Cleveland 588 Altitude Hybrid Irons Preview

I had graphite shafted irons years ago, and it was very difficult with the light shafts to get the correct feel. It made me want to try and hit the ball harder. Graphite shafts now come in heavier weights. I might very well consider heavier graphite shafts to make it easier on my old hands and joints. The steel shafts in the Altitudes are 85 grams, and that's not a real heavy shaft IMO.

I had graphite shafted irons years ago, and it was very difficult with the light shafts to get the correct feel. It made me want to try and hit the ball harder. Graphite shafts now come in heavier weights. I might very well consider heavier graphite shafts to make it easier on my old hands and joints. The steel shafts in the Altitudes are 85 grams, and that's not a real heavy shaft IMO.
Not at all, which is my only hesitation. Comparatively though, the stock graphite Altitude shaft is 55 grams, so there is additional weight when comparing the two stock options.

To those that went with Steel shafts, do any of you second guess that decision? Wish you had gone graphite instead??

I have DG S300 in 3-6 and no, I do not regret it. Most accurate I have ever been 3-6 iron. To be fair, I haven't tried the graphites, but based on my experience with other clubs, I can't help but think I'd see more hooks. I assume those light graphites would be longer, but that trade off wouldn't be worth it for me.

If someone would like to sponsor me for testing on Aerotech Steelfiber i80s, just let me know!!! :D

I just grabbed a 58* Smart Sole wedge to add to my arsenal...found em on ebay brand new for $79 with free shipping...if this one works out I will look at adding the 42* C wedge

Got some numbers today on the 4i today, comparing against hybrids. Looks like it's going to be a solid 200-210 club for me without having to push too hard.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I just grabbed a 58* Smart Sole wedge to add to my arsenal...found em on ebay brand new for $79 with free shipping...if this one works out I will look at adding the 42* C wedge

I've been reading some good stuff about those Smart Sole wedges. I'm looking forward to your take on them Tim. :thumb:

Got some numbers today on the 4i today, comparing against hybrids. Looks like it's going to be a solid 200-210 club for me without having to push too hard.

Boom goes BamBoo :bomb:

I just bought the 4 and 5 iron. I can't wait to get these on the course!!!

Really appreciate the feedback you guys have given me on the steel shafts question.

Just waiting on a confirmation, to say that I have purchased a set of my own. Fingers crossed.

I have both, just a hint play them both back in your stance as in behind centre and swing easy and you will never hit another fat or thin shot again around the greens, I have droped 9 strokes in six months since using them.

Having the altitudes and the smart sole wedges has me so excited about lowering my handicap.

1st full year in the bag with both clubs, and I'm optimistic the clubs will help me get to a 13 handi.

These were so damn money for me today. Setup 3 birdies within 10 feet.

So easy to hit with amazing forgiveness. I was a moron to ever take these out of the bag. Playing the CTL's in them now and they are a really good match for me.

I wonder how these would perform with a set of i-95's in them?

So many great choices for SGI irons, the only problem is that I can't use my Kahma bag with the hybrid irons. It may be worth getting a different bag though.

I went to Dicks today seriously expecting to walk out with a hybrid of some sort, but now I'm really thinking of going with the,, 3 Altitude. Matter of fact I'm thinking of going 3-S. And then maybe the smart sole s.

These were so damn money for me today. Setup 3 birdies within 10 feet.

So easy to hit with amazing forgiveness. I was a moron to ever take these out of the bag. Playing the CTL's in them now and they are a really good match for me.
I need to read this like I need a hole in the head.

Glad they are really working for you.

I went to Dicks today seriously expecting to walk out with a hybrid of some sort, but now I'm really thinking of going with the,, 3 Altitude. Matter of fact I'm thinking of going 3-S. And then maybe the smart sole s.

Isn't there still an altitude 3 in the market place with a c kua shaft in it, which is a fantastic shaft by the way......

Isn't there still an altitude 3 in the market place with a c kua shaft in it, which is a fantastic shaft by the way......
Was not aware of that, thanks. forget to check there sometimes, like an idiot.

Was not aware of that, thanks. forget to check there sometimes, like an idiot.
Orange Hog had a 3,4, and 5 iron for sale. I bought the 4and 5, so he does have the 3 iron left.

Just sent him a pm

Ponder to purchased in 0.002

Having the altitudes and the smart sole wedges has me so excited about lowering my handicap.

1st full year in the bag with both clubs, and I'm optimistic the clubs will help me get to a 13 handi.

You might want to think about getting the DW also thats a fairly big gap from the PW to Smart Sole S.

I never thought I would say this, but I am actually beginning to like the looks of these clubs. Well, except maybe the plain black portion. Would have been cool if they would have put some sort of badge on there or something.

Altitude sickness?

Just ordered the D wedge, no brainer there. Now I'm wondering about the rest of the wedge setup. Pondering a smart sole S wedge which may fit in great with these I think, but that is 58*. Pretty big gap between 49 and 58 degrees. I'm thinking about getting the altitude S wedge at 54*, but also thinking of MT, or TT at 54* and any other 54:10 blade style wedge in that spot for versatility.

I know the decision is ultimately up to me, but I'd appreciate anyone's thought on the subject.

I never thought I would say this, but I am actually beginning to like the looks of these clubs. Well, except maybe the plain black portion. Would have been cool if they would have put some sort of badge on there or something.

Altitude sickness?

Yeah I think white with the Cleveland Golf logo in black or navy blue, I reckon you could get a sticker made up to fit straight over it.

Yeah I think white with the Cleveland Golf logo in black or navy blue, I reckon you could get a sticker made up to fit straight over it.

I thought about a sticker too. The Cleveland logo you mentioned would be nice, or something like K.I.S.S for reminder.

Back