The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's mah Cookie.

I did the same today, part of my range time was working on the new mobicoach thing but I'll talk about there. Actually seeing video of myself did wonders, I knew what I was doing and what my instructor and I are working on, but SEEING it really made what he's been telling me click. I've got to whip this straight right leg, weight on toes thing that forces me OTT, also really need to finish AROUND my body and not hold it off down the line and up (hands way too high). VISUAL HELPS!

Work around the green was nice, I needed that, I've got no confidence in my chipping touch. Putting was also much needed, both for review time and to break some bad habits I've gotten into.

Glad you posted this, I need to continue taking my video camera with me to really know what I'm doing. Thinking we are doing something and doing it are 2 completely different things and I need that confirmation that I'm doing what I should.

Finally today I was able to schedule a couple hours of range time in, the weather has been perfect and everything has pretty much dried out here. I can't flipping wait!

Another day, another range session in the books yesterday, this time irons and wedges only. Started off with punch shots and half-shots and worked my way up to full swings. The new grip still feels a bit weird, but is certainly weaker than the hook-laden grip I was prone to using last season. Still working on alignment and getting out of my bad habit of barely having any knee bend in my back leg...it certainly doesn't help syncing my upper body and lower body in the swing. Had some nice ball striking overall, so I'm hoping that these changes can take hold in my muscle memory sooner rather than later.

Schedule willing, I might be scheduling my first lesson this weekend.

Another day, another range session in the books yesterday, this time irons and wedges only. Started off with punch shots and half-shots and worked my way up to full swings. The new grip still feels a bit weird, but is certainly weaker than the hook-laden grip I was prone to using last season. Still working on alignment and getting out of my bad habit of barely having any knee bend in my back leg...it certainly doesn't help syncing my upper body and lower body in the swing. Had some nice ball striking overall, so I'm hoping that these changes can take hold in my muscle memory sooner rather than later.

Schedule willing, I might be scheduling my first lesson this weekend.

I am really looking forward to your thoughts after the lesson. Sounds like you are seeing some solid results with the changes you have made so far.

It's amazing how much 30 degrees makes a difference in a golf swing. Today I tried a couple different things, first was going a little flatter in the plane and slowly bringing the draw back in to play, it was fun to fool with but it's amazing how quickly a slight draw can turn into a nasty hook, it was fun while it lasted. Second was putting credit cards in the top and bottom of the glove to try and rid myself of the cupped wrist, I hate it and I'll never be happy until I remove it. I have no idea where it came from but I can assure you it will not be sticking around any longer. Over all I was happy with the practice today on the range, afterwards I chipped for an hour around the green with different balls trying to get a gauge on which one is going to give me the best results around the green and it may be the RXS, it feels fantastic but sounds a little hollow lol, I'm probably hearing things. My goal is to go low this summer and anyone that knows me knows that once my mind is made up it will either happen or I will die in the process. #ilovebeingdriven

Doing drills indoor today to try and ingrain the posture at impact

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Finally got out to the range on lunch today! It was really nice seeing my ballflight and movement since tweaking a few things in my first two lessons. I was fighting a weak push/cut/block thing with my irons last year, a result of hanging back a bit and not getting a full turn back or through the ball. I was pleasantly surprised to see a towering draw out of most of my irons today. I'm loving the combo of soft stepping my iron shafts and using a CB head rather than the MB's I was using last year. I'm definitely more comfortable seeing the ball move right to left than I am the other way. I was still stuggling a bit with my full wedge shots but those are the target of my next lesson anyways.

I also hit the putting green for about 15 minutes and finally got to roll my counter-balanced method core mc-11w on some real grass. I love the stability that it provides and was putting a really good stroke on the ball. My 10+ footers were rolling well and my lag putting was about as good as I could have hoped after 5 months off. I struggled a bit with distance control on shorter putts, mainly hitting them too hard. A few more hours on the practice green should solve that no problem. My only complaint is the noise the putter makes when combined with the 20XI from last year. Its got a pretty whimpy "tink" sound that I'm just not used too coming from the odyssey WHP insert in my versa. Something else I'll just have to get more comfortable with after a few hours on the practice green.

