Graphite shaft irons distance and accuracy???

toddhale010

Reaction score
Handicap
Ok after posting about looking for new irons and reading some of the suggestions I'm now curious about graphite shafted irons. I currently play G15's 4-SW in steel AWT regular flex and am wanting to upgrade to the G25's or something similar. I'm a short hitter with my irons, 4 iron 160-170 right now in colder weather about 10 yards more in the summer. I'm very comfortable, confident, and accurate with my irons, I don't tend to miss them unless I try to look to quick...lol. I keep hearing that graphite shafts will get me more distance but that graphite shafts aren't as accurate. When I'm hitting into a green I'm not usually pin seeking, anything on the green somewhere close to the pin is good at my level right now so is the accuracy really going to affect me compared to steel shafts? What's typically the distance gain with graphite VS steel?

The person who told you that is wrong and I'd never take any advice they offer going forward.

Graphite design and manufacturing is vastly better than it ever was, and players even won with it on the PGA tour last year. I can't tell you what you may gain, if anything at all, but you will find that graphite is easier on your joints (hands/wrists/elbows) and depending on the individual shaft you may find better trajectory and possibly distance. At your distances, I think it is a great thing to consider looking at.

The person who told you that is wrong and I'd never take any advice they offer going forward.

Graphite design and manufacturing is vastly better than it ever was, and players even won with it on the PGA tour last year. I can't tell you what you may gain, if anything at all, but you will find that graphite is easier on your joints (hands/wrists/elbows) and depending on the individual shaft you may find better trajectory and possibly distance. At your distances, I think it is a great thing to consider looking at.

Like Hawk said I wouldn't expect to see any differences with graphite besides them being lighter and easier on your body. I can't imagine someone saying they are less accurate haha

Like Hawk said I wouldn't expect to see any differences with graphite besides them being lighter and easier on your body. I can't imagine someone saying they are less accurate haha

You wouldn't believe the things I've read on the internet.

Bonjour.jpg

Lol oh I believe you. Same crazy stuff out there.......

I play graphite shafts in my irons and they provide a much tighter dispersion for me.

Some of the new graphite are outstanding in some cases better than steel

These are well said, but I should add that graphite does not always equal lighter. In fact some of the newer graphite is as heavy or heavier than some steel.

These are well said, but I should add that graphite does not always equal lighter. In fact some of the newer graphite is as heavy or heavier than some steel.

Oh no kidding? See I wouldn't have thought that. I just always equated graphite with being lighter. Honest question JB if some of the new graphite shafts are just as heavy, what would be the advantage to using them over steel? Just a different feel kinda thing?

Oh no kidding? See I wouldn't have thought that. I just always equated graphite with being lighter. Honest question JB if some of the new graphite shafts are just as heavy, what would be the advantage to using them over steel? Just a different feel kinda thing?

Feel is very different. Easier on the joints. Some say the ability to alter ball flight (manufacturing) is easier as well.

agree. I hit the Matrix Program shafts at 130 grams. No thanks. Just was heavy.

Interesting. Thanks for the info

I've looked at Pings website and the G25's shafts in steel regular flex are 99g and graphite regular are 74g so that is quite lighter. I've swung graphite shafts in the stores not on a launch monitor but I really like the feel of graphite just had been afraid to try it. I hit my irons pretty good I'm just wanting to go to a little smaller club head and of course possibly gain a few yards with them. I'm assuming the added distance of graphite is mainly due to a lighter club creating a little faster swing is that correct? Considering going to graphite any irons to look at other than the G25's, also how good it the TFC 189 graphite shaft in the G25's?

I didn't find any appreciable distance gain going to graphite. Even high end graphite. What I did find was less vibration and a totally different feel than steel. Wasn't my cup of tea as the feel was too muted for me actually. But I can see that if you have tendinitis or similar, graphite would be the way to go.

I've looked at Pings website and the G25's shafts in steel regular flex are 99g and graphite regular are 74g so that is quite lighter. I've swung graphite shafts in the stores not on a launch monitor but I really like the feel of graphite just had been afraid to try it. I hit my irons pretty good I'm just wanting to go to a little smaller club head and of course possibly gain a few yards with them. I'm assuming the added distance of graphite is mainly due to a lighter club creating a little faster swing is that correct? Considering going to graphite any irons to look at other than the G25's, also how good it the TFC 189 graphite shaft in the G25's?

Lighter may help with distance. Better launch conditions could produce distance (launch/spin) as well. Really though, I think the fact that they are just easier to swing and load helps people with lower SS's. You can tap into the shaft a little more.

Ping's shafts are usually highly regarded, whether that's a factual or internet fallacy I am up in the air on. However, they are a top company and certainly have access to the top components.

I have those shafts in the s55 irons. I think it's a good shaft. Really helped relieve any pain in my forearm that I was having previous to that set. With my set I saw no distance increase, but some of that could be because it's a completely different iron head from what I had.

Graphite shaft irons distance and accuracy???

Yes most stock graphite shafts are lighter than their steel counterpart. But lots of aftermarket shafts are offered for an upgrade fee and are just as heavy as steel.

The feel is different but the results of the swing from a well fitted shaft should be the same(dispersion wise), going lighter may give you a little faster Swing Speed which may add yardage.

I hit JB's lightweight graphites recently as well as another members and they were every bit as accurate and long as my steel shafts.

agree. I hit the Matrix Program shafts at 130 grams. No thanks. Just was heavy.

I mean, that could be fun for people that like the heavier to keep their tempo in check. What'd you get that shaft in?

I mean, that could be fun for people that like the heavier to keep their tempo in check. What'd you get that shaft in?

I hit them at my TMPL fitting. For someone who wants a heavy graphite shaft, that's one to consider. But for me, no thanks. I think weight helps me keep in tempo because one of my problems is getting quick. It's something I'm worried about with the Tour 90's TBH.

Thanks for the quick replies, sounds like there's not much to be gained with the graphite other than feel. I do like the feel in stores of graphite but no way of getting on the course to play a set of them where I live. What about launch, do graphite tend to be higher or lower launch than steel? I don't have any trouble getting the ball up I hit my G15's pretty high even the 4 iron.

Thanks for the quick replies, sounds like there's not much to be gained with the graphite other than feel. I do like the feel in stores of graphite but no way of getting on the course to play a set of them where I live. What about launch, do graphite tend to be higher or lower launch than steel? I don't have any trouble getting the ball up I hit my G15's pretty high even the 4 iron.

Depends on what graphite, the tech and R&D in graphite irons shafts is phenomenal now, they aren't the graphite shafts of old that many automatically associate with high and weak. Take the Recoils, they are designed to play like steel, lower launching and spinning, but with the recoil tech have a better energy transfer, which they do. For someone who wants the benefits of vibration dampening, a wide weight range, and play like steel they are a must look at IMO.

Launch in graphite is just like steel now IMO you want high there is a shaft for you, you want low there is a shaft for that as well.

The options are their it's just matter of research and testing to find what you need/want. A good fitting should put you in the right shaft, this may take a road trip to a facility that has lots of options to get you into the right shaft.

I went to graphites in my Razr XF irons, moderate launch and just as tight a dispersion as my project X steel shafts from my Taylor Made R7 TP's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm getting a set of i20's with their TFC graphite shaft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back