Stock Market & Retirement Planning

GrubHub IPO today. It might be me, but i just not get it and dont think this is a long term profitable thing.

I use grubhub about once a week. In an urban area it works but I dont know what their fee structure is. A better concept is one that handles delivery for multiple restaurants that wouldn't normally do delivery.

GrubHub IPO today. It might be me, but i just not get it and dont think this is a long term profitable thing.

I don't either....but society is getting lazier by the day so you never know. I'm waiting to see McDonald's, BK and other fast food joints start to deliver like they do in Mexico.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Unlike some companies going public they actually have some decent revenue coming in.

Unlike some companies going public they actually have some decent revenue coming in.

This is true. In fact way more than I expected when I looked into it. But I just do not see the long term growth with absolutely nothing proprietary. Doesnt mean they wont, but when comparing with things such as Twitter and others (also nothing proprietary but perhaps less early revenue), just not impacting society the same. If all that makes sense.

This is true. In fact way more than I expected when I looked into it. But I just do not see the long term growth with absolutely nothing proprietary. Doesnt mean they wont, but when comparing with things such as Twitter and others (also nothing proprietary but perhaps less early revenue), just not impacting society the same. If all that makes sense.

It makes a ton of sense. They are not really doing anything special or different. Easy market for competitors to enter as well.

Callaway is having a bad couple of days.

There are some really smart people posting in this thread, with great well thought out financial plans. I hope a lot of folks are reading and taking their example.

Callaway is having a bad couple of days.

It really is, but to be expected based on the rise recently. I still think the 1st quarter financials will dazzle.

I have been contributing to 401k's and IRA's and as a result of a few lucky happenstances , I am getting ready to retire this year at age 60.

I used to invest in individual stocks, read the Value Line, all that stuff, but I ran out of time to do it all. I transferred what I had to a full service brokerage and diversified into a number of mutual funds.

The problem with 529's is that most of them have a group of designated funds that you can choose from (that was the way when I started saving for my kids education). If those funds are dogs, you are stuck. I preferred to place money in an account separate from my other accounts and manage it outside of the 529 structure. It worked for me, but may not work for others.

It makes a ton of sense. They are not really doing anything special or different. Easy market for competitors to enter as well.

A lot of restaurants in my area have developed their own online ordering systems so they don't have to pay grubhub their fee for taking the order. As that gets easier to do, GH will have to do something different.

I have a Fidelity account through work, that's about it

Was not aware of the grub hub "model" until reading the posts here. Nearest is Milwaukee but now I'm going to check it out. At least people are being inventive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was not aware of the grub hub "model" until reading the posts here. Nearest is Milwaukee but now I'm going to check it out. At least people are being inventive!

I honestly will try to order directly from a restaurant if it is at all possible. Saves them from paying a fee to GH, and if they are part of United Mileage Plus Dining, I get rewards miles for dining there. If I order through GH, I don't get that benefit.

In other retirement topics, can anyone offer some general advice regarding term vs. permanent life insurance, and what cases you'd want to pick perm over term?

I honestly will try to order directly from a restaurant if it is at all possible. Saves them from paying a fee to GH, and if they are part of United Mileage Plus Dining, I get rewards miles for dining there. If I order through GH, I don't get that benefit.

In other retirement topics, can anyone offer some general advice regarding term vs. permanent life insurance, and what cases you'd want to pick perm over term?

They both have their merits and I will leave it to the experts but in most cases perm life will be more costly for obvious reasons.

Term means you are paying for a death benefit. Perm means you are paying for a death benefit plus a savings account. This means you will get back some (if not more) than you pay in.

Some experts say you are better off buying term and investing the difference. Others say perm is the way to go. Hope that helps.

They both have their merits and I will leave it to the experts but in most cases perm life will be more costly for obvious reasons.

Term means you are paying for a death benefit. Perm means you are paying for a death benefit plus a savings account. This means you will get back some (if not more) than you pay in.

