Too Serious Or Not Enough

Golferbest

Reaction score
Handicap
So during my return to playing this game and prepping for a big event coming up, I have realized something that seems a little off from the old me.

Before the break I was VERY dedicated to the lowest score possible. I worked on the range. Somenights into the late hours. I read, practiced, took some lessons a was borderlined obsessed with shooting under par. Well I was down to a 2-3 and could shoot low 70's quite often.

Fast fowarding to now. Been back since October and play to a trending 6.9. With this "event" coming up I practice, read and am lowering my handicap a little here and there. However if it wasnt for this id be completly complacent with a sub 10 handicap.

Last weekend I played a course that just ate me up. I played bogey golf where I could have easily shot low 80's if I would have just focused more instead of just having a blast. In the end I feel my captain was wondering what was wrong with me, but I took the road where having a great time outweighed wanting a lower score.

Now im sure some say you can have both. I applaud this, but for me I have to give a little of one to increase the other.

So to the questions.

1.When just out and having a great time, does enjoying the round and cutting up effect your score?
A. Is so, which would you prefer at the end of the round?

2. During a tournament or event round does the "seriousness" of that event change your play?
A. If so, then so you think it impacts you positively or negatively?
3. As a game that everyone is always trying to get better. Is there a point where youd just be happy shooting a certain score.

4. Any tips on how to turn that seriousness back on after years of just going with the flow..

I'm in the camp of having fun AND playing well. If you really think about it, you can easily have a great time with buddies and then get "serious" for the full 2 seconds it takes to take a swing each time.

1. I think that casual rounds make me a bit more complacent. I do not seem to shoot as well since there are little consequences. If shooting well and having a good time are exclusive, honestly, I would rather shoot well. I think that is a minority opinion, but I played competitive golf for the first 10 years I played, so it is what I enjoyed more. With that said, I love being able to do both, which is the case at THP events.

2. It seems like I play better in more competitive "serious" rounds. It keeps me more focused and makes me realize that a bad shot hurts me all the more.

3. Right now, I play to about a 7 handicap. I was very satisfied with that since I did not have a reason to get better. Now that I am in the Bridgestone Championship, it gives me a reason to improve my game since I will have a teammate to work with and not let down.

4. To put it bluntly, my tip is all about having the motivation to practice. Honestly, if the Morgan Cup is not a big enough motivation to get back on track, I don't know what is.

I have a blast playing golf, but not in the sense that some people do. Just being out there trying to navigate my way from tee to green gives me a rush and a sense of calm all at the same time. Now if I start getting into numerous beverages it's a bit of a different story, but for me that's hardly even golf anymore.
I don't think my level of "golf seriousness" affects my play in a big way one way or the other. I've played like crap while having fun, and I've played like crap while being completely focused and serious.

I can honestly say that my demeanor or seriousness doesn't change regardless of the event.

I always want to play well.
I always have fun.

I know that's a short answer but it's the truth....if I'm not having fun then I won't be out there.

4. To put it bluntly, my tip is all about having the motivation to practice. Honestly, if the Morgan Cup is not a big enough motivation to get back on track, I don't know what is.

I assure you this has motivated me to improve again.. just ponder what ill do when its over..will I continue to work as hard, or will I focus on being sub 10 and be happy

I'm in camp pound cookie. It's exactly how I view the game and what strive to get out if it everytime I play.

I can honestly say that my demeanor or seriousness doesn't change regardless of the event.

I always have fun.

I know that's a short answer but it's the truth....if I'm not having fun then I won't be out there.

This is me as well. It is a personality thing for sure but I tend to have the same demeanor no matter what type of round I am playing.

If I had to absolutely choose between a good time or a good score, I would probably lean a bit more towards the good score

But I do find that 99% of the time they go hand in hand for me, the better I am playing, the more I enjoy it so it becomes a constant circle of hitting good shots and enjoying myself even more

That course was tough and let's be honest, the conditions were far from ideal.

I used to be dead serious about everything on the course, but as you saw Sunday I'm pretty laid back now. Don't get me wrong, I get upset about bad shots and such, but I just move on to the next shot. Getting frustrated does nothing to help me going forward. Learn from the past and move on.

Golf is fun no matter what type of setting you're playing in. That's why I play. But, I'm a pretty fierce competitor when it comes down to it, and I am able to turn the switch on and off when I want. When I am playing competitively I will joke in between holes and maybe a shot or too. But otherwise, I'm pretty focused on what I'm doing.

There are times when you look at the scorecard and realize that the round is shot and what I do is work on just hitting good shots and not worry about the score.

