How To: The Poor Man's Guide to Reshafting Irons

Take the ferrules and let them sit in a dish of hot water. It will soften them up.

JM

Don't forget to check and re-check depth of the shaft into hosel when setting ferrule too!

JM

Or you can just put the head on and whack the butt end of the shaft in the ground a couple times. They'll go on.

Or you can just put the head on and whack the butt end of the shaft in the ground a couple times. They'll go on.

I prefer this method. Violence and clubmaking often go hand in hand after a while.

As far as I could get mine below and used the head to go the rest of the way
IMG_20130520_183858_842_zpsbc626801.jpg

IMG_20130520_183932_682_zps8b14c754.jpg

Measure, measure, measure, it will ensure a good fully seated fit.

IMG_20130520_184012_890_zps00994a55.jpg

IMG_20130520_184047_082_zps56d786db.jpg

I'm about to do this soon too..

So, putting a 3i shaft into a 4i etc, is soft stepping?

Yep, you got it.

I'm going to wait and finish mine up tomorrow morning, I believe that I have everything that I need now and have received some great advice from all of you. It has been a good learning experience for sure and helped to open my eyes as to what kind of work I can do myself.

Thanks Hawk, I thought it would of been the other way round..

Recently did my first re shafting and I must say it was satisfying. Played 18 and none of the heads flew off so I did alright :)

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Recently did my first re shafting and I must say it was satisfying. Played 18 and none of the heads flew off so I did alright :)

Wtg! I told you it wasnt that hard!

Wtg! I told you it wasnt that hard!

Thanks for all your help aaron! You helped me out a bunch :)

Thanks for all your help aaron! You helped me out a bunch :)

No problem buddy, just stay away from the belt sander.

Lmao that was idiotic for sure.

Nah just beginner move. You know now and you will be a machine before you know it. Easy, fun, but can make tinkering expensive!

I've just done my first full set of irons.

Picked up a set of TT Black Gold's and only planned on switching out the 6i to try but got carried away. The full set is now curing :)

I was just trying to pull a graphite shaft from a head (don't care about the shaft) but looks like I twisted and ultimately separated the graphite shaft at the end of the hosel.

What's the best way to get the rest of the shaft out? Drill out with a bit?

Oh poor you. That is a huge pain. Yea, drill it, but it's going to be work. The heat seems to make the graphite harder.

Crap. Yeah...it was pretty hard. Graphite sucks.

I was just trying to pull a graphite shaft from a head (don't care about the shaft) but looks like I twisted and ultimately separated the graphite shaft at the end of the hosel.

Should have called me!

I used a small screw driver and scraped / dug it out.

Oh poor you. That is a huge pain. Yea, drill it, but it's going to be work. The heat seems to make the graphite harder.

That sucks I would have thought heat might break down the graphite more and let it come out easier. That's unfortunate

I know this is for reshafting but is building clubs with new shafts and heads about the same process?

I know this is for reshafting but is building clubs with new shafts and heads about the same process?

Yes its identical

If you still need assistance let me know, I have the bore out bits for broken shafts from golf works to get the hosel cleaned out. You can also drill it out if you have the right bits--the kit is just three different sizes of boring bits to go from small to large getting a bit out at a time.

Back