Some experts say you are better off buying term and investing the difference. Others say perm is the way to go. Hope that helps.

This is a good summary. Term is life benefit, perm is a more comprehensive investment tool. I have term. Last time I looked (had perm pitched to me) it was something like 10x what I pay for term. At that price pint I prefer to invest the difference separately.

Permanent insurance is there for your whole life. It's main purpose is to have money available to cover your death expenses and anything major at your time of death. Usually a $25k policy is perfect. This keeps the cost fairly low and your premium stays pretty much the same. The best way to do this is a Whole Life policy. Of course there are other situations for having a larger Perm policy (special needs family members and such), but most times I see them, it was just a large policy sold as 'an investment' to make a nice payout. Don't ever think of Permanent insurance as an investment.

Term Insurance is exactly what it says. It's around for a period of time to cover income replacement and large expenses(mortgages, and college costs). Of course you have to cover each person based on their income and such. So if you're 25 and have two children and a mortgage...You're going to want to get enough coverage to make sure that if you or your spouse pass, there is enough to cover expenses for a period of time and pay off the mortgage. For most families, a mortgage is the most expensive thing they have each month. With it paid off, life is much easier. If it's in the budget, you can get enough to cover the potential expense of college and such as well. Term coverage is MUCH cheaper because it's set for a period of time, usually expiring before you retire. At that time your kids are probably out of the house and hopefully your mortgage is paid off.

Permanent insurance is there for your whole life. It's main purpose is to have money available to cover your death expenses and anything major at your time of death. Usually a $25k policy is perfect. This keeps the cost fairly low and your premium stays pretty much the same. The best way to do this is a Whole Life policy. Of course there are other situations for having a larger Perm policy (special needs family members and such), but most times I see them, it was just a large policy sold as 'an investment' to make a nice payout. Don't ever think of Permanent insurance as an investment.

Term Insurance is exactly what it says. It's around for a period of time to cover income replacement and large expenses(mortgages, and college costs). Of course you have to cover each person based on their income and such. So if you're 25 and have two children and a mortgage...You're going to want to get enough coverage to make sure that if you or your spouse pass, there is enough to cover expenses for a period of time and pay off the mortgage. For most families, a mortgage is the most expensive thing they have each month. With it paid off, life is much easier. If it's in the budget, you can get enough to cover the potential expense of college and such as well. Term coverage is MUCH cheaper because it's set for a period of time, usually expiring before you retire. At that time your kids are probably out of the house and hopefully your mortgage is paid off.

I look at those definitions as Whole Life vs Term Life, not Term Life vs Perm Life
Am I missing something, because that is very different than the Perm Life policies I have encountered over my life.

Across the board. So many companies just plummet.

This is what I call a BUYING opportunity across the board :) Dollar cost averaging is always a good way to go....

I look at those definitions as Whole Life vs Term Life, not Term Life vs Perm Life
Am I missing something, because that is very different than the Perm Life policies I have encountered over my life.

Please explain...

This has always been a favorite topic of mine. I invest. I have a 401(k) through Wells Fargo at work. It's heavily invested in foreign stocks, small and mid cap domestics, and some large cap value stocks. At 32, I can assume a little more risk. I also have a target date retirement find Roth IRA through T. Rowe Price I contribute to, in addition to a roller over IRS at T. Rowe Price in a media and telecommunications fund. I used to trade a little stock at TradeKing a few years back. Nothing like day trading. Just finding a few nice long term sticks that had been beatdown and riding them out. I tried to diversify pretty well. If I was invested in an emerging fuel source, say solar or natural gas, I would add an oil driller or two to my portfolio. I did pretty well on U.S. Steel, NYSEuronext, and I bought a crap ton of Sirius when you could get it at like .50 a share and just rode it during the auto recovery. I love investing and playing with stocks.

Back to the 529's ... I really need to start one of these for our kids. I have no point of reference for assessing fees. What's a reasonably simple way of doing that?

Back