grind, what is your kind?

Castor Hades

Reaction score
Handicap
6.7 EGA
I just realized that I have very little knowledge or experience about different grinds.

At the moment I use Cobra Trusty Rusty, which have a Tri-Bounce sole, and I do know what it means, but at the same time I don't know if I know how to utilize it.

I also sometimes use my Cleveland 588 wedges, and I have no clue about their grind.

I know I can read all about grinds on OEM websites, but do amateurs really benefit from different grinds, or is it just a gimmick? I know pros can benefit from the tiniest things, but they usually know what they are doing. My wedge use is mostly based on emotion and luck.

What kind of grinds do you prefer and why?

right now I have ATV wedges so it's a specialty grind from TM. I have some wedges that have a C grind to them that I liked quite a bit. I also have those Trusty Rusty's you speak of. Not sure I really utilized them well. Really I have no preference because I have not fooled around with all the options out there.

Probably the most versatile I've found is the heel grind. Adding some relief on the toe in conjunction with that is even better. That's one that I use at different lofts and for all kinds of shots. Makes it very easy to open the face.

Cresent/channel is another great one. Reduces bounce on square face shots, but increases it when you open the face. Best of both worlds in that you can use it effectively chipping/pitching from tighter lies, but still have a good bouncy option for the sand or deeper rough. U grind is sort of in this category as well.

Great topic Castor...this is definitely an area that I lack knowledge. I will be frequenting this thread often.

I think I'm a fan of the C grind. It usually gives me the heel relief I like so I can open it up as much as I want without worrying about the leading edge too much. It's pretty nice out of the sand as well

I also have very limited knowledge on grinds. I tried reading the info on Hopkins site but still not 100% sure what would be best for me

I recently picked up the SM5's and this is an area I paid attention as much as bounce for my area I normally play. I went with a 54/10 S grind for my "all around" club and a 58/8 M grind for closer chips and out of the sand. The M grind has heel relief and is like a butter knife through the sand for me.

I think Hopkins right now has the most intuitive grind explanation/ selection on their site. It really explains it well and can easily translate to other OEM's

Hmm just went and checked it out, was customizing a black 60* and it wouldn't allow me to modify the grind, skipped over the tab entirely. Looks like you can't change the grind on the black model. I then ran through with customizing a raw wedge, and was able to modify the grind options.

That is the case with Cleveland. With Hopkins I believe you can have any of the finishes.

I like some heel relief in order to open the blade a bit.

I hope this thread is useful for many.

My 60° wedge has low bounce, and my 56° has big bounce. In my head that means that my 60° is good for tight lies when I open the face, as in the leading edge can stay low and get under the ball. The big bounce in my 56° prevents the club from digging in when I hit from the sand. Correct?

So...depending on the grind this can alter?

If I get a heel grind and open the face it works better from a tight lie than from sand?

I don't think it's a gimmick but knowing what is right and going to help you the most leaves a consumer a little lost. I think in the near future wedge fitting is going to be like a putter fitting, it should be done and golfers will see a great deal of improvement but not many will get it done.

I like the U Grind on my MD2's it looks very similar to the ATV grind and some of the other grinds you see

I hope this thread is useful for many.

My 60° wedge has low bounce, and my 56° has big bounce. In my head that means that my 60° is good for tight lies when I open the face, as in the leading edge can stay low and get under the ball. The big bounce in my 56° prevents the club from digging in when I hit from the sand. Correct?

So...depending on the grind this can alter?

If I get a heel grind and open the face it works better from a tight lie than from sand?

One quote that Greg Hopkins gave me in our interview was, "Grind dictates bounce."

So, yes your last statement is correct. A heel grind will bring that leading edge a little lower on an open face, but it's not necessarily the best for a big bouncy sand club. That's why I went to a crescent type grind in my LW. I can open it up for some bounce without losing that lower leading edge on square face shots.

I don't think it's a gimmick but knowing what is right and going to help you the most leaves a consumer a little lost. I think in the near future wedge fitting is going to be like a putter fitting, it should be done and golfers will see a great deal of improvement but not many will get it done.

I agree with this and I'd also say it depends on your short game. Some people have zero use for different wedge grinds and should just keep it super simple.

I agree with this and I'd also say it depends on your short game. Some people have zero use for different wedge grinds and should just keep it super simple.

Think if players would just learn the basics of bounce and conditions typically played it would make the short and better. So many times, I'm just as guilty, players buy a wedge for reasons other than how they will play with it. A little research and even calling the OEM can make a world of difference.

Think if players would just learn the basics of bounce and conditions typically played it would make the short and better. So many times, I'm just as guilty, players buy a wedge for reasons other than how they will play with it. A little research and even calling the OEM can make a world of difference.

Not trying to plug the site, but I learned more from the Hopkins site on the subject than anywhere else. It's a great resource, even if you're not buying the product. Like you said, how you plan to use the wedge is a big part of it. If I could go back, I'd just have a standard sole on the Hopkins GW I bought. In fact, I sort of hate that wedge altogether (shelf grind) and stick with set gap wedges now.

Not trying to plug the site, but I learned more from the Hopkins site on the subject than anywhere else. It's a great resource, even if you're not buying the product. Like you said, how you plan to use the wedge is a big part of it. If I could go back, I'd just have a standard sole on the Hopkins GW I bought. In fact, I sort of hate that wedge altogether (shelf grind) and stick with set gap wedges now.

I agree 100% Hopkins website had the best information out there. Easy to understand and broke it down nicely based in your region. It made me realize I only needed a heel or heel/toe grind and thats it. All other should be standard with low bounce.

Being a sweeper and playing in normally dry conditions I have found that bounce is not always my friend. I have a shelf grind on my 50 to help with square face shots , heel & toe on my 55 for chips and I can still open the face to get over trouble, and heel on my 60 though I might pull it so I can add another hybrid.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

I'm not sure which grind it is but it has that dual bounce thing going on, all of my wedges are high bounce though.

I use a 12* bounce with a little heel grind. Pondering the ATV though

I have been grinding on my Wilson 58* (filing by hand) some in the heel and along leading edge . So far seems more forgiving . Also have Solus 720 wedges 50* and 54* I like em a lot.
Less bounce when square more bounce when open.

My SCORs are V-sole grinds because that's how they come. My Hopkins are both shelf (wide) grinds based on recommendations.

I have my 50* shelf, 56* channel, and 60* wide. I also have another 60*, with a heel. The channel is really helpful in the 2nd cut (seems as though I'm over there more often than not) and in the sand. It's really easy to use.

I like the M grind on my SW. My LW will probably be a S grind tho

Back