THP TV - Bridgestone True Balance Putters

Agree with Kang here. I had written down in my notes from the call that there were two different grip sizes, but I am now thinking that might be a reference to the TD-02 with the double bend steel shaft. The grip on that one is smaller since it is standard.

JM

Do the steel shaft versions have the different grip size?

Yeah that has to be it. I rolled both versions of the true balance again today at PGA store for an hour. Still struggling with the light weight. Gotta be my stroke

Interesting that guys are struggling with the weight for a putter that should be tough to decelerate. I really need to roll one of these for myself.

For me I just felt I needed to swing harder the first time because it feels so light in the grip and shaft. Definitely is a different feel when picking it up.

Yeah that has to be it. I rolled both versions of the true balance again today at PGA store for an hour. Still struggling with the light weight. Gotta be my stroke

Man, I must have just missed you! Rolled them again today as well while getting my lie adjusted. Still looking for that 02, didn't see it just the 01 and 03.

Great thoughts JM, and have to agree with you after getting a few different rolls with them. These are interesting and enjoyable, very accurate.

Interesting that guys are struggling with the weight for a putter that should be tough to decelerate. I really need to roll one of these for myself.

Its sort of difficult to explain. While the weight is concentrated at the head, this is still a very lite putter. I just weighed these and here are the numbers:

1. True Balance with stock grip - 420 grams.

2. Seemore Corona Del Mar with insert and SS 1.0 - 543 grams.

3. Scotty Cameron Newport Select with Golf Pride Grip - 533 grams.

Its lite, that's all there is to it. Before I started using the SPI Method, I was a very "wristy" putter. I messed around with that stroke on this putter and had difficulty. Using a true shoulder rock, the high MOI takes over and that's where this putter really shines. It's similar to a pendulum I guess. The closer you can get to a true arc like that the more beneficial the aspects of this putter are and the harder it is to decelerate. That's what I've found anyway....

JM

Man, I must have just missed you! Rolled them again today as well while getting my lie adjusted. Still looking for that 02, didn't see it just the 01 and 03.

Great thoughts JM, and have to agree with you after getting a few different rolls with them. These are interesting and enjoyable, very accurate.

Thanks Doug. Can you throw out some thoughts on your experience? I mean, even though you were in the store for another reason, could you see yourself getting comfortable with the adjust,ENT to the grip, weight etc.? I want people to hear that while these attributes are different, it's a somewhat natural transition and not terribly foreign.

JM

Thanks for all the info, John. I can't wait to get my hands on one of these.

I'm just flat out excited about this thing. Have put about 200 strokes on it today out in the garage. Anything between 2 and 12 feet. Really learning to trust the gate effect and my stroke with it. When I do, this baby is deadly.

JM

Rolled these yesterday, shocked at the ease of dropping them or just getting close. Can tell when your off the center insert, but still pretty accurate on those mishits.

The longer putts were sick at how easy it was to get it close, dropped a few as well. The grip feels odd, but could get used to it. A bit bigger than my 2.0, but not by much. I think a lot of people will do well with them if they can get over the different feeling of a putter they've used before. Not as easy to set up without the RST, but will be rolling them again.

They only had the DT-01 and DT-03 at the PGASS when I was there. Rolled both of them, and the 01 was a better feel (don't get along to well with blade type). They seemed to have the same size grip, but honestly didn't pay that much attention. If there are going to be two sizes, not sure which one I was rolling with. Did feel a bit bigger than a SS 2.0 and not as big as a 3, but it wasn't round like the SS either.

The grip is part of the counter/counter and would probably offset some of their tech and set up I would think. One big thing I noticed besides the grip was the shaft...so light with the graphite.

They wanted to stand up by themselves, but the PGASS had security wraps on the shafts so they wouldn't quite stand on their own.

IMO, if someone walks into to a store and grabs one of these off the shelf, they have a high percentage of putting it right back down and walking away. Who does that right? I mean if I'm checking out putters, I will roll it regardless of the first feel. What I meant by that is the shaft weight is so light and that grip so different, then you look at the price tag and double check. A lot of people equate weight with quality, sometimes? The street shopper won't understand what they've done with these. They did have tags that explained them, but hadn't put them on the putters yet. Hopefully they will get noticed and then really have people intrigued to roll it...then watch out.

One other thing I might say, is that if you hold your putter in your lifeline and not in your fingers, I don't think you will get all of the awesome feeling it can provide. I honestly was taken back by how easily it was to find, or get near the hole with these. Really wanting to find the DT-02 and give that a spin, or maybe not...seriously took me by surprise these did.

When I first grabbed them out of the basket (yep they hadn't even put them on the floor yet), I was almost nervous about crushing the grip. You'll understand when you pick one up...odd is really all I could think of to describe it. Almost a feeling that durability could be a concern going in and out of the bag...but my tennis shoes hold up to me punishing them every day right?

Thanks Doug. Can you throw out some thoughts on your experience? I mean, even though you were in the store for another reason, could you see yourself getting comfortable with the adjust,ENT to the grip, weight etc.? I want people to hear that while these attributes are different, it's a somewhat natural transition and not terribly foreign.

JM

Ha, still stand by my first comments on these, truly enjoyable and accurate. IMO, keeping the grip out of your lifeline will do wonders and you touched on it with the SPi method and no thumbs. I can feel more of the gate when I have it nestled in my fingers and not "palming" it if you will.

