Cobra Bio Cell Driver Review Thread

I had some Bio Cell tips installed before I made the trip to Florida. They are not interchangeable.
Ah ok, I thought you had said it was the old tip.

I was wrong, sorry for the confusion.

Here is my THP Tester submission. I tried my best to not duplicate or piggy back on anything Hawk had already commented on. In the end I knew this was a long shot given my club of choice and the quality review Hawk already did. I chose to accept the challenge and hopefully I surprised a few folks.

Cobra Bio Cell Review
After a successful 2013 in the driver market, Cobra Golf now introduces the latest evolution of its driver, the Cobra BIO Cell
Direct from Cobra:
The all-titanium BIO CELL driver has taken adjustability, customization and pure distance to the next level. The BIO CELL Driver is equipped with MyFly8 and SmartPad technology that features 8 adjustable loft settings, allowing you to tune the driver for maximum distance to match your swing.
It also features New Crown CELL weighting and Forged E9 BIO CELL face technologies that reduce the weight in the crown and face to deliver a lower CG, higher MOI and faster ball speeds. The result? A much larger sweet zone™ delivering longer and straighter drives, even on off-center hits.

TECHNOLOGY-
OEM’s love to use marketing catch phrases or buzz words to get golfers interested with their latest products. So naturally hearing that Cobra was calling the new driver BIO Cell I wondered if this was all hype or actually had some design merit to it. Cobra actually delivers technology and design behind the BIO Cell name. By introducing the “cell technology” into the all titanium crown, Cobra produced a highly effective weight design methodology. By successfully moving weight throughout the head Cobra produced a 460cc head with a low Center of Gravity (CG), increased Moment of Inertia (MOI), & higher launch with low spin for faster ball speeds that provides maximum distance on off center hits.
Paired with a forged E9 BIO Cell face that has increased the effective sweet zone producing longer & straighter drives from anywhere on the face.
Cobra continues with its MyFly technology. With MyFly8 you can chose 8 loft settings, 9.0*/9.5*/9.5*Draw/10.5*/10.5*Draw/11.5*/11.5Draw/12.0*, players can tune launch for maximum distance with any swing. The Smart Pad technology automatically delivers a square face at address regardless of the loft settings countering the tendency of the face angles to change when adjusting loft.

SPECIFICATIONS/PERSONALIZATION
Cobra is offering five color options for the BIO Cell in Blue Aster, Barbados Red, Vibrant Orange, Silver & Black. Each Bio Cell is paired with the Graffaloy Project X- PXv in four weights, 54g, 58g, 60g & 64g and flexes of A, R, S & X.
Currently playing the Barbados Red the color looks good on the crown. Towards the back of the crown is a subtle design of the internal BIO Cell technology. Although subtle, it completes the design quite well. Cobra also included the iconic snake logo that has become synonymous with the brand to help with alignment.

PERFORMANCE
I have been playing the Barbados Red with the PXv Stiff flex and tested on the course exclusively. Set at 12* the face angle remains square & experienced a mid-trajectory ball flight. After several rounds I’ve been experiencing distance gains anywhere from 10-15 yards on well struck tee shots. Without the benefit of a launch monitor I can only assume based on the technology that was introduced into the BIO Cell the spin is lower thus helping maintain straighter shots increasing distance. On shots that were struck towards the heel/toe distances were less, but not penalizing thanks to the E9 face technology.

Final Thoughts
With much of the golf industry trying to chase more yards off the tee and pushing designs, Cobra has successfully accomplished this & still conforms to the USGA. The BIO Cell will allow the average golfer numerous fitting options all in one head while eliminating confusion. Whether the stock PXv or an aftermarket shaft, players will benefit from a proper fitting to maximize the potential this driver can deliver.

Great review. Well done!

Great review Mike!!

Man I got really excited for a few minutes thinking that the 4 amp cell shafts I have will work if I get a Bio cell...

Oh well, thanks for the info. Amp cell Wrench will work, adapters won't.

Well, this thing is impossible to hit a draw with (at least for me) I was hoping to hit some nice high draws with the 11.5D setting but as yet, no luck. More forgiving than your mother and longer than the amp cell for sure. Stock shaft much improved (as most have said). Let the honeymoon period continue!

Well, this thing is impossible to hit a draw with (at least for me) I was hoping to hit some nice high draws with the 11.5D setting but as yet, no luck. More forgiving than your mother and longer than the amp cell for sure. Stock shaft much improved (as most have said). Let the honeymoon period continue!

That's very interesting as its also naturally a draw weighted driver. Sounds like you are enjoying the added ball speed and lower spin from the AC though, that, is awesome!

That's very interesting as its also naturally a draw weighted driver. Sounds like you are enjoying the added ball speed and lower spin from the AC though, that, is awesome!

It will be interesting to see how it goes on a really good ball striking day.

Going to hit this tonight, hopefully along with the x2 hot, covert 2.0 BB and maybe a couple of others. If the fitting goes well, should have a shiny new stick in the bag. Can't wait... And if I like the BC, then what colour, red or black... Love it...

Going to hit this tonight, hopefully along with the x2 hot, covert 2.0 BB and maybe a couple of others. If the fitting goes well, should have a shiny new stick in the bag. Can't wait... And if I like the BC, then what colour, red or black... Love it...
looking forward to hearing your thoughts ...roll on the 12th for me..the lime green still beckons.....

looking forward to hearing your thoughts ...roll on the 12th for me..the lime green still beckons.....

Is that a special edition?

That green really needs to come in the + model! Maybe one of these days.

