Paulina Gretzky on cover of Golf Digest

smgoldstein

2022 Goat Cupper
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
My bad if this was brought up before but the new Golf Digest issue with Paulina Gretzky on the cover is getting a lot talk-good and bad. I can see why they did it but personally not a fan of it.

But guess what it worked because you do not like it you are talking about it. And then those who like it will also. GD wins on this one.

In the business to sell magazines and subscriptions and that cover definitely pulls in the non-golf fans. I understand why there is flak coming from some LPGA players though.

Its an interesting move.
So many LPGA girls work hard on fitness and this would have been a good spot.
So many fitness people work inside the golf industry and would have been good for this.
So many PGA Tour professionals take fitness seriously and would have been good for this.

Instead they chose a "celebrity" and I view it no differently than putting Paris Hilton on the front of NFL.com when she was dating a player. Something that the NFL would never do. Its a weak splash for attention and while I have some great friends that work there, something like this I find "interesting" to say the least.

Paulina Gretzky on cover of Golf Digest

TNT hit it right on the head. People are talking about it and in the magazine business these days that's gold. Of course some LPGA players will balk...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I am not a big fan of this decision, nor when they did similar with Holly Saunders. I guess they are targeting a specific demographic to move a few more copies, but seems like a risk of alienating quite a few female subscribers. If the intent of the female is to show fitness, could they not have found an attractive LPGA tour player to highlight instead?

I'm sure I will be in the minority of this one. But from the neck up, she does nothing for me. Kind of like Holly Saunders.

So many great points JB. Such a lame move IMO.

I'm sure I will be in the minority of this one. But from the neck up, she does nothing for me. Kind of like Holly Saunders.

...goes back to look from the neck up!

I would think all this wasted publicity would be a major distraction for Dustin Johnson.

I like Holly's smile.

I am not a big fan of this decision, nor when they did similar with Holly Saunders. I guess they are targeting a specific demographic to move a few more copies, but seems like a risk of alienating quite a few female subscribers. If the intent of the female is to show fitness, could they not have found an attractive LPGA tour player to highlight instead?

At least Holly Saunders is a legitimate golfer and is on the golf channel. Paulina is simply the daughter of Wayne Gretzky and dating a PGA Tour player. She has no other ties to golf than Dustin Johnson.

I just think there are so many other choices they could have went with besides Paulina. As someone else mentioned though, it's getting talked about and that in the end is increasing the exposure for the magazine.

Didn't ESPN recently use a couple of LPGA golfers in a body paint shoot? I believe that Suzann Pettersen was one of them and certainly Golf Digest could have used this as an opportunity to promote the fitness from within the LPGA.

I understand that they are trying to sell to their demographic, but as JB said, there are plenty of LPGA players or golf fitness gurus that would have fit the bill. What's weird about Paulina is that she really doesn't look to be in shape at all, she is just thin. I'd much rather see a player that actually has some muscle definition and looks to be an athlete.

There is something above the neck???????????

At least Holly Saunders is a legitimate golfer and is on the golf channel. Paulina is simply the daughter of Wayne Gretzky and dating a PGA Tour player. She has no other ties to golf than Dustin Johnson.

I just think there are so many other choices they could have went with besides Paulina. As someone else mentioned though, it's getting talked about and that in the end is increasing the exposure for the magazine.

I agree that Holly was at least a better decision than Paulina, but I still think there were better choices than a TV personality.

It's a cheap move that is completely transparent. Golf Digest is quickly going downhill and becoming really darn useless.

I'm not a fan of this move. I get the appeal, but with so much to promote within the sport right now I think a better option is out there. The LPGA has their first major going on & think some exposure for them and their players would have been better.

Didn't ESPN recently use a couple of LPGA golfers in a body paint shoot? I believe that Suzann Pettersen was one of them and certainly Golf Digest could have used this as an opportunity to promote the fitness from within the LPGA.

ESPN has highlighted some LPGA (and PGA) pros in their Body Issue, both extremely fit, and not fit ones.

Clearly they were just hoping to bring back the people who ditched them for passing off the TaylorMade sales flier as the 2014 Hot List:alien:

Not a huge fan of the decision. SI swimsuit or something? Fine. A golf publication simply because she and DJ are together? Not really fine. JB's points are a little deeper than I actually looked at this, but they actually make me less of a fan of the decision simply because of the exclusion of so many that could have been more relevant on the cover of this issue. Gotta sell those magazines though right?

JM

I'm on Golf Digest's website and there is a slideshow with Paulina. A few pictures in that slideshow and the cheapness of what they're doing completely shows through.

Clearly they were just hoping to bring back the people who ditched them for passing off the TaylorMade sales flier as the 2014 Hot List:alien:

I see what you did there...

I knew it wouldn't be long before this surfaced I saw reports of this last evening.

Back