Paulina Gretzky on cover of Golf Digest

I think the cover is going to do exactly what they want... Sell magazines. I would say many more people will buy the magazine on a drive by than will actually ever cancel their subscription because of the cover.

The occasional golfer hat never would have given this magazine a look may now actually pick it up and page through it. These same folks may find there is actually good content in the magazine and decide to pick up a subscription.

Either way I never get why people get so up in arms about these things. Sometimes it's a cover sometimes it's an advertisement. If you don't like it then turn the page.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Even that is debatable.

My opinion. Lame attempt to sell magazines. I have a subscription but don't think I'll be renewing. Not because of this cover but because I just don't seem to read them. Have a stack that is probably 12 deep I need to catch up on.

My opinion. Lame attempt to sell magazines. I have a subscription but don't think I'll be renewing. Not because of this cover but because I just don't seem to read them. Have a stack that is probably 12 deep I need to catch up on.

I just recycled a bunch of them and a lot of them looked brand new. I don't think I will be renewing as well.

Hah! After reading some more of the comments it would seem that way. Makes even more sense to me to have them do a cover like this if they can't keep readers with just their content.

That's the real problem I suppose. You have a bad repot with people already as then put out a cover that will not be received well by probably a big group of people. Or at least enough people to make it an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Blair O'Neal would have been a lot better choice for this cover. I think she's a lot better looking and on top of that she's a golfer as well.

Then again there are a number of LPGA players that fit that bill.

Hah! After reading some more of the comments it would seem that way. Makes even more sense to me to have them do a cover like this if they can't keep readers with just their content.

That's the real problem I suppose. You have a bad repot with people already as then put out a cover that will not be received well by probably a big group of people. Or at least enough people to make it an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every issue is loaded with "hit your longest drives ever!" and "straightest iron shots with these 4 simple moves!" It's hogwash.

Yeah I agree her on the cover is stupid. Sure she's hot but not worthy of the cover especially over so many of the real golfers out there.

Every issue is loaded with "hit your longest drives ever!" and "straightest iron shots with these 4 simple moves!" It's hogwash.

No its not. For most golfers, following these instructions will in fact lead to better golf. Its no different than any other kind of marketing. For all the "hatred" that some seem to have for this publication, I cannot for the life of me figure out why.

Do people also hate all other sports magazines? Maybe I am jaded because I have friends that work there, but while I do not agree with many of their lists, as a monthly print publication, I think normally it does a fine job of covering the sport. Sure its not immediate like places such as THP and others and sure I think the reviews here are more in depth and provide more info for golfers, but I guess I just do not understand the "anger" that flares up each mention of their name.

Paulina Gretzky on cover of Golf Digest

No its not. For most golfers, following these instructions will in fact lead to better golf. Its no different than any other kind of marketing. For all the "hatred" that some seem to have for this publication, I cannot for the life of me figure out why.

Do people also hate all other sports magazines? Maybe I am jaded because I have friends that work there, but while I do not agree with many of their lists, as a monthly print publication, I think normally it does a fine job of covering the sport. Sure its not immediate like places such as THP and others and sure I think the reviews here are more in depth and provide more info for golfers, but I guess I just do not understand the "anger" that flares up each mention of their name.

I will say, there are pretty interesting stories and articles about the history of a course or the behind the scenes stuff at a tournament.

I'm surprised that the Arnie and Kate Upton article wasn't mentioned. That was a filler article and a reason to show Kate Upton in a golf skort

Plus, I don't thing showing Paulina Gretzky doing wall squats in hot pants and a sports bra will help anybody golf better as well as showing a LPGA golfer doing golf specific exercises.

This, this right here. I actually like their tips and pros section, I hadn't taken a lot of lessons before but I've subscribed to golf digest for the past few years and a lot of my improvement has been from taking the tips and drills that they have and practicing/playing around with them and seeing if they work for me. I'm definitely a much better golfer than I was two years ago.

I wonder what Paulina's scripting will be for The Master's (tried to steer it back on topic)

It's a business, they are simply trying to sell mag's. I'm not a fan of this direction, but seems to be working for them!

I think Blair O'Neal would have been a lot better choice for this cover. I think she's a lot better looking and on top of that she's a golfer as well.

