My #JourneytoBetter...Nothing like Hawk's

adamw238

Reaction score
Handicap
I was inspired by Hawk's video yesterday and decided to start documenting my #journeytobetter. I didn't want to do the same thing as Hawk because frankly, any attempt by me to do anything remotely as amazing as that would be an insult that masterpiece. So, I'm taking a different approach and will let everyone join in my daily effort to become the best golfer I can.

A little background:
My #jouirneytobetter started well before I was an active THPer. I have been golfing for 24 years and love the game. For the last 2 years I have been trying to develop a golf swing that creates desirable results. A swing I could control....something that was mine. This all came about after a second back surgery that resulted in the fusion of L4-L5 and L5-S1. A lot of things happened after that surgery. I lost a lot of articulation in my back and hips. I was now and inch and a half taller. Most of all, my body could not tolerate the swing I had. There was a lot of coiling and unloading that wasn't possible because of the hardware in my back. I played one round after my surgery and it was like I had never swung a club.

A full fall, winter, and spring of rehab had me back in shape and the summer of 2012 I started taking lessons for the first time in 20 years. That year I went from an 18 down to a 12.4. It wasn't pretty, but I was able to knock it around and minimize my misses. The winter of 2012-2013 I decided I would continue my work and play simulator golf. I took lessons here and there, but nothing consistent. What happened was the worst possible thing. My swing went from something passable to a sin against mankind. My backswing was flatter than Kuchar's and my release started at my armpits. I had a 5 way miss; fat, thin, left, right and a shank. Things were bleak...

Spring 2013 had me back taking lessons and playing every week. I practiced about 5 hours week and was hoping for improvements. Only the opposite happened. I had a golf swing that was a mix of ugly and improving that resulted in bad scores on the course. I could go to the range and hit every shot I wanted, but on the course I didn't trust my swing at all. It didn't help that it was competitive golf. Albeit, with friends but still competitive. All summer I fought my swing (as you'll see in my Youtube videos).

Finally in August I said enough was enough. I went to my instructor and told him that I wanted to tear my swing down and build it from scratch. We were trying to patch a boat that had no sense being on the water. And that is exactly what we set about doing. He and I sat down and laid out a game plan that would have me playing good golf in April and better golf June through November. So a journey began.

September and October saw great improvements. On the course I stopped caring about my scores and focused on getting better. I lost a lot of money to my friends, but that wasn't my focus. In November I had my, "A-HA" moment and started generating lag and getting my lower body really involved. The ball sounded 100% better at impact and my LM numbers showed an increase in distance and tighter dispersion. What happened next would turn my golfing world upside down.

In November I started becoming an active member on this site. I kept seeing contests for this thing called The Morgan Cup. I watched the videos and thought, "Wow! This would be something that I could really see myself getting involved in." But I didn't see that happening this year. There were still spots open but I still wasn't sure about entering for a spot. Then a perfect contest showed up. Tweet to @cobragolf about why you should represent them in the Morgan Cup. I saw what everyone was posting and took a chance and entered with, "I've got more passion than Poulter and more swagger than Fowler. Strike like a Cobra, pounce like a Puma." Honestly I felt like I didn't stand a chance. There were some FANTASTIC submissions. A couple of days after Christmas I was in a pub with a friend of mine I only see once a year watching Liverpool lose to Chelsea. The game had just ended and my phone buzzed with a message from JB. I had been picked?! Words can't describe how I felt. I texted my instructor and he replied, "We've got a lot of work to do then." Since then our goal of being good by April and better the rest of the year became, great in April and unbelievable by July. I became more motivated than ever to improve.

What now?
So, here we are just under 4 months to the Morgan Cup and I'm happy to say that everyday my swing gets better and better. More importantly, I've got a great team that support one another every step of the way. We never have to question dedication because we all want IT. As I stated in the beginning I've posted all of my lessons in the past year to let the community enjoy and see what hard work and total dedication can get you.

In my last lesson my instructor and I worked in eliminating the reverse lag in my backswing (something we did to loosen up my wrists and allowed me to learn lag). We also focused on keeping my hands inside of the club head. On Friday I finally hit balls outside and was blown away. So was one of my regular playing partners. What used to be a crap shoot when my ball left the club had now become a beautiful natural high push draw. Last night I played an indoor round and saw even more distance (about 5 yards). For those of you who followed me in the Apex thread.....there were no 188 9i :bulgy-eyes: My handicap is currently a 16 but I was able to get my indoor handicap down to a 3.1 . My first test on the course will be this weekend with Donne and Jeremiah of THE Team Hackers.