American golf do it over here
I have emailed Cobra to see if I choose a BC from their fitting if I can get that head anyway...awaiting a reply
http://www.golfgalaxy.com/cobra-mens-bio-cell-driver---green/fa13cbrbceldvrgrn/product

link from golf galaxy but its the same one over here

O ok thanks - will be interested in how you get on
Looking forward to my session - still not sure I understand the lofting. Looks like you can set draw at 11.5 but not at 12 etc. sounds a bit confusing....

The My fly has three draw settings 9.5 ...10.5...11.5 draw...as well as 9...9.5....10.5..11.5....12.0 which are neutral settings ...so far I have only hit it on a neutral setting
As a bonus the pro there has also thrown in a hours swing analysis lesson so its all good.....although it is going to take more than an hour to correct my swing faults....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

The My fly has three draw settings 9.5 ...10.5...11.5 draw...as well as 9...9.5....10.5..11.5....12.0 which are neutral settings ...so far I have only hit it on a neutral setting
As a bonus the pro there has also thrown in a hours swing analysis lesson so its all good.....although it is going to take more than an hour to correct my swing faults....

I bet he gets you straightened out with swing and loft in that hour. Let us know how that works outs.

It's better than that ...I have a half hour booked with the Cobra rep and launch monitor on the 12th ....then the hours swing analysis lesson on the 14th ....actually really physched looking forward to getting some good pointers to work on my swing...it's time to put the work in and make a move forward

I finally tried the BC today against a number of other drivers.
i absolutely love the look of it, and sitting against the ball it's the best I've seen of anything.
Sadly it just didn't give me the results of a couple of the others. But that doesn't mean much as I think I clearly have different needs to most of the guys here hitting it 270+ in the air.
I'll post details in case anyone is interested in my other thread.
hopefully will have a new stick before my first game of the season in a couple of weeks.
Steve

i absolutely love the look of it, and sitting against the ball it's the best I've seen of anything.
Sadly it just didn't give me the results of a couple of the others. But that doesn't mean much as I think I clearly have different needs to most of the guys here hitting it 270+ in the air.
hopefully will have a new stick before my first game of the season in a couple of weeks.
Steve

Its all about fitting dude, good for you for going and trying it out to see if it would work for your needs rather than just knee jerk purchasing on a risk.

Its all about fitting dude, good for you for going and trying it out to see if it would work for your needs rather than just knee jerk purchasing on a risk.

Yep, you are right. Gonna make the plunge soon. Just hope I don't regret not getting the BB
id love to know your handicap. Must be a different system in the US :act-up:

Steve

Would be interested in your thoughts and numbers you got for this , I have a Swing speed of 95/96 mph and was getting to around 250 with it so I know thats not massive long but it suits me just fine compared with my current driver and I had a much better dispersion as well. I am going to try the BC+ as well as its lower spinning so might squeeze a few more yards , although the combination of dispersion and forgiveness is more important to me than MONSTER distance , will keep you updated with my thoughts and numbers from the fitting ...

Would be interested in your thoughts and numbers you got for this , I have a Swing speed of 95/96 mph and was getting to around 250 with it so I know thats not massive long but it suits me just fine compared with my current driver and I had a much better dispersion as well. I am going to try the BC+ as well as its lower spinning so might squeeze a few more yards , although the combination of dispersion and forgiveness is more important to me than MONSTER distance , will keep you updated with my thoughts and numbers from the fitting ...

I'll post more details later, but the main outcome was that the most consistent club was the Nike Covert - the Bio cell was more inconsistent for me, but the X2 hot was more consistent than the BC and only marginally less than the Covert, but was consistently longer with a more consistent launch than the others, only by about 5 to 6 yards though.
I'd be tempted with the Nike, but I think I can get a great consistent set of results with Callaway. No matter how hard I tried, the BC didnt do as well for me. It looks sooooooo good esp when you put it down by the ball (really like the Nike too), and the x2 hot is pretty underwhelming to look at imho.
I only manage about 225 carry so any help there I can get is useful.
Im thinking about picking one up tomorrow
Looking forward to hearing what you decide to do...

Thanks for the reply , I haven't hit the latest version of the Covert , last years was nice but visually just didnt do it for me . The Xhot was nice again have not hit this years version but the BB didn't get the same numbers for me . The SLDR was longer but only a couple of yards and was not worth considering further because of the dispersion I was getting .
Did you play with the different lofts on the BC?
i will talk through my swing and what I am looking for with the Cobra Rep and look at the numbers and consistency I can get with either of the BC or BC+ , going to talk to him about my shaft in my Amp cell 3 wood see if he thinks I need a different shaft for that ....could be an expensive day....:beat-up:

Thanks for the reply , I haven't hit the latest version of the Covert , last years was nice but visually just didnt do it for me . The Xhot was nice again have not hit this years version but the BB didn't get the same numbers for me . The SLDR was longer but only a couple of yards and was not worth considering further because of the dispersion I was getting .
Did you play with the different lofts on the BC?
i will talk through my swing and what I am looking for with the Cobra Rep and look at the numbers and consistency I can get with either of the BC or BC+ , going to talk to him about my shaft in my Amp cell 3 wood see if he thinks I need a different shaft for that ....could be an expensive day....:beat-up:

Interesting stuff
I did play with each other drivers at max loft (i.e. 12 or 12.5) and neutral (i.e. no draw or fade setting)
I then tried each one at 1 deg less again at neutral
All results seemed to be relatively the same, so at each loft the Cally performed about 5 yards further than the others and dispersion was similar.
11 to 11.5 could be good for me if I play on a windy day or maybe a links course but otherwise I would prob use the max.
I would say the BC felt very sweet off the face but the others did really too.

For me its the tough choice of going with the X2 hot with a little more length or the Nike with a little more consistency

Keep me posted:act-up:

Back