How do you drop shots during a round?

The last couple of rounds for me it's been my short game. I've kept the ball in play off of the tee, and haven't been missing greens by much. I just haven't been able to get up and down from there. A few 3 putts, but that's only 2 or 3 strokes a round.

My driver and irons are the problems right now. Either straight or a slice off the tee that puts me in bad spots, or left taking penalty strokes. My iron consistency is getting a little better, but I need to improve my ball striking so I stop hitting thin shots.

For me it is usually a few bad decisions in terms of being aggresive and putting too much stress on my short game. Working on getting my short game where it needs to be to avoid this because I am pretty solid everywhere else

Generally, its missing too many greens then failing to get up and down. My updown percentage is abysmal. Been working hard on it the last few days.

Off the tee and short game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The ones that stand out:

• Chunking chips
  • Pulls off the tee
  • Leaving the ball in the sand or barely getting out

My game is a bit all over. I used to lose most of my strokes on poorly struck 2nd shots as well as mental mistakes around the greens (chunks/flubs). That was my story for several years. I've taken the chunks/flubs out of my game and vastly improved my middle iron play (2 Birdies and 5 pars on 9 Par 3's in my last 2 rounds) but now I am having a lot of trouble making good contact off of the tee. Not a lot of lost balls but definitely a lot of balls being played 20-40 yards short of where I normally am and from the right rough.

I drop my most shots in my short game, it's something I know I need to work on and do, I just need to keep up on it all.

My short game. It's one thing to yank one off the tee and find myself needing to punch out back into the fairway. But taking a good drive and a solid approach, then chipping to 2-putt range is murdering my momentum. A few more positions where I chip to tap-in range, or avoid a meltdown within 30 yards, whether it's bunkers or chipping/pitching poorly, and my handicap looks radically different.

OB off the Tee!

An arm's length out at shoulder high
rimshot-o-2.gif

I know, I know. Usually from trouble off of the tee and then either taking a drop because of the shot or putting myself back in play with a punch out.

I lose most of my shots when I try to do something "cute" within the short game - such as hitting a flop shot when a simple pitch shot would suffice.

I lose the most strokes in the short game (on/around the greens, including putting), second would probably be tee shots when I'm having a bad day off the tee. My irons ate generally consistent enough to at least have a chance to get up and down - problem is I flounder it away around the green. Working on it though, and seeing some improvement.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

I play a Par 31 course. So for me it's most tee shots. Driver is rarely on line, and the longer irons I hit into the 210+ yard par 3s (which we have a lot of) typically leave 20+ yards away from the green.

~Rock

Not capitalizing on great tee shots with scoring irons.

Still ironing out the driver this early in the season, but last season accuracy wasn't the issue with it. Having longer approaches than optimal was an issue at times. As were the approach shots themselves. I lose my strokes in the long game and make up for them with the short game.

Mostly from penalties and shots from just off the green.

I gain the most shots when my putting is on.

Lately it's my chipping /pitching. I'm currently having a problem in trusting my swing/fear that I will hit the ball too far. For example: 12 feet to the green with 3 feet to the pin = 3 strokes to just make the fringe. I'm really not sure what started that mental block but I'm so ready to get past it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

From best to worst, my short game. Last outing I bladed and shanked everything. Driver and woods became my strength, and my winter practice regimen has so far paid off.

How do you drop shots during a round?

Duffing chips and missing putts does it for me!

I drop strokes when trying to be too aggressive. Instead of laying up or even clubbing up I'll try to kill the ball and frequently end up in trouble. Gotta dial back and swing easy

Not hitting enough GIR and giving myself makeable putts. Too many 12 to 20 footers for me.

I think most of my dropped shots or missed opportunities are caused by inaccurate approach shots. There are too many times when I put the drive in the fairway and then end up trying to get up and down for par, instead of putting for bird.

As I have stated in my signature, it is the three putts that get me at some point in my round.

I can't hit a green to save my life. Partly due to swing changes, but I'm having to chip-up the majority of holes I play. Frustrating.

Back