All of my lessons are dated so you can see how I got to where I am. Everyday I will post what I worked on and how things continue to progress.

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy watching as much as 've enjoyed doing it.

Youtube Link

Good luck to you. Back surgery here too,, glad we both didn't give up.. Keep at it

Adam, I'm not sure how I'd be able to play golf if I couldn't turn the way I do. My lower body/upper body connection is hardwired courtesy of almost 20 years of training punching and kicking. The idea of golf without that movement sounds ruinous to me. Mad respect for the willingness to scrap your swing and start over. Looking forward to hearing more of your improvements and getting on the course with you and the rest of Team Hackers.

That's a great story and will check out the vids when I can get to a different machine tonight. Good luck dude! Have some fun this weekend with your teammates.

Great read! I'll be following your continued journey as you get ready for The Morgan Cup!

Adam, I'm really looking forward to our round on Sunday and seeing this rebuilt swing in action. Thanks for taking the time to share all of that with the forum.

Adam, I'm really looking forward to our round on Sunday and seeing this rebuilt swing in action. Thanks for taking the time to share all of that with the forum.

Let's be honest here, Donne. You just want to see this in person

eqe6u6y3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for taking the time to tell your story Adam, well done!

Keep up the good work Adam!!! Fairways and Greens brother!

Looks like the weather is going to stop me from getting outside to hit balls today. Another couple of hours working in the simulator today. Really going to put the focus on shots 75 yards in as they were giving me a big problem the other day. I still have a tendency to get flippy when hitting these shots.

Lesson scheduled tomorrow morning, so there will be a larger update with a video.

#thejourneyneverends

My #JourneytoBetter...Nothing like Hawk's

This deserve a bump, a lot to be learned here

Great day today! The goal of the lesson today was to focus on my game 75 yards in and turned into a whole lot more.

The Problem with my pitching
For as long as I can remember I've always had a hard time playing 75 yards and in. My worst shots happen in this prime scoring zone. Pulls, shanks and thin shots are the usually results and it's extremely frustrating to hit a great drive and then ruin it with a horrible pitch shot. What I learned today is that I was closing the face way too much as well as coming over the top. I would try to save the shot and sometimes I did, but most times I hit one of the shots mentioned above.

The Solution
My instructor had me open up the club face at address and then try to keep the back of my hand from facing the ground at impacts. He then had me change how open the club was and the aggressiveness of my downswing to determine distance. By doing this it keeps me from having to control distance by altering my back swing.

The end result is the second half of the video.

After working on my pitching I brought up how I've been hitting a trap draw as my miss, and asked if my closing the club face too much at impact was causing this. Not surprising, but it was. So I went about working on trying to get rid of a little of the bow in my wrist. What happened next was a HUGE break through for me. I realized that by controlling my hand and wrist position I could control shot shape more. So I went over the LM and started hitting these beautiful cut 7 iron shots. Then I decided to try and hit a draw by closing down at impact and BAM! A nice high draw. Then I tried to just hit a ball straight by finding the middle ground and I hit a shot that followed the center line all the way down.

Really excited about this week as I get to play with adwillingham and GolferBest, and put some of this to use!

Thanks for reading!

[video=youtube_share;kwHBg-nYUZQ]http://youtu.be/kwHBg-nYUZQ[/video]

Edit: I forgot to mention that my head has started to move forward during my back swing. This is left over from early in the process where I was really stacking the left side. I have to remember to stay behind the ball a little more.

Hey all! Sorry, it's been a couple of days since I updated everyone. I'm in a training course this week that requires 10 hour days. After staring a computer screen for 10 hours, the last thing I want to do is stare it some more .

When I last updated everyone I was getting ready to go play with fellow Team Hackers adwillingham and Golfer Best at Cherokee Run just east of Atlanta. I didn't go in with super high expectations. It was my first time hitting off of grass....or mud, first 18 hole round of the season with new people, new clubs and a new swing. My goal wasn't to break a certain number, but to make shots, begin trusting my swing on the course, minimize three putts, and most of all have fun.

