Adams Tight Lies Fairway - THP Preview

I sort of expected the distance loss since it's been a recurring theme with this one, but for a true fairway club I'm not sure I care. Off the tee would be a negative though. That does make me lean towards the 5W more than a 3W, since that's a club I legitimately seem to use off the turf.

Damn you anyway.

I sort of expected the distance loss since it's been a recurring theme with this one, but for a true fairway club I'm not sure I care. Off the tee would be a negative though. That does make me lean towards the 5W more than a 3W, since that's a club I legitimately seem to use off the turf.

Ha, I'm sorry!

I honestly think I don't care. I was thinking about it, a club that is legitimately viable for me to hit off the deck, with accuracy, into a par 5 could be massive. Plus, as much as I enjoy the thought of a fairway wood that I can hit off the tee on short par 4's, I'm better off just taking a hybo there most times anyways.

These do sound like very interesting clubs that could possibly help a lot of people get the ball in the air due to the design, although for me, the struggles that you have seen when using a tee do slightly put me off as my current 3W is so reliable off the tee that I would be reluctant to replace it with something that might not work as well (obviously hitting it is the only way to find out)

When I got my current 3W it was actually a very close run thing between the RBZ and an Adams (I can't remember which model but it did have a velocity slot) but the RBZ just worked that little bit better for me and ended up in the bag

These do sound like very interesting clubs that could possibly help a lot of people get the ball in the air due to the design, although for me, the struggles that you have seen when using a tee do slightly put me off as my current 3W is so reliable off the tee that I would be reluctant to replace it with something that might not work as well (obviously hitting it is the only way to find out)

When I got my current 3W it was actually a very close run thing between the RBZ and an Adams (I can't remember which model but it did have a velocity slot) but the RBZ just worked that little bit better for me and ended up in the bag

Its definitely all about what the individual needs/wants.

I don't want it to seem as if it cant be hit off a tee, it can and I have seen some of the Adams guys kill it there, but you just have to find the right height and such.

Question for those that have spent time on the course with these. Do you find off the tee they are tough to use with the shallow face? I should say tougher to use? I tested one out and liked it off the deck (a shot I dont use a ton), but really struggled off the tee with it. Could be tee height, could be ball flight, but it was a tough one for me.

I don't struggle too much with this off the tee, at least no more than normal with my other FW. I do find myself teeing it a bit lower than my X-Hot though. I haven't seen much of a distance loss either, but it is one-half degree stronger than my X-Hot. I find that this club is really solid all around, so far. I have only used it in a handful of rounds, so far, though.

Question for those that have spent time on the course with these. Do you find off the tee they are tough to use with the shallow face? I should say tougher to use? I tested one out and liked it off the deck (a shot I dont use a ton), but really struggled off the tee with it. Could be tee height, could be ball flight, but it was a tough one for me.

Thats what I'm seeing right now, off the tee I'm better off hitting it off the deck w/o a tee and have been most of the time. It has a propensity to dig off of a tee, and the shallow face and sole undoubtedly has a lot to do with that.

Its definitely all about what the individual needs/wants.

I don't want it to seem as if it cant be hit off a tee, it can and I have seen some of the Adams guys kill it there, but you just have to find the right height and such.

I agree and it is completely why I said I would have to hit it to see if it worked for me

As I mentioned to JMan, it would be interesting to see how many people did struggle with this off the tee as I do like to have the flexibility of using my 3W if the hole layout dictates it

The fact that it appears to be so easy to hit from the deck is a great plus point, but if it loses from the tee I would have to think long and hard about whether it would make my bag

Thats what I'm seeing right now, off the tee I'm better off hitting it off the deck w/o a tee and have been most of the time. It has a propensity to dig off of a tee, and the shallow face and sole undoubtedly has a lot to do with that.

As tempting as it would be to use this as an option, I would not like to have to rely on the condition of the tee box to give me the chance to hit from the deck, especially considering the state of some tee boxes at courses

As tempting as it would be to use this as an option, I would not like to have to rely on the condition of the tee box to give me the chance to hit from the deck, especially considering the state of some tee boxes at courses

Which is entirely understandable.

