Odyssey V-Line Tank Cruiser - THP Preview

BTW, on course with it now :alien:

Putted with a Cruiser #7 today at demo days very nice putter solid putter weight was great heavy head easy to get rolling and keep straight

If this was centre shaft i can quite confidently say I would never buy another putter! Still going to get one of these, however! Aweome thread that I will follow with very keen interest!

I'm going to get this out of the way now so I can focus on the putter design and the CB tech from here on in, the insert is really damn good. There is a reason it gets the play it does on the tour, its evident to me each time I come back to using the WHP insert. Fast greens, slow greens, doesn't matter. LOW muted sound leads to a very plush feel at impact and a very pure roll.

That's out of the way, so, I got out for 9 and some putting green time with this one today. The headshape is nice, very similar overall shape to the putter I was finishing up review time on when this one arrived today. The weights are going to be a lot of fun to tinker with as time goes on for this one, I played with the 30g in the grip and the 20g's in the head and it was insanely well balanced and felt like it wanted to complete the stroke on its own. Alignment with the head is simple with 3 lines in the flange and it sets up nice behind the ball and the topline is wide enough to really let you sense if you are square at setup or not. Lastly the grip is fantastic, but I'm a SS guy.

More as I get more time with it of course. If you have q's please don't hesitate to ask.

Great looking putter James. Look forward to hearing more of your thoughts on this. I played with WHP putters exclusively for many years. Loved the feel of them. I think a heavy WHP would be a good putter.

Loving the thoughts on the putter, James. The adjustability in this design is quite genius, and I look forward to your tinkering adventure and what you end up with. I agree that leaving it shy of 400 in the head might leave some people out, but still a lot of options.

With the dual weights in the head, what would happen to the stroke if they didn't match (one at one weight, and the other at another)? Not sure that's a good idea, but if people consistently miss one way or the other, could this help that similar to weights in a driver?

This thread is just getting me more and more interested in this putter.

April 11 cannot get here fast enough. I need to roll this thing!

With the dual weights in the head, what would happen to the stroke if they didn't match (one at one weight, and the other at another)? Not sure that's a good idea, but if people consistently miss one way or the other, could this help that similar to weights in a driver?

I am not James but I did test this with my MXM putters and I just didn't see that happen. Maybe it's because of the slow stroke or how short is but I didn't see a difference with different weights in the toe and heel.

Where I could see the different weights maybe is if you tend to miss on the heel or toe. Having a heavier weight may give you a little more pace on the mishit and help with distance control.

This one looks amazing! Very interested in what Callaway is doing with the adjustable CB putters.

Curious about the SS grip. What size does that come in? Comparable to the 2.0 or a bit larger?

Its the same as the 2.0 as width and circumference goes, very nice.

Loving the thoughts on the putter, James. The adjustability in this design is quite genius, and I look forward to your tinkering adventure and what you end up with. I agree that leaving it shy of 400 in the head might leave some people out, but still a lot of options.

I am not James but I did test this with my MXM putters and I just didn't see that happen. Maybe it's because of the slow stroke or how short is but I didn't see a difference with different weights in the toe and heel.

Where I could see the different weights maybe is if you tend to miss on the heel or toe. Having a heavier weight may give you a little more pace on the mishit and help with distance control.

I'll go with these two at the same time here, walking on the wild side I know. :alien:

As for the 400g thing, what you have to remember is that if you drop the weight in the grip of the putter and set the head to 385g is will bump the swingweight up and feel much heavier to most than 385, its all about the SW in the end.

As to the weights, while you won't see changes in forgiveness and such across the face, what you can see is an alteration of the arc of the putter through the stroke, ie you can weight it so that the toe releases more and increases the overall arc of the stroke (opens more and closes more) or you can switch the weighting and sort of decrease that tendency for the toe to rotate through the stroke leading to much less arc. The changes aren't going to be massive as the inherent natural weight of the putter will still dictate much of that as will the offset and shaft. Though this wouldn't necessarily help a miss, it could be more fit to specific strokes which could keep you more "on-line" to your intended line.