I met up with Donne and Jeremiah on the range and hit about 30 balls. It was enough to get me loose, but not enough to really enough to get me in a groove. I hit some great shots on the range, but nothing consistent enough to give me any confidence going in. I then spent about 10 minutes on the putting green. I had NEVER putted on Bermuda grass and it was much different than the Bent Grass and Rye that I play back home. Putts were a lot faster, but I was able to adjust pretty quickly and was really comfortable with my putting game going in. Off to the tee we went!

My first tee shot was something that I was not overly impressed with. I hit the ball low on the face and sent a worm burner down the middle of the fairway. Not the start I was looking for, but at least it was in the fairway. The rest of this hole would be repeated over the next 8. Drive in the fairway and then a thin second shot which was followed by a thin pitch or two and a two putt. I knew exactly what I was doing wrong. I wasn't trusting my swing and was worrying about scoring, not getting better. Because of that, I was releasing the club way early, wasn't using my lower body and just all around taking bad swings. But, my putting was really good. Nto one three putt on the front 9. So, I had that going for me.

I made the turn at +Infinity. At the turn I had a conversation with myself and basically said, "F my score, let's just use the swing and hit some shots." And that's what I went about doing on the back nine. I started doing some of the things that I had been practicing all winter. While it wasn't the case 100% of the time, I was at least making better contact. As the round was reaching the end, I felt like I was just getting started.

So, what did I learn? All the hitting indoors on mats is ok, but nothing can match hitting off of grass and feeling the club interact with the turf. There is still a TON of work to be done and lots of rounds to play before I'm marbles in with this swing in a playing situation. I'm even more motivated to get back home and get outside and start playing! Match that with the AMAZING videos the Cleveland/Srixon guys are doing, and you've got yourself one eager golfer. While I've been in training (and will be all week) and haven't been able to get to a local range I have still been practicing putting in my room. I will have some time tomorrow and plan on spending a couple of hours at the range. I really want to go play but I feel like I need to get things back in order on the practice range before hitting the course again. If were able to go to the range tonight I would definitely play tomorrow evening....but I'm having dinner with the CIO tonight.

Huge thanks to Donne and Jeremiah for going way out of their way to meet with me and play. We had a blast even though we played some pretty bad golf. And KUDOS to the entire Cleveland/Srixon guys! Your videos are absolutely amazing. Everyone of them is inspiring and motivating.

My next update should be Wednesday night after the range.

Thanks for reading!

Hey all! Sorry, it's been a couple of days since I updated everyone. I'm in a training course this week that requires 10 hour days. After staring a computer screen for 10 hours, the last thing I want to do is stare it some more .

When I last updated everyone I was getting ready to go play with fellow Team Hackers adwillingham and Golfer Best at Cherokee Run just east of Atlanta. I didn't go in with super high expectations. It was my first time hitting off of grass....or mud, first 18 hole round of the season with new people, new clubs and a new swing. My goal wasn't to break a certain number, but to make shots, begin trusting my swing on the course, minimize three putts, and most of all have fun.

I met up with Donne and Jeremiah on the range and hit about 30 balls. It was enough to get me loose, but not enough to really enough to get me in a groove. I hit some great shots on the range, but nothing consistent enough to give me any confidence going in. I then spent about 10 minutes on the putting green. I had NEVER putted on Bermuda grass and it was much different than the Bent Grass and Rye that I play back home. Putts were a lot faster, but I was able to adjust pretty quickly and was really comfortable with my putting game going in. Off to the tee we went!

My first tee shot was something that I was not overly impressed with. I hit the ball low on the face and sent a worm burner down the middle of the fairway. Not the start I was looking for, but at least it was in the fairway. The rest of this hole would be repeated over the next 8. Drive in the fairway and then a thin second shot which was followed by a thin pitch or two and a two putt. I knew exactly what I was doing wrong. I wasn't trusting my swing and was worrying about scoring, not getting better. Because of that, I was releasing the club way early, wasn't using my lower body and just all around taking bad swings. But, my putting was really good. Nto one three putt on the front 9. So, I had that going for me.

I made the turn at +Infinity. At the turn I had a conversation with myself and basically said, "F my score, let's just use the swing and hit some shots." And that's what I went about doing on the back nine. I started doing some of the things that I had been practicing all winter. While it wasn't the case 100% of the time, I was at least making better contact. As the round was reaching the end, I felt like I was just getting started.