FWIW - you're entire round on Sunday could be called awesome for two shots. First, the hybrid from the rough that hooked over and around the trees to 20 feet past the pin (solid bogey BTW :alien: ). And Second, the tee shot into that par three that had a granite canyon behind the green. That was straight out of Golden Tee.

First of all, I am the worst person to be giving advise on this. I wouldn't worry at all about the round last weekend. You had wet, dormant Bermuda, cart path only, people shanking shots all around, etc.

Sounds to me like you may want to put yourself in those competitive situations leading up to the MC as you can locally and see how it effects you. While it is all friends and bro-hugs before and after the MC rounds, there is a different feel of competitiveness there.

Finally, while you know what it takes to be there, your overall motivations around the game, the time spent on it, and your outside obligations have probably changed drastically since before your break. The MC is probably a good motivation to get you out there now, and if you settle back to being happy at an "easier" handicap in the months after the event, I see not problem with that.

This is me as well. It is a personality thing for sure but I tend to have the same demeanor no matter what type of round I am playing.

Yep, Morgan Cup singles 2 years ago.

There was a ton on the line but tell me that we didn't take the golf seriously while still having a blast on the course.

You can have it both ways.

It seems for me to go in trends, since I travel so much I cannot really practice and most rounds something will work and something will not. For instance some rounds the driver is on and the irons off, or the driver and irons work but cannot make a putt.

I am really hopeful all the pieces will at least show up on Sat. to some extend but I always have fun no matter what.

On my home course which is fairly short, I have never broke par and that has been a goal. It is a Par 70 and I have shot 71, 73, etc, but always have that blow up hole or miss some easy putts to lose the round, as you said the seriousness needed to stay focused and in the round is a hard thing to maintain. Most rounds lately have been mid to low 80's but with the issues with the new irons and switching between sets I kind of just gave up and enjoy the time outside.

Sounds to me like you may want to put yourself in those competitive situations leading up to the MC as you can locally and see how it effects you. While it is all friends and bro-hugs before and after the MC rounds, there is a different feel of competitiveness there.

This has alot of merit to it. Maybe the lack their of competition has me a little lax..

Ill try this approach tomorrow in the rain at kinderlou. :)

I assure you this has motivated me to improve again.. just ponder what ill do when its over..will I continue to work as hard, or will I focus on being sub 10 and be happy

I will add, and this will apply to 90% of the Morgan Cup participants, there is definitely a Morgan Cup hangover. To your point, by the time the event gets here, we will have all spent 6-9 months invested in this event, focused and prepping for those few rounds. When they are over and you get back home, there is a different feeling there for a while...almost like a kid the day after Christmas. To me, that is a normal part of the process here, although managing that this year when you will still want to be providing feedback on clubs that you just received will be paramount for me at least.

I'm at a point in my life where I am not getting to play near as much as I would like, so it is very important to me to have fun when I do have the opportunity to get out. To me, if I am not having fun when I play, there is no point in being there. I always like to shoot a low score. One of the most important factors to me in having fun on the course is the group I am with. I am fortunate to have found a handful of guys that I really enjoy the company of on or off the course, and I really think that helps.

1.When just out and having a great time, does enjoying the round and cutting up effect your score? It really does, I am concentration challenged and conversation really throws me off

I would prefer a good score, I play to be as good as I can get.

2. During a tournament or event round does the "seriousness" of that event change your play? Indeed it does, in an event every shot has different meaning, I know I take it too serious but it's who I am, not snobbery just the desire to be better than I was yesterday.

As long as I do my best I consider it positive.

3. As a game that everyone is always trying to get better. Is there a point where youd just be happy shooting a certain score. Never, I will always want to better my personal best, it drives me.

4. Any tips on how to turn that seriousness back on after years of just going with the flow.. I have no idea how to do it honestly, I am by nature a pretty serious person so it's easy for me to approach it from that perspective, you just have to decide what's important to you and feel at peace with your decision. Playing for enjoyment or playing to win is an either or, there's no right or wrong. Just leave knowing you put it all out there.

I will add, and this will apply to 90% of the Morgan Cup participants, there is definitely a Morgan Cup hangover. To your point, by the time the event gets here, we will have all spent 6-9 months invested in this event, focused and prepping for those few rounds. When they are over and you get back home, there is a different feeling there for a while...almost like a kid the day after Christmas. To me, that is a normal part of the process here, although managing that this year when you will still want to be providing feedback on clubs that you just received will be paramount for me at least.

