Paulina Gretzky on cover of Golf Digest

And where did I say there was? When you continue to post them, just saying the same thing over and over is my issue. I remember a certain golfer who was the king of the tabloids for a while, it's not as if she has nothing to do with golf whatoever.

I understand that you might be annoyed with how others are choosing to discuss this topic, but there are things you can do to avoid that. You can choose to ignore those posts or you can just move on to a different topic. There are thousands of topics/conversations going on within THP. I just don't think bashing other members is the most productive way to respond.

To each their own though.

On topic though - There are literally hundreds of golfers that could have been used for their "fitness" issue of Golf Digest. The fact that they chose Paulina proves to me that they were trying to almost go for a shock factor more than anything. I think it's a pretty far stretch for the explanation they gave in the Golf Channel article.

I dont think everybody would agree with that. Nothing wrong with your opinion, but not everybody wants "hot chicks" on their golf covers. Some dont care one way or the other. Others perhaps think that the LPGA has attractive women. Others still might describe Gretzky as a "hot chick". Some find it even more odd that she has her dad's # tattooed near her crotch. Lots of things are just opinions and not everybody is going to agree with them.

#thisguy

Men like sexy women, so sexy women go on magazine covers to (try to) sell more magazines. It's the same damn reason Fabio goes on those women's novels. We're all pretty shallow. Move on.

Seems LPGA Tour Commissioner is not too happy with the choice either

Men like sexy women, so sexy women go on magazine covers to (try to) sell more magazines. It's the same damn reason Fabio goes on those women's novels. We're all pretty shallow. Move on.

Maybe they should only put models on every cover. That would obviously be better than PGA Tour stars and legends such as Palmer, etc right? Every issue. And maybe lose the travel and equipment sections and add centerfolds. Only models though, because LPGAers wont work.

Its an interesting move.
So many LPGA girls work hard on fitness and this would have been a good spot.
So many fitness people work inside the golf industry and would have been good for this.
So many PGA Tour professionals take fitness seriously and would have been good for this.

Instead they chose a "celebrity" and I view it no differently than putting Paris Hilton on the front of NFL.com when she was dating a player. Something that the NFL would never do. Its a weak splash for attention and while I have some great friends that work there, something like this I find "interesting" to say the least.

Quoting this as I am just seeing the thread, but this had an immediate impact..

When I heard about this, I'll admit I laughed a bit. PG has had all kinds of interesting media attention, so selecting her for the cover seems like a strange decision from the get-go. That said, she merits a reaction from most people, so maybe golf digest is accomplishing exactly what they hoped to. Talk about golf, talk about PG, but also talk about Golf Digest.

I see this an awful lot like I see the hot list;

Does it adequately represent the game of golf and those partaking in it? The jury is still out.
Does it cause reaction? Methinks yeah it does.

I'm not necessarily arguing with you on this point.

But then the question becomes, why her? Why not Sandra Gal, or Paula Creamer...surely someone at Golf Digest knows how to get ahold of Anna Rawson. If they're really hung up on having fit, attractive people on the cover of their annual fitness edition, and they're really insistent that the fit attractive people be females, I don't see why they can't have female golfers rather than someone whose only attachment to golf is dating a PGA member.

But then the question becomes, why her? Why not Sandra Gal, or Paula Creamer...surely someone at Golf Digest knows how to get ahold of Anna Rawson. If they're really hung up on having fit, attractive people on the cover of their annual fitness edition, and they're really insistent that the fit attractive people be females, I don't see why they can't have female golfers rather than someone whose only attachment to golf is dating a PGA member.

This was my point all along. Or even a fitness professional. There are tons that work with golfers. Heck Tiger's personal trainer in Orlando was a fairly attractive young blond woman that worked with him daily at the gym. GG worked out right next to them.

I understand them putting her on there, but don't agree with it. I think the reasoning they have given is weak sauce. There are plenty of fit lpga golfers or prospective lpga golfers they could have chosen. They chose her due to her celebrity and the weak tie to golf due to her being with DJ, I believe. Good or bad, they've gotten people talking about the issue and more people are probably checking it out than normal due to the controversy. Marketing department is probably pretty darn happy with themselves. Will it help golf, or long term readership...heck no. of course that's all my opinion/observation.

I looked for Paulina's butt... checked the golfdigest.com photo shoot multiple times... couldn't find it

But did you buy the magazine?