So, what did I learn? All the hitting indoors on mats is ok, but nothing can match hitting off of grass and feeling the club interact with the turf. There is still a TON of work to be done and lots of rounds to play before I'm marbles in with this swing in a playing situation. I'm even more motivated to get back home and get outside and start playing! Match that with the AMAZING videos the Cleveland/Srixon guys are doing, and you've got yourself one eager golfer. While I've been in training (and will be all week) and haven't been able to get to a local range I have still been practicing putting in my room. I will have some time tomorrow and plan on spending a couple of hours at the range. I really want to go play but I feel like I need to get things back in order on the practice range before hitting the course again. If were able to go to the range tonight I would definitely play tomorrow evening....but I'm having dinner with the CIO tonight.

Huge thanks to Donne and Jeremiah for going way out of their way to meet with me and play. We had a blast even though we played some pretty bad golf. And KUDOS to the entire Cleveland/Srixon guys! Your videos are absolutely amazing. Everyone of them is inspiring and motivating.

My next update should be Wednesday night after the range.

Thanks for reading!

In reality it wasnt that bad of a round. Granted the scorecard was a little higher than we all inticipated, but that was a challenging course. A lot of distances off the tee that had to be right and not knowing the course was rough.

After the turn you played some pretty solid golf. Driving well, your shortgame was completely better and even your putting got better.

You'll be ready by July, I have no doubt my friend.

Hey all! Back from ATL now and lots to talk about.

Yesterday I went for a lesson to try and fix whatever went wrong last Sunday. I told my instructor about how the round went and how frustrated I was by the amount of thin shots I hit and spoiled drives I had. He took a couple of looks at my swing and immediately spotted the problem(s). At the top of my swing my left wrist was extremely cupped. This was a result of my grip pressure being way too tight. I was also not turning my hands over at the bottom and was leaving the club face way open which explained the cut. I did a dozen or so L-L drills and we headed over to the launch monitor and he had me start hitting shots. The challenge was to start the ball 3 yards to the right and draw it back to the middle. Well, the good news is that I wasn't hitting a cut anymore... I was now hitting a hook. After a few shots I was able to control my release a little better and started hitting a nice baby draw. He then stepped it up a notch and told me that I had a tree in my way and needed to hit a 20 yard hook to get around it. Challenge Accepted! I went on to hit 5 shots that did exactly that.

Next was the driver. I used what we had just talked about and was hitting baby draw bombs. I rarely carry the ball over 265, even in the LM, but I was hitting massive shots that were carrying 285 to 290. I left the lesson feeling great and ready to play today.

8:10 couldn't come soon enough this morning. I got to the course about 20 minutes before our tee time (there's no range where we played today) and checked in only to find out that everything was delayed because of frost. This gave me some time to hit shots into the nets and at least get really warmed up. We finally hit the tee box an hour later. My front 9 was one to forget. I grinded out a 48 that could have been a lot worse had it not been for my putting. I hit more than half of the fairways and the ones I did miss weren't by much. But I was getting tense over my approach shots again.

After 8 I sent an update to Team Hackers and got some awesome words of encouragement. I went to par 9 which was a challenging par 5. The back 9 on this course is really challenging. I've seen 2hcps shoot 49. Ten started out with a pushed drive into the water, but I ended up getting away with a bogey. I scored par on 11 and had 4 consecutive one putts after that. I ended up shooting 45 on the back but felt a lot better about my game. I looked back at the scorecard and had 4 holes that I was +10 on, and they were all mental. The best part is that I was putting extremely well. My friends couldn't believe that it was me who was putting because of how poorly I did last year.

It was my second time out this year and I saw marked improvement from the week before. The weather is supposed to be better this week, so I should be able to get outside a few times before the weekend.

Thanks for reading!

Well done Adam! :clapp: I love hearing how you over came a physical issue and found a way to work yourself back into playing shape. Sic em partner!

Thanks Gray. It's been a battle but I feel like I'm getting there. Y friends were honestly blown away at my short game. Everything is really close. I just have to get through the opening month. Upper Midwest golf is a pain in the butt when you sit for 5 months.

Looks like my b.f.a.m is getting his game face on for July. Love following yiur progress keep it up

Hey Everyone!

It's been about a week since my last update. A lot has happened since then, so we'll jump right into it.

