The Official Rant of the Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having a kid with ADHD, it is unfair to ask either the kid to "deal" with it or to ask the teachers to "deal" with kids like mine. I understand you are talking about abuse of medications, but these drugs help a lot of kids actually be able to learn.

Yeah, maybe that is not the way we grew up, but I'm not giving up the internet just because my parents had to "deal" with encyclopedias.

No and I completely understand that. I remember watching news stories back in the 90's, when Ridilin was what was being prescribed and them talking about it being abused. It was nothing then, like it is now. Hell, log on to Twitter and they have accounts called Addy Problems, and it's about taking Adderall and the stuff you are able to "accomplish" while on it, like that's normal. It's a pretty popular account with HS kids and college students, because it's apparently the in thing, snorting these pills. Kids have always been hyper and amped up. Now we just give them all a pill and send them on their way. I know in some cases it's needed, but it has gotten out of control.

I agree with this completely. I do however think that simpler times brought on simpler problems, but one could also say that it was just less known. I tend to believe that people thought out their problems more in the past, but I could very well be wrong and without the internet telling me all the crazy antics would never have known about them.

I think this is universally true in a technological society. The things our parents worried about were things their parents never considered possible, much like things we are dealing with now as parents were not issues when we grew up. There is no blame to be assigned per se, but times change and the challenges change. The part that really sucks is that there is no one "right" answer, but I'd say there never has been.

I do however think that simpler times brought on simpler problems ...
I remember my folks telling me that, when they grew up in the late 50's and early 60's they dealt with the real possibility of world annihilation in the form of nuclear war with Russia. In terms of technology, I suppose we could consider that a "simpler time" but death by nuclear war isn't what I would equate with as a "simpler problem". :)

I think it's natural for us to look at the current time and think it's worse than any other. This is why people have been predicting the end of the world for hundreds, if not thousands of years. Have we made mistakes as a society? Of course, but it has happened throughout history. The ship always seems to right itself though.

Because some of these homes that kids are growing up in are just flat out pathetic. You see it. Fathers that are no longer in the child picture. Mom's that have given up and are waiting for the kids to just move out of the house. Parents losing jobs and living off Medicaid. Drugs use in the homes. Bullies in the schools that have taken over. Teachers that would rather turn on a movie during class than actually teach (not saying that's you). PE that has been done away with in schools. Friend and peer pressure to do bad things. No accountability. No acceptance. No discipline. Kids now tell parents what to do in the home. It's sad. The list goes on and on but it's really disturbing to see bad things happen to kids and it's beyond their control.

It's sad to see this outcome and know it could have been prevented. Makes me upset.

All of this and more, don't get me started. Add to it a serious lack of mental health professionals throughout the country and it's not a good mix at all.

I can't e-file Kansas because we also have a Missouri return? And I wasn't even going to e-file Missouri anyway because the fee was half our return!

At least I got Federal e-filed.

I think this is universally true in a technological society. The things our parents worried about were things their parents never considered possible, much like things we are dealing with now as parents were not issues when we grew up. There is no blame to be assigned per se, but times change and the challenges change. The part that really sucks is that there is no one "right" answer, but I'd say there never has been.

Agreed. People act and think later. More and more people are having children without even thinking about the ramifications. This is one of those things that I am sure happened close to as much previously, but hear more about due to our internet society. In my day, if a teenager got pregnant, it would have been a catastrophe. I mean major news. In todays age, there are TV shows about it (regularly).

Agreed. People act and think later. More and more people are having children without even thinking about the ramifications. This is one of those things that I am sure happened close to as much previously, but hear more about due to our internet society. In my day, if a teenager got pregnant, it would have been a catastrophe. I mean major news. In todays age, there are TV shows about it (regularly).

Kids having kids. It's celebrated now and as you said, your almost a celebrity or in MTV's case, you are. It's sad.

I've read through the thread and all have said or commented how I feel. I think no matter how great and involved of a parent you are, any kid can feel helpless & make a stupid decision. Like many have said technology is a double edge sword. It provides a wealth of knowledge on any topic you can imagine, but also is the most powerful weapon for those who want to intentionally harm people. I think cyber bullying is just as bad as physical/verbal bullying.

As a father of two girls I literally have nights where I go over my day and make sure my girls know we can talk about anything. I'm the parent and I set the rules, but I'm also the safest place for you to ask a question & be comfortable. I just hope I can teach them not only to stand up for themselves, but also stand up & defend those who can't defend themselves.