Its evident through others feedback and what I have seen during review time that it does what it was intended to do and make the fairway wood playable off the deck again for more golfers, that was the focus just as with the original Tight Lies and they definitely pulled it off.

jb, im still rather new to golf and have this in 5w. on the ground i seem to hit it just fine but i have all kinds of issues off a tee. my only tee success with it is to literally push tee almost flush to the ground. my co worker hits it off the tee 220 plus. we have a 220 par 3 and he bombed the ball over the green. but he has played for 20 plus years

Thanks for the feedback.

just asked him a few questions. he said he had the ball at about half an inch up on the tee and ball was on his left heel for the hit

What's the MSRP on these? I just checked eBay and saw some for $100 with buy-it-now

What's the MSRP on these? I just checked eBay and saw some for $100 with buy-it-now

MSRP is 199, but being that they came out in late 2013 I'm not surprised to see them lower in some places.

Hit this one a couple times to end my range session, still, its just really easy for me off the deck, the launch, the sound, the forgiveness are all solid.

Hit this one a couple times to end my range session, still, its just really easy for me off the deck, the launch, the sound, the forgiveness are all solid.

Damn dude, you have me wanting to try this again. Been awhile since I had much success with a FW off the deck but I did hit this one decently at Cowboys.

Jman

Are you more of a sweeper or a digger? I definitely have a steeper angle of attack, and I actually prefer deeper face woods off the deck & tee. I have always struggled when using a shallower face wood - with my steeper attack angle, it is very easy to hit it very high on the face and pop them up. I remember with the original tight lie club I was the one guy who basically could not use them from the rough - pop up city.

Damn dude, you have me wanting to try this again. Been awhile since I had much success with a FW off the deck but I did hit this one decently at Cowboys.

I hit it very MEH in Dallas when I think you handed it to me and I promptly put it down and out of mind to be honest. Having some "forced" time with it has been a good thing, I really think I could rock a 5w long term in my bag. Hitting a fairway off the deck like I have been is all new to me. Now, I don't want it to come off like its a wonder club, crappy swings still yield crappy results, but a solid swing and its really really good at what it was designed to do. I like the lightweight Mitsu Bassara in it too to be honest.

Jman

Are you more of a sweeper or a digger? I definitely have a steeper angle of attack, and I actually prefer deeper face woods off the deck & tee. I have always struggled when using a shallower face wood - with my steeper attack angle, it is very easy to hit it very high on the face and pop them up. I remember with the original tight lie club I was the one guy who basically could not use them from the rough - pop up city.

Haha, I don't think I have ever been thought of as a sweeper, I can take some major beaver pelts. I take a slight divot with this odd the deck, the sole there does its job and doesn't dig like a standard deeper 3w w/ a rounded sole section does for me.

Jman,
Thank you for the great review. I saw these at Golf Galaxy last weekend and I think they look even better in person. I've given up on ever being a long hitter awhile ago (I can even make my XTD Ti look bad) so distance or lack thereof isn't that big of a deal for me. I'm looking forward to the chance to demo the tight lies since they sound like a great option for getting the ball up off the hard fairways we have here during the summer.

Good luck with trying them out DT!

I'm writing this one this weekend, should hopefully go up towards the end of next week perhaps.

Put the finishing touches on this review yesterday, I still am stuck on how easy it really was for me off the deck and from waste/rough areas too. I honestly think it'll be staying in the bag for a while.

So, the review for this one was already turned in at the beginning of this week to Mr. Editor Hawk.

With that said, I'm keeping it in the bag right now. Mainly because I'm really working on my driver swing right now so it gets most of the use off the tee, and when it doesn't I can just pull the 20/23 hybrids. So this is basically an off the deck club for me and has changed how I have been playing par 5's and also playing from trouble lies. Its a lot of fun, the thought of a 5w (19) will be a definite post MC ponder for me.

So, the review for this one was already turned in at the beginning of this week to Mr. Editor Hawk.

With that said, I'm keeping it in the bag right now. Mainly because I'm really working on my driver swing right now so it gets most of the use off the tee, and when it doesn't I can just pull the 20/23 hybrids. So this is basically an off the deck club for me and has changed how I have been playing par 5's and also playing from trouble lies. Its a lot of fun, the thought of a 5w (19) will be a definite post MC ponder for me.
With the versatility of this club I could see a huge purpose for a 5w in the bag.

I've enjoyed following this thread.
Being a short hitter, I need a club that will be easy to hit out of the fairway while providing decent distance. Since I appear to be the market Adams had in mind when they designed the club, I'm really interested in demoing these clubs at the end of the month.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Back