How do you know that these ladies were not asked? Perhaps they were asked and declined.

I think this is insulting to the women in the golf community. While I'm all for seeing Pauline Gretzky half naked (yea I'm a pig), the women of golf should really be insulted. She has no weight in the golf community other than her boyfriend. This should have been another fitness issue like last year with Holly Sonders. Displaying the true women athletes of the game and their greatness.

Seems LPGA Tour Commissioner is not too happy with the choice either

I would think he would happy to not have any of the LPGA stars objectified on the cover of a magazine

I would think he would happy to not have any of the LPGA stars objectified on the cover of a magazine

Are you serious? Have you seen those pathetic glamor shot looks they have for their major this week. They're doing all they can to bring some sex appeal to those girls.

I understand that you might be annoyed with how others are choosing to discuss this topic, but there are things you can do to avoid that. You can choose to ignore those posts or you can just move on to a different topic. There are thousands of topics/conversations going on within THP. I just don't think bashing other members is the most productive way to respond.

To each their own though.

On topic though - There are literally hundreds of golfers that could have been used for their "fitness" issue of Golf Digest. The fact that they chose Paulina proves to me that they were trying to almost go for a shock factor more than anything. I think it's a pretty far stretch for the explanation they gave in the Golf Channel article.

So because the majority (in this thread only) think it is bad i should move on? How is it bashing? I have hardly resorted to name calling, I have no need, your posts speak for themselves.

I'm hardly annoyed, I'm amused and saddened at the same time that people want to jump up and down over something so trivial and irrelevant. Perhaps you should channel this resentment to something useful. I can think of many many issues that warrant some attention over who is on the cover of a golf magazine.

Are you serious? Have you seen those pathetic glamor shot looks they have for their major this week. They're doing all they can to bring some sex appeal to those girls.
I would think the LPGA wants there woman to be seen as Serious Athletes and Glamorous woman and not just as sex objects

I'm hardly annoyed, I'm amused and saddened at the same time that people want to jump up and down over something so trivial and irrelevant. Perhaps you should channel this resentment to something useful. I can think of many many issues that warrant some attention over who is on the cover of a golf magazine.
Ah this tired old argument. Quick! Everyone get off THP and find a fix for world hunger!

How do you know that these ladies were not asked? Perhaps they were asked and declined.

I'm not, though I can't imagine an LPGA member would actively avoid raising their profile.

"Would you like to be on the cover of Golf Digest for the fitness issue?"

"No, thanks, being on the largest golf magazine's cover seems like the sort of thing that would be bad for my career. I greatly prefer being seen on Tuesday afternoons on the Golf Channel as my sole public exposure."

Ah this tired old argument. Quick! Everyone get off THP and find a fix for world hunger!

If you think bashing a golf magazine for having an attractive and fit woman on their cover is a big deal, that speaks volumes. And not in a positive way.

I'm not, though I can't imagine an LPGA member would actively avoid raising their profile.

"Would you like to be on the cover of Golf Digest for the fitness issue?"

"No, thanks, being on the largest golf magazine's cover seems like the sort of thing that would be bad for my career. I greatly prefer being seen on Tuesday afternoons on the Golf Channel as my sole public exposure."

I can immediately think of a multiple major winner who would want no part of raising her profile (not a criticism, just pointing out that there is at least one)

If you think bashing a golf magazine for having an attractive and fit woman on their cover is a big deal, that speaks volumes. And not in a positive way.
NEWSFLASH! We are on a golfing forum, talking about golfing issues. If this upsets you, there is a button labeled "Log Out" in the upper right hand corner. Bye bye.

Otherwise, get over yourself. Honestly, do it. People will like you, dogs will come to you to be petted, birds will alight on your shoulder, and the sun will shine down on you wherever you may tread -- even indoors!

Your ad hominem is boring, recycled, and worn out. If you're going to employ it, at least mix it up a bit.

Paulina Gretzky on cover of Golf Digest

Not worth it.

I don't think the general argument is against them having an attractive, fit woman on the cover. I think it's more having one that has nearly no connection to golf when there are plenty of attractive, fit women golfers that could have, and most likely would have if asked, done it.

Meh, I get GD because of a free subscription, I find it lacking in most aspects anyways. I prefer Golfweek personally. It has about the same number of articles once you pull out of the BS from GD and actually articles I find more interesting. But I am sure GD has a place in the mag world with the casual golfer, etc.

Back