Ball per 80ish Swing Speed?

Song Dog

Reaction score
Handicap
I toss and toss the idea and many different choices for a ball that fits my swing speed. I dont want to break the bank and I dont want to waste money and have all kinds of different kinds of balls laying around.
If you all have good experience with my SS and a balls, I will love to hear it and any suggestions.

I'm around 90 and I like the E5, you might want to try the Brdigestone E6 and it's only $27 a dozen. Comes in yellow and orange too.

Lots of great options. Check out the Wilson DUO and Bridgestone e6 or Callaway Supersoft without a doubt.
If you want to try something with a urethane cover (more spin), check out the Bridgestone B330-RX and Callaway SR1

I toss and toss the idea and many different choices for a ball that fits my swing speed. I dont want to break the bank and I dont want to waste money and have all kinds of different kinds of balls laying around.
If you all have good experience with my SS and a balls, I will love to hear it and any suggestions.

I have a swing speed of mid 80's and use the Callaway Supersoft the Wilson Duo is also good for that swing speed but I find the Supersoft just a bit longer and prefer to putt with it over the Duo and they both won't break the bank.

Lady Precept
Q-Star
e5

A few of my favorites, I'm around 90 with driver and find these offer a great combination of distance and stopping ability on greens. Wilson Duo's are a nice option also.

Qstar is a great option. Picking up some Super Softs tonight as well.

Q Star gets my vote but there are many fantastic options out there

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm around 90 and I like the E5, you might want to try the Brdigestone E6 and it's only $27 a dozen. Comes in yellow and orange too.

I'm right around 90 as well and I love the e6 and I'm getting ready to give the Callaway X2 Hot ball a try as well this spring.

Lady Precept
Q-Star
e5

A few of my favorites, I'm around 90 with driver and find these offer a great combination of distance and stopping ability on greens. Wilson Duo's are a nice option also.

Completely forgot Q-Star. Great option as well.

I'm right around 90 as well and I love the e6 and I'm getting ready to give the Callaway X2 Hot ball a try as well this spring.

I use the Supersoft and was given a sleeve of X Hot's to try and they were pretty good but not as good as the Supersoft for me. But one thing I noticed when I done the bounce test with them they were not far behind the Supersoft and better than the Wilson Duo, so I'm guessing they must be a soft compression also.

Wonder if there is a difference between the Strata Jet and the Callaway Super Soft?

Wonder if there is a difference between the Strata Jet and the Callaway Super Soft?

There is in multiple ways.
Both dimple pattern and compression.

Interesting since I just did a Titleist ball fitting today and I asked him about this swing speed fitting. He said that fitting for driver speed makes no sense because you swing at all different speeds throughout the round. Fit the ball for your short game not your drives.

-A pro's 6iron swing speed is the same as some amateur driver speeds and the ball works fine.

Interesting since I just did a Titleist ball fitting today and I asked him about this swing speed fitting. He said that fitting for driver speed makes no sense because you swing at all different speeds throughout the round. Fit the ball for your short game not your drives.

-A pro's 6iron swing speed is the same as some amateur driver speeds and the ball works fine.

That is their philosophy. Quite a few companies disagree with that philosophy and due actual fittings showing the data on a launch monitor.

Tee shots aside, we're all swinging 50mph for a 50yrd shot. That's what convinced me the short game fitting is what matters. I want as much spin as possible for trouble shots.

But I agree there's always more than one way to look at any problem.

I vote e6 or Q star. Both fantastic balls

Tee shots aside, we're all swinging 50mph for a 50yrd shot. That's what convinced me the short game fitting is what matters. I want as much spin as possible for trouble shots.

But I agree there's always more than one way to look at any problem.

Except one thing. Almost all urethane covered balls spin the same (with in a few hundred rpms)(generalization). So if that is the the only difference is the most violent impact shot in the game.

Except one thing. Almost all urethane covered balls spin the same (with in a few hundred rpms)(generalization). So if that is the the only difference is the most violent impact shot in the game.

So would a Supersoft with a urethane cover be the ultimate ball for me with my mid 80's swing speed or would it suffer from more side spin off the tee.

So would a Supersoft with a urethane cover be the ultimate ball for me with my mid 80's swing speed or would it suffer from more side spin off the tee.

Perhaps. And if so, you would love the SR1.

Agreed with JB about the sr1.

The e5 seems like a good choice at as far as non-tour balls go

+1 on the SR1. Expensive but good distance, spin and trajectory for my 86 mph SS. Just flat performs.

My dad is in this speed range and he loves the supersoft. He has not had a problem holding the greens even our winter Texas greens either.

Last edited:

Ok thanks for that I used the Hex Chrome before the Supersoft and it was good but not as good as the Supersoft for distance and straightness.

Lots of helpful stuff here. I was going to arrange a ball fitting at the same place where i just bought my new x2 hot driver. I wonder what their results will recommend at my 90 swing speed.
i do like a ball to fee soft and sweet off the face and like a bit of spin for control.
maybe I should look at the SR1 or one of those bridgestones...

My swing speed is right 90. I used the Callaway Super soft for the first time yesterday. It felt great coming off the driver an irons. Give it a try if you get a chance.

Back