Odyssey V-Line Tank Cruiser - THP Preview

As soon as these hit my local store I'm gonna put this up against the Ketsch, whose sole shape looks very similar. I'm thinking that this insert is the exact feel that I'm missing with my MXM Tank.

As soon as these hit my local store I'm gonna put this up against the Ketsch, whose sole shape looks very similar. I'm thinking that this insert is the exact feel that I'm missing with my MXM Tank.

Being that I've got both in the bag right now for review, I agree that the overall shapes are very very similar. Obviously the overall flange setup differs, but the baseline headshape is really close.

Did some drill work on the Tour Links this afternoon and this was the weapon of choice to get to know it a little more.

The 2.0 size on the 15" SS was a good choice, incredibly solid in the hands. Tinkered with the backweight to headweight a good bit, the heaviest in each is really nice right now for my stroke, amazing the difference in the hands of the headweight though when I put the 15g or the 0g in the grip. Its a nice full mallet design, its a good shape that sets up well and the trio of lines in the flange is nice to the eye as well.

Oh wow that is a great looking putter.

I may have missed it but what is the rod bit at the front of the weight box?

I may have missed it but what is the rod bit at the front of the weight box?

It's the 30g weight for the grip, comes with a 15g in the putter to start.

Very nice looking putter. I'm not really a mallet guy, but this counter-balance thing has me wondering is the instability I tend to feel at the top of my putter stroke just before the downswing might be offset by the heavier weight in the grip? Only messed around with CB putters a couple of times. Odyssey seems to be very interested in making this work. Going to be very interested in your thoughts on this one, J-Man.

It's so awesome the SS has TANK on it!

Love the head shape! Cant wait to hear more feedback on this club!

Will be out and about to gather more thoughts on this one today, I'm quite eager too I might add.

Been rolling this one a good bit lately indoors and out and the entire setup is extremely solid, I've been a big fan of the science behind counter-balance putter for sometime but this just takes it all to another place IMHO. Tinkering with the various weights and the impact they play on the overall feel through the stroke has been interesting to say the least, as I expected I seem to roll it best at max weight on both ends but it is interesting to try all the various options.

The V-Line is just a solid all around mallet headhsape, its not super flashy, but its balanced and that is huge in a mallet.

And the insert, well, I really don't need to say much about that.

I would really like to get to roll the other 3 models, I'm extremely curious, especially about the #7.

Talk about wow factor. I like the ability to adjust the weights at both ends. Design isn't over the top and like the shape of the putter head.

Have you had the opportunity to test lag putting yet with this one? If so is be curious to see how the performance with different weight set up effect distance and speed control.

Great write up so far.

Talk about wow factor. I like the ability to adjust the weights at both ends. Design isn't over the top and like the shape of the putter head.

Have you had the opportunity to test lag putting yet with this one? If so is be curious to see how the performance with different weight set up effect distance and speed control.

Great write up so far.

Yep, have worked on long distance lags with it a good bit. To me, you still have to utilize the same stroke you would with a standard putter, much like the guys in the Tank thread are talking about you can't expect the weight to get it there alone, additionally the dampened sound off of the WHP takes some acclimatization from long range but when you commit to the stroke and finish your stroke its shown very nice accuracy thus far both in aim and overall distance.

Yep, have worked on long distance lags with it a good bit. To me, you still have to utilize the same stroke you would with a standard putter, much like the guys in the Tank thread are talking about you can't expect the weight to get it there alone, additionally the dampened sound off of the WHP takes some acclimatization from long range but when you commit to the stroke and finish your stroke its shown very nice accuracy thus far both in aim and overall distance.

That is exactly what I am seeing with the Spider Si testing. Albeit if you don't trust the stroke the weight isn't going to get it there for you.

How are miss hits off center from long distance?

Back