In talking with my instructor, he suggested I try a lighter flex shaft in my driver to try and give me a little bit more feel. So I went out and got a 569 Speeder and popped it in the Alpha. I was able to get out to the range last Tuesday and went through 2 large buckets of balls working on holding wrist hinge and rotating my hips instead of sliding them. I always save the driver for last and was really anxious to see how this was going to work out. I had messed around with an R flex in the R1 I borrowed for a few days and liked it, so I was hoping for similar results. And boy did I get results! I could feel the club head throughout the entire swing and didn't feel like I had to work as hard to load the shaft up. I hit a few snap hooks, but didn't hit anything that would have been unplayable in a normal round.

On Friday I went for my normal weekly lesson. I told my instructor about my round the previous week and what I experienced on the range. He said he had some thoughts on what we could do to eliminate the ugly thin miss. He showed me a video of the swing from the previous week and pointed out how my head still moves forward a couple of inches on my takeaway. So what he had me to was get rid of the little head turn I had before I started and also had me transfer more weight to the front leg. It's a little stack and tilt ideology, and I do like some of the concepts with that swing. After taking swings at 50% we ramped up to 80% and I immediately noticed the difference in how I wasn't hitting any worm burners and no FAT shots. We then went over to the LM to take a look at how the R flex shaft was performing. I ended up hitting the ball extremely well and was pretty consistent. Club head speed had increased 5 MPH and my ball speed was up quite a bit as well. All of the impact was in the center of the face, which wasn't happening with the Kyoshi White. It was decided that I had a winner.

After that lesson I had ANOTHER lesson for my SeeMore putter fitting. I wasn't sure what to expect when I got there, but boy was I blown away. I documented the entire experience in another thread and will focus on the lesson portion of it. Jim (my SeeMore fitter/coach) took some shots of me with my 7i and then with my putter.

medium_img.jpg

What he was looking for was to see if my address was the same with my putter as it was with my irons. He also noted that that both are athletic stances where I'm bending at the knees. Another point he made was my eye line with my putter. It was a little too far over the ball. With my Scotty, that is because the putter is 35" and I needed a 36". We spent a lot of time working on alignment and address. Making sure my feet were perpendicular to the target line was a huge part of it. He then had me do work in the Perfect Putting Machine which absolutely is amazing. I was able to lock my putter in and practice the same stroke over and over. After 20 we took the putter out of the harness and putter using the guides. My stroke was so much smoother. I left feeling like I was in better shape than I when I arrived.

On Sunday I played 18 with my usual group of friends. I was really excited to get out there and play. We played at Ruffled Feathers which is the only Pete Dye course in the Chicagoland area. It's always a challenging track. I started of playing pretty well. Basically playing bogey golf with a par mixed in here and there. That was until #7 when the wheels fell of the wagon. I started getting too confident and began to hit shots that I should not have been hitting. The result was triple, double, double, double over the next four holes. I didn't hit bad shots, but instead of being conservative I took a lot of unnecessary risks.

At the end of the round I limped away with a 97. On the bright side, only 34 putts. And that was with three 3-putts. I had a few puts that just missed and did drop one from 25ft for birdie. I looked at a round I played the same time last year and had 39. So, there was definitely a silver lining and a lot of lessons learned. If I don't play stupid golf, I won't shoot stupid scores.

Today I'm working from home and get up every ten minutes to work with my Perfect Putting Machine on my Birdie Ball green. While yesterday was frustrating, I'm chomping at the bit to get out again this week and start putting it all together. I feel so close. I need more rounds and less range time to start trusting everything. The weather is supposed to be alright heading into the weekend, so I'm hoping to get out Friday to play.

Thanks for reading and comments are always welcome

Keep plugging away brother...I know you'll have things rolling by July.

Peaks and Valleys Adam. That's what this journey is all about. One day you think you've got something figured out and the next it is gone! I love the prep you are putting in man.

Peaks and Valleys Adam. That's what this journey is all about. One day you think you've got something figured out and the next it is gone! I love the prep you are putting in man.

That's exactly it man. The great thing is that I'm seeing results and my regular playing partners are really noticing it. I had a comment on how much better my putting stroke was yesterday. It's a matter of staying the course even when a storm hits. I feel that my next time out is going to be so much better. I haven't been playing mid-week rounds but I'm going to start this week weather permitting. I've also registered for 2 amateur tournaments. First one is 4/26 and the second is in June. I might find a couple others to play in between.

Thanks everyone for your support.

It's about the journey, and the journey's not just the steps you like. Keep digging, man, you'll get there.

It's about the journey, and the journey's not just the steps you like. Keep digging, man, you'll get there.

100% true. I know you're on a journey/mission as well as it's great to see you making progress

Back