I've been unemployed for over a year in my profession. I was supposed to start a new job this week. But nooooooo. I was called to jury duty. This is the 2nd day. At least they have wifi at the courthouse. If I get picked for the criminal trial, it's supposed to last until May 14th! !!! Not a good start to a new job. :angry:

Canio that is tough man, I know jury duty is your civil duty but I'd find a way out of this one.

Canio that is tough man, I know jury duty is your civil duty but I'd find a way out of this one.

I got a postponement once already. I won a golf trip and a full set of Cobra Amps for last Oct. on the same dates. So I couldn't get another postponement. Plus I didn't get the job until last week. My prospective employer was good with my jury duty. I hope and pray that I don't get picked for this trial.

The A/C has been out here at the office all day and it is hot! Guess I will go home early.

Treatment for golfers elbow is long.... Ice 3-4 times a day and an elbow strap. They said it could take up to 6 months to fully heal and I shouldn't play until it is completely healed. I have been researching remedies, stretches and exercises to speed up the process.

I am thinking about taking the money I would spend playing and getting fit for a counterbalanced SeeMore and taking the aimpoint class that I've wanted to do for a long time.

My rant for today is also somewhat a hhjj now that it is done but a pain through the day. I had some stuff to do in SQL today and one thing in particular was giving me fits. Worked on it for a few hours couldn't get it took a break and came back to it finished what I needed to do in about 5 minutes. Just wasn't thinking clearly or something before the break.

Unfortunately it took me to long and now by the time I get home it will be to dark for the range. Looks like I will be going to the Columbia gathering without touching a club for two weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Treatment for golfers elbow is long.... Ice 3-4 times a day and an elbow strap. They said it could take up to 6 months to fully heal and I shouldn't play until it is completely healed. I have been researching remedies, stretches and exercises to speed up the process.

I am thinking about taking the money I would spend playing and getting fit for a counterbalanced SeeMore and taking the aimpoint class that I've wanted to do for a long time.

I took a month off after MC2012 and I have been fine ever since. This is a great thread on tendonitis: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?14032-Tendonitis-Golfers-Elbow/page9

Here is a link in that thread to some great exercises/stretches: http://www.ourhealthnetwork.com/conditions/hand/GolfersElbow.asp

I also told my chiropractor about it, and he popped my elbow. Did wonders! http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...olfers-Elbow&p=1526843&viewfull=1#post1526843

Just watched as two inspiring body builders got in an argument about steroids. The one then proceeded to insult the other by saying he had small glutes. Lol oh no he didn't!!

I took a month off after MC2012 and I have been fine ever since. This is a great thread on tendonitis: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?14032-Tendonitis-Golfers-Elbow/page9

Here is a link in that thread to some great exercises/stretches: http://www.ourhealthnetwork.com/conditions/hand/GolfersElbow.asp

I also told my chiropractor about it, and he popped my elbow. Did wonders! http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...olfers-Elbow&p=1526843&viewfull=1#post1526843

Thanks for the links. I've noticed that the ice does wonders and reading that thread, it all makes sense now. I've been struggling pretty badly with casting for the past few months, and apparently that will cause it to flare up.

Just watched as two inspiring body builders got in an argument about steroids. The one then proceeded to insult the other by saying he had small glutes. Lol oh no he didn't!!
Friends dont let friends skip leg day.

Friends dont let friends skip leg day.

Lol seriously. It was entertaining to say the least. I immediately thought about Anchorman when Veronica says he has bad hair hahaha. Wanted to say something but there was too much testosterone

Friends don't let friends do leg day.

Sincerely,
Someone who had a leg day today

Friends don't let friends eat donuts...........while doing leg day.

Friends don't let friends eat donuts...........while doing leg day.

Sure they do. That would be the best friend ever come to think of it

6 months man that is a long time. Was looking forward to playing again soon. I hope you heel up faster than 6 months I know I would go crazy stuck not being able to golf during spring/summer. Look into some recoils for those irons when you come back help reduce the stress on the elbow

2 rants today.
The first is that I just finished cutting the grass. The first cut of the year is always a massive chore, and made worse when the grass is very wet. My poor old 1970 Craftsman lawn mower had all it could handle today and my back feels like I just played 72 holes in one day.
The second is the stresses around renewing the mortgage. How the heck do you know which expert to listen to? Variable or fixed? 3 year or 6 year? That and the bank's websites are so confusing. Why would a bank have listed a 5 year closed rate at 4.89% but then right next to it have a 5 year closed "low rate mortgage" at 2.99%? Time to set up some appointments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back