This is really well said. My last experience playing in the event was 2 years ago. I thought I could go out and play a round 10 days later and it just was not fun. Most that know me know that I always have fun on the course. I think that is the best part of the game. I always try to play my best and some of my best scores ever have been with THPers when we were having a blast. I think of the round with ddec and me firing a 34 on the front 9 at University Park or at the THP Outing at Reunion last year and throwing a 33 on the board at the Palmer course back 9 with J4U and others. Its got to be fun for me, but having fun and playing well should never be mutually exclusive.

There will be a hang over after the event. In fact I would bet that anybody that truly preps for #THPMC and gives it everything they have, will have one. If not, I have to wonder. Its part of anything in life. Work on a project every day for months, when it ends, its hard to get motivated.

To me, the two are not connected. When it's time to hit a shot, I'm going to focus on that shot. In between I'm going to have a good time. On/off switch. Now, when I am laughing or joking around with a club in my hand good things generally don't happen.

I always have fun.

That's how I am. I focus on my game, but talk while walking down the fairway, and have a lot of fun. I always try my best, and just enjoy being out golfing.

Just my opinions:

1.When just out and having a great time, does enjoying the round and cutting up effect your score?
I don't think cutting up and having a good time negatively affects my score, actually being too tight on the course tends to lead to bad scores. Like others have said, having a good time between shots and then getting my focus back for the shot is key. Generally I can do this, in charity type best ball tournies I tend not to regain focus

2. During a tournament or event round does the "seriousness" of that event change your play?
I don't think so. I have only played in a handful of what I would call "serious" events (ie: cost me alot of money to play in) but I find that I have to keep the same persepective even in those events. Of course, banter and such could be limited based on who is in the group. Sometimes it is hard to have as much fun in a serious event if you are not riding/playing along sied one of your buddies.

3. As a game that everyone is always trying to get better. Is there a point where youd just be happy shooting a certain score.
Right now I just want to play to my ability. Anything under 80 is a sucess for me and sometimes low 80's is good depending on the course and conditions. I do want to improve and events like #TheKing motivate me to improve. However I'm 33 with a wife and two preteen kids. I am fortunate to have the limited spare time I have and let's just be honest, the time and money needed to drastically improve my scores is just not available at this time. IOnce the nest is empty then yes, I plan to take more time to work on my game, I think my wife also wants to learn the game more at that time.

4. Any tips on how to turn that seriousness back on after years of just going with the flow..
I dunno. I like to have fun but I try to focus on each shot. In the end I am spending money so I don't want to just go out and waste my time and money by goofing off but I'm nto going to be a robot out there either.

Good luck with your quest! There has already been some great comments/advice and I knwo more will follow. I see no reason one cant have fun and play well at the same time.

1.When just out and having a great time, does enjoying the round and cutting up effect your score? It really does, I am concentration challenged and conversation really throws me off

I would prefer a good score, I play to be as good as I can get.

2. During a tournament or event round does the "seriousness" of that event change your play? Indeed it does, in an event every shot has different meaning, I know I take it too serious but it's who I am, not snobbery just the desire to be better than I was yesterday.

As long as I do my best I consider it positive.

3. As a game that everyone is always trying to get better. Is there a point where youd just be happy shooting a certain score. Never, I will always want to better my personal best, it drives me.

4. Any tips on how to turn that seriousness back on after years of just going with the flow.. I have no idea how to do it honestly, I am by nature a pretty serious person so it's easy for me to approach it from that perspective, you just have to decide what's important to you and feel at peace with your decision. Playing for enjoyment or playing to win is an either or, there's no right or wrong. Just leave knowing you put it all out there.

Trout we are in the same boat when it comes to be concentration challenged.

Dont get me wrong i have fun on the course no matter what, but I easily fall into focusing more on that then the fine points of a shot..or vise versa...

To me, the two are not connected. When it's time to hit a shot, I'm going to focus on that shot. In between I'm going to have a good time. On/off switch. Now, when I am laughing or joking around with a club in my hand good things generally don't happen.

So with that being said, any tips or things you did to have that on/off switch or is it sometbing thay just came natural?

I've struggled with the too serious all the time issue on the course. I always have fun but think I lost out on some the enjoyment of past events and gatherings do to not havering a off switch. I'm generally of the serious nature all the time anyway.

I am working on that on/off switch for when I step up to the ball this year. I want to have a great time as well as shoot low and I believe its possible to do that.

So with that being said, any tips or things you did to have that on/off switch or is it sometbing thay just came natural?

It's not really something that I think about I guess? I am a pretty laid back guy and typically am joking around anywhere I go, but when I get to my ball I just concentrate on it. I've read some things about this in the last few months, but for the life of me can't remember where. A pre-shot routine should help. Doesn't have to be a long one, but just something that cues your brain to go into golf mode.

Back