I don't think it would take too long for anyone to get comfortable with this one, yes it's very different but in a good way I think. The grip, well...eventually and it's not really that bad I guess. Just different coming from a SS and getting used to the taper and not being oval. The big piece for me was the audible difference from striking the ball anywhere but the center. The speed is different too when struck high, low or off the heal or toe.

The longer putts really need to be smoothed out there and make sure center contact is made, the ball gets going true and quicker when you do.

JB, you got serious skills ! Good interview. That is the first I have seen. Really good job.

Be sure to check out all the THP TV vids on the homepage, we got some awesome stuff from the PGA Show this year.

In regards to the grip size, I also recall 2 sizes of grips, and found this on GolfDiscount.com

True Balance is designed with an incredibly light 35 gram graphite shaft and a bright yellow 20 gram large or 10 gram small 100% EVA foam grip so that more weight is added in the club head to promote a square face at impact.

As far as the length, I believe I read that it is only offered in 34", does anyone else recall seeing that, or JM can you confirm the length of your putter?

Doug, man I never saw those! Sorry and great write up. Where the heck have I been?

(Edit) I missed the post from the 2nd. :alien: At least you quoted yourself and didnt write it again :act-up: Thanks man!

JM

In regards to the grip size, I also recall 2 sizes of grips, and found this on GolfDiscount.com

As far as the length, I believe I read that it is only offered in 34", does anyone else recall seeing that, or JM can you confirm the length of your putter?[/FONT][/COLOR]

Interesting. I would like to try one of the smaller ones for sure, just to compare.

JM

Its sort of difficult to explain. While the weight is concentrated at the head, this is still a very lite putter. I just weighed these and here are the numbers:

1. True Balance with stock grip - 420 grams.

2. Seemore Corona Del Mar with insert and SS 1.0 - 543 grams.

3. Scotty Cameron Newport Select with Golf Pride Grip - 533 grams.

Its lite, that's all there is to it. Before I started using the SPI Method, I was a very "wristy" putter. I messed around with that stroke on this putter and had difficulty. Using a true shoulder rock, the high MOI takes over and that's where this putter really shines. It's similar to a pendulum I guess. The closer you can get to a true arc like that the more beneficial the aspects of this putter are and the harder it is to decelerate. That's what I've found anyway....

JM

Thanks JM, a lot of good info here. I want to try this thing out in a bad way.

Haven't been able to find these locally yet, but did find some info on eBay with photos of the large and standard grips along with sizes and lengths from 33" to 36"

Model Bridgestone True Balance TD-03
atb-butt_zps79d1c04a.jpg
Includes TD-03 Putter - 33 Inch - Standard Grip - & Matching Headcover
Dexterity Right Handed
Shaft Lightweight Graphite
Grip Descriptions The EVA grip is a Superlight grip which is integral to the overall technology story. A very soft texture and mild taper from end to end combine to allow your hands to naturally position themselves correctly offering an incredible bond.
Grip Specs Standard Grip = Dimension 1.00" x 1.25" <> Weight approx. 11 grams
Large Grip = Dimension 1.25" x 1.50" <> Weight approx. 23 grams
Condition NEW, in original factory packaging

aTB-Large-Grip_zpsb6fed1f0.jpg

aTB-Small-Grip_zpsd123ccc7.jpg

Thanks for the pic. Based on this, it looks like most of the ones I've seen on Ebay are the large size.

Haven't been able to find these locally yet, but did find some info on eBay with photos of the large and standard grips along with sizes and lengths from 33" to 36"

ModelBridgestone True Balance TD-03
atb-butt_zps79d1c04a.jpg
IncludesTD-03 Putter - 33 Inch - Standard Grip - & Matching Headcover
DexterityRight Handed
ShaftLightweight Graphite
Grip DescriptionsThe EVA grip is a Superlight grip which is integral to the overall technology story. A very soft texture and mild taper from end to end combine to allow your hands to naturally position themselves correctly offering an incredible bond.
Grip SpecsStandard Grip = Dimension 1.00" x 1.25" <> Weight approx. 11 grams
Large Grip = Dimension 1.25" x 1.50" <> Weight approx. 23 grams
ConditionNEW, in original factory packaging

aTB-Large-Grip_zpsb6fed1f0.jpg

aTB-Small-Grip_zpsd123ccc7.jpg

I have the large size, but sure would like to see if I can get my hands on the smaller one just to see the difference.

JM

Tried these out over the weekend and just couldnt get a good feel for it. It seems that you either hit a dud off the clubface or it comes rocketing off.

Anyone else gotten their hands on one of these? I'm traveling this week and miss practicing with mine.

JM

Anyone else gotten their hands on one of these? I'm traveling this week and miss practicing with mine.

JM

I rolled these last night. Very very different than other putters. You could really feel the head heavy feel of the putter. Almost felt like the grip and shaft weren't even there. The grip was very light and almost felt like foam. It would take some getting use to but really intriguing to say the least. Can't wait to see who ends up with these come July!

5C133265-EFD9-4A1D-A1C5-DD65D5011AFA_zps8ohogil8.jpg

Great pic Nate. Glad to see some of the standard sized grips there too!

I havent yet been able to find anyone in my area that has these putters. Id love to game a Bridgestone putter but with how different these are, Im really hesitant to buy one without being able to try it first.

I rolled these last night. Very very different than other putters. You could really feel the head heavy feel of the putter. Almost felt like the grip and shaft weren't even there. The grip was very light and almost felt like foam. It would take some getting use to but really intriguing to say the least. Can't wait to see who ends up with these come July!

5C133265-EFD9-4A1D-A1C5-DD65D5011AFA_zps8ohogil8.jpg
That is an amazing point of sale.

Back