Then again there are a number of LPGA players that fit that bill.
I didn't recognize the name, but as soon as I saw her pictures, I knew who she was. I knew her as the "LPGA golfer wearing the silver bikini bottom and wedge heels, swinging the Cobra driver". Just imagine if companies and magazines made most of the PGA golfers wear speedo's for their photo shoots, and that's what it seems like what happens with the LPGA'ers. Of course, some of these women tout themselves as "Golfer/Model" (Blair O'Neal certainly does on her website) ... so in a sense they are feeding into the whole problem.

I logically understand the correctness of many of the points people have made about this being a poor choice. But if I'm being honest, the superficial male in me still enjoys having something nice to look at and I'm not especially bothered by the details. I probably haven't evolved enough...

I didn't recognize the name, but as soon as I saw her pictures, I knew who she was. I knew her as the "LPGA golfer wearing the silver bikini bottom and wedge heels, swinging the Cobra driver". Just imagine if companies and magazines made most of the PGA golfers wear speedo's for their photo shoots, and that's what it seems like what happens with the LPGA'ers. Of course, some of these women tout themselves as "Golfer/Model" (Blair O'Neal certainly does on her website) ... so in a sense they are feeding into the whole problem.

Just one thing to clarify. Blair O'Neal is not an LPGA'er.

While I'm far from being any kind of expert, I, never the less, would assume that the magazine's decisions regarding it's covers or any other factor would be tied to their percieved target audience or demographic. I would further assume that their target would be golfer's and not necessarily those that subscribe to Playboy. I'm not sure their thinking, but perhaps, they figured Paulina's relationship to Dustin was a sufficient connection or perhaps, they figured aging hockey players turn to golf. To personally illustrate, I don't play tennis and have no interest in tennis. However, if I saw a tennis magazine with a scantly clad fit young lady on the cover, I would say what a nice cover, but I would not buy the magazine because, again, I have no interest in tennis. In both personal and business decisions, sometimes result in unintended consequencies. Golf Digest may find, that their assumption that such a cover would sell may not be compensated because of the controversy and displeasure created with many in essentially their target audience. However, I think time will heal this, in a few months it will be old news.

I feel like there were plenty of good female pros to put on the cover. At least Saunders worked for TGC. Disappointed, but GD was looking to create some buzz and I guess they succeeded.

This is why I don't read it, no anger, but just doesn't really offer me anything that I don't already get from THP, maybe 3-4 weeks earlier and in my humble opinion better.

Same reason I don't pick up the local newspaper, not because I have any anger or resentment, but it is outdated and irrelevant to me.

Is there a single business owner here who wouldn't jump at the chance to photograph her in front of your business for an ad campaign?

Is there a single business owner here who wouldn't jump at the chance to photograph her in front of your business for an ad campaign?

Yes. Plus size clothing shops for example.

:)

Depends on the business.

I don't care who they put on the cover. Monthly paper magazines are dying breed. I recycled away 8 months worth of unread Golf Digest and Golf Magazine a couple of months ago. They are trying to find a way to stay in business, grow the game, and sell a mag or two. Even digital copies of a monthly mag are just that...Monthly. Monthly equals old to me.

I get the info I'm interested in here, my golfweek app, and a couple other select sources. I used to love magazines growing up, held 5 different monthly subscriptions to car mags in my youth. But it's just not a good way to deliver news now.

Let's just at this for what it is and that's just an attempt to sell some magazines, nothing more.

While I see it as a business just doing what ever it takes to sell their product, I do have a problem with it, mostly the missed opportunity. No doubt there's a hot new player out there in great shape who could really be put on the map by exposure like this. Would it sell as many magazines, I doubt it, but just might help strengthen the tour in a round about way.

Would it sell as many magazines, I doubt it, but just might help strengthen the tour in a round about way.

It's not GD's responsibility to promote the LPGA tour. That is the LPGA's responsibility and they are not very good at it, IMO.

It's not GD's responsibility to promote the LPGA tour. That is the LPGA's responsibility and they are not very good at it, IMO.

but they gain from it's success.

Not a fan but they are trying to sell as many copies as possiable so i guess i understand

Back