First round of the year tomorrow morning, cant wait!

I worked on my takeaway this morning and making sure my upper body was turning as I brought the club back. It was so much easier to get club coming from the inside on the downswing. I need to add this into my daily routine.

Better impact too. Better everything really. It just gets me in the position to hit the ball without having to get too handsy. It's been a real challenge though. Weeks and weeks of the same thing.

For sure, man. Once it clicks, you'll start clobbering the ball. Think about taking a little extra time at the top so everything starts down together. Patience at the top is a big key to making it work at first. Gotta let the energy load transfer.

Worked on chair behind butt drill for about an hour. No hitting balls. Half swings, slow motion, trying to ingrain the feel. Then I hit some balls with 6 iron. Put a mark on the ball with permanent marker (poor man's impact tape) and saw good results
emyta3e3.jpg

That's three balls in the same spot! Feels great and hope to get out to a range later today if work permits to verify ball flight

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Spent an hour and 45 minutes at the range the evening. An hour and 15 minutes working on the things from my lesson yesterday. Stronger grip with left hand already feels more natural. Went back in forth quite a bit between drill and hitting full shots mostly with 8 iron. I can really see where doing the things my instructor wants are going to get me to compress the ball a lot more than I was previously. Hit more good ones than bad ones. Not sure if I should really call them "bad" per say, but more of hitting the ball my old way. Certainly playable shots but I can see where the shots the "new" way are preferable.

30 minutes of putting post range time. Really beginning to connect with my new Rossie. Making more putts 10ft+ than I can remember in a long time.

I only had a little time today, so I went out front and worked on 7:30 shots with my 60 degree wedge. My stroke was getting more consistent, and the distance was showing. Accepting the distance I get out of that swing is part of the battle, and I'll get there with more practice. It's great what kind of work you can get in with just a half hour of time.

Really hitting the putting green. I seem incapable of getting the ball into the hole between 3 and 12 feet! Was hoping the new putter would kick start my putting. It hasn't. And now I'm starting to lose confidence in the putter. It's depressing!

Played 9 today, first 9 since getting a walking membership, WHOO!

Was so-so, still trying to "throw" the club a bit and the fact that I'm keeping my knee bend now and my weight is better exposes that more, going to have to really work on the transition, the bump, and letting the club find the slot. But, I'll get there.

After the round hit the range for about 50 balls, 15 8i working on killing that OTT, the rest from 100 and in with the SC100. Talked to my pro a bit, then hit the green for 20. Was a good day. We have another lesson this next week, think the Doc and I are going to play this weekend, and I'll be doing range work, green work, or playing in a variety of combos from now on 4-5 days a week.

I'm extremely happy and motivated, my swing isn't there yet, but it will be, I believe that in my heart.

The THP Range/Practice Thread

Had my third lesson this morning and I was happy to see that my takeaway and keeping the shaft of the club pointed down my target line is engrained. I also noted that I am have achieved the position we were shooting for, however I still need to work on releasing the club at impact. Club path is much better than it was a month and a half ago, however my club face is still right of my path, leading to those hits right. We both talked about how this will be the most difficult change to become comfortable with. (I can say that during the last few weeks while out on the course that most of my frustration is driven by this fact.). So we talked about some additional drills to get that release transition engrained.

Next we worked on improving my angle of attack. We noticed later in the lesson that I started getting almost in the double digits (-) which was impacting my ball striking. The drill we focused on to correct this was placing a broken tee about 2-3 inches in front of the ball. The goal was to clear that tee out of the hitting zone. After 1-2 attempts my attack angle was -3.5 with a club head speed of 87.2 mph and a ball speed of 117 with a 6i. He stated that's where he wanted me at.

Last but he mentioned I had Greg Norman foot work which made me laugh as he was my favorite golfer back in the day. He said basically I transfer my weight off my back foot so well.

Closing thoughts basically has me focusing on a few other things then we can start working with my driver. Excited to what the next few weeks hold. Changes aren't going to happen overnight. I understand that completely. Sorry for the long winded account.

http://youtu.be/kGmNP3gUiXo

after doing the chair behind butt drill and hitting balls into the net, i had opportunity to go to the range. hit a large bucket. went up and down the bag starting with pw and up to 5 iron, then few hybrids and few drivers. had some beautifully struck balls and some shanks. when i dont get the left hip pulled off the line properly, i am too close to the ball at impact testing the hosel forgiveness... when the left hip is pulled off properly, left leg straighter rather than bent knee and sliding through, and i focus on leading the start of the downswing on my right arm with my elbow as if throwing a sidearm baseball pitch, i am able to clear the body, strike the ball crisply and release the club properly. end result is a beautiful ball flight penetrating straight toward intended target. i am still fighting my tendencies that i have ingrained in the past and trying to produce new muscle memory with proper technique. it will take time and a lot of reps but i feel that i am progressing correctly to where i want my swing to be

Man did I have a lightbulb moment today with path. It's somewhat hard to explain but the analogy of "skipping a rock on a pond" is what did it for me. That swing thought has completely transformed my path and gives me a repeatable feeling of how the hands should be slotting correctly.

Man did I have a lightbulb moment today with path. It's somewhat hard to explain but the analogy of "skipping a rock on a pond" is what did it for me. That swing thought has completely transformed my path and gives me a repeatable feeling of how the hands should be slotting correctly.

That's awesome Brad. I'm going to give that a try as I have been battling ott lately myself.

That's great Brad, it's amazing sometimes how simple something is when it happens and how difficult it is to remember it the next time out lol. Keep going buddy your prep is awesome!

I'm glad you found something that clicks buddy... I throw left handed and play golf right handed...so I was confused at first lol.

I actually got outside today to practice my putting, which is exciting in and of itself. I'm working on developing a pre-shot routine, which is something that I haven't ever had before, but based on some tips we got from Adams, I want to start. So far, I'm finding quite a bit more success using it, and my misses are near makes and leave short come backs. I'm struggling with the pace on the green, but it might be because it was a winter green at a muni course, and might be playing a bit slower than the greens I'm used to and the birdie ball in the basement. Either way, I was quite pleased with the results, but still have a long way to go.

Took the wife to the range to get her started with basic swing and putting. I also started working on the techniques in the Dave Stockton Unconsicous Putting book.

Sorry if this goes a little long but I wanted to share about my extended practice session today. I was on the range at 8 am this morning as I had 3 hours slotted for practice today. My game plan was to do an hour of full swing, an hour of chipping and an hour of putting. There happened to be a big tournament at the course I was so I found a small spot on the range and went to work. After my first bucket of balls which was a progression of short clubs hitting three types of shots at each target and then moving to the next club. As I was hitting a couple of guys came over to watch me and strike up conversation. As we talked I found out that one guy was the club champion and the other was the pro. I had a chance to talk to them about why I was practicing and got to share about THP

As I went through my second bucket which was spent on long irons, a couple of drivers and then a variety of punch shots and extreme shots (big draws, fades and some low balls) the guys kept talking and gave me some thoughts on what I'm working towards.

The pro was so impressed that he asked if he could go grab his clubs and let me watch him. I then got to spend my next 45 giving an unexpected lesson and then that is when all of this hit me..... GOLF IS FUN AGAIN. I have always had fun with golf and it's a passion but I've had many a days where the fire wasn't there and I was just out there because it's what I know. To see someone else smile after I fixed him up was so gratifying and rewarding. I felt like Panda 2.0

Anyways after the lesson was done the club champion also asked for some advice and I got him straightened out with some wedge issues. I never got to chip or putt but that was ok because this game has given me so much and it's fun to repay the favor occasionally. The pro asked for my contact info and he was going to talk to the GM to see if I could use their facilities and play at a discount rate.

This was truly the best practice session I have had in many years

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

This is great Kyle. I love hearing you say golf is fun again. You are working so hard to get you game where you want it to be that it has felt like you are pressing a little too hard. No make sure you focus on the chipping and putting next time :)

Awesome to hear Kyle. Panda 2.0 I like it. Always feels good when u can give back and the game feels FUN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back