Cleveland 588 Altitude Hybrid Irons Preview

Just ordered the D wedge, no brainer there. Now I'm wondering about the rest of the wedge setup. Pondering a smart sole S wedge which may fit in great with these I think, but that is 58*. Pretty big gap between 49 and 58 degrees. I'm thinking about getting the altitude S wedge at 54*, but also thinking of MT, or TT at 54* and any other 54:10 blade style wedge in that spot for versatility.

I know the decision is ultimately up to me, but I'd appreciate anyone's thought on the subject.

I go from my gap wedge to the 58* smart sole I still have my X Hot SW and LW that come with my irons and had the SW in the bag but I found I wasn't using it I always reached for the 58* smart sole and can hit it far better. I'm thinking about getting a Altitude 4 iron it might fill the gap between my X Hot 22* Hybrid and the Altitude 5 Iron.

I go from my gap wedge to the 58* smart sole I still have my X Hot SW and LW that come with my irons and had the SW in the bag but I found I wasn't using it I always reached for the 58* smart sole and can hit it far better. I'm thinking about getting a Altitude 4 iron it might fill the gap between my X Hot 22* Hybrid and the Altitude 5 Iron.

It's funny you should mention that because I was fully expecting to fit an Xhot or X2hot 4h in front of my Alt 4i/h, but it didn't work out that way. The xhot was exactly the same as the Alt 4 for me distance wise, and the x2hot 4 was only about 7 yds longer, and that was only on the best hit. I was also more consistent with the Alt 4. The X2hot is about an inch longer so I expect it would go farther, but that inch caused me problems vs the Alt 4. I was truly surprised by this. I decided to go with the Alt 3 and see how that goes gap wise (can always have it bent stronger if need be), and maybe look for a 16* hybrid of some sort.

It's funny you should mention that because I was fully expecting to fit an Xhot or X2hot 4h in front of my Alt 4i/h, but it didn't work out that way. The xhot was exactly the same as the Alt 4 for me distance wise, and the x2hot 4 was only about 7 yds longer, and that was only on the best hit. I was also more consistent with the Alt 4. The X2hot is about an inch longer so I expect it would go farther, but that inch caused me problems vs the Alt 4. I was truly surprised by this. I decided to go with the Alt 3 and see how that goes gap wise (can always have it bent stronger if need be), and maybe look for a 16* hybrid of some sort.

I'm thinking the same I had a X Hot 3 Hybrid but I couldn't use it and my partner had a womens X Hot 4 Hybrid I could hit good, so I bought a X Hot 4 Hybrid it was ok but not good I then got an inch taken off it making it the same length as the womens and I can now hit that great about 165-170 meters I used to hit the X Hot 5 iron 150 meters and I hit the Altitude 5 iron 155 meters so I am guessing the Altitude 4 iron would be about 165 meters the same as the 4 Hybrid.

Last edited:
I'm thinking the same I had a X Hot 3 Hybrid but I couldn't use it and my partner had a womens X Hot 4 Hybrid I could hit good, so I bought a X Hot 4 Hybrid it was ok but not good I then got an inch taken off it making it the same length as the womens and I can now hit that great about 165 meters I used to hit the X Hot 5 iron 150 meters and I hit the Altitude 5 iron 155 meters so I am guessing the Altitude 4 iron would be about 165 meters the same as the 4 Hybrid.

That could very well work, the only way to find out for sure is to try it though. That's another bonus with the Alts (imo), cheaper than hybrids at ~90 USD brand new, depending on where you can buy them. Also, they can be bent 2 degrees stronger or weaker to fill gaps if need be.

I have all these clubs, including all the ALT's including S wedge, the 9-S MT wedge, the smart soles and a CG 16 sand wedge. I would recommend having a 54 wedge in between the D wedge and Smart S wedge in my opinion. Although I love my Tudes, I have graphite shafts in them. In the higher lofted clubs, I dont like the feel of graphite shafts, thus I got the MT 9-D irons in steel shafts, which are solid clubs. For a 54 degree choice, I have to chose from the Tude (graphite shaft) and the CG 16. I usually go with the CG 16, more likely due to the Tude SW having a graphite shaft. I also carry the Smart C chipper which I love from 40 yards and in.
Just ordered the D wedge, no brainer there. Now I'm wondering about the rest of the wedge setup. Pondering a smart sole S wedge which may fit in great with these I think, but that is 58*. Pretty big gap between 49 and 58 degrees. I'm thinking about getting the altitude S wedge at 54*, but also thinking of MT, or TT at 54* and any other 54:10 blade style wedge in that spot for versatility.

I know the decision is ultimately up to me, but I'd appreciate anyone's thought on the subject.

I have all these clubs, including all the ALT's including S wedge, the 9-S MT wedge, the smart soles and a CG 16 sand wedge. I would recommend having a 54 wedge in between the D wedge and Smart S wedge in my opinion. Although I love my Tudes, I have graphite shafts in them. In the higher lofted clubs, I dont like the feel of graphite shafts, thus I got the MT 9-D irons in steel shafts, which are solid clubs. For a 54 degree choice, I have to chose from the Tude (graphite shaft) and the CG 16. I usually go with the CG 16, more likely due to the Tude SW having a graphite shaft. I also carry the Smart C chipper which I love from 40 yards and in.

Thanks for the info. What is your opinion of the Alt S?

Nevermind, just remembered I already asked that question and you answered it. Dummy me :beat-up:

I'm getting to think I probably wont like the Alt S. I'm leaning towards something like a 588 RTX 54.

I hate its the club because I think it has more to do with the shaft than the head. They way I have my bag, I only really use my SW for full shots, so for me the steel flex CG 16 works better than the graphite SW. I messed up and should have got the ALT SW in steel. I think it has potential, it just depends what you use the SW for. If it is for full shots, the club has potential. If you open your SW around the green, I would go with a traditional wedge. Its tough because its a tough club to find to demo.

I'm getting to think I probably wont like the Alt S. I'm leaning towards something like a 588 RTX 54.

I haven't played the Alt S but I would definitely prefer something a bit more versatile than the Altitude S for greenside use. RTX 54 in MB or CB is a solid choice.

Found out I can indeed rope hook these clubs, but it turns out it was all me and not the clubs, so it's all good now. What I thought was going to be a REALLY bad range session with them turned out to be one of the best!

Found out I can indeed rope hook these clubs, but it turns out it was all me and not the clubs, so it's all good now. What I thought was going to be a REALLY bad range session with them turned out to be one of the best!

I could have told you that.....I can hook the bejesus out of them lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could have told you that.....I can hook the bejesus out of them lol

haha! It was just my left hand getting to strong. Fixed that and back to dead straight, no matter how much I leaned on them.

Gamed the 4 and 5 of these yesterday thanks to Michigan Slice. I was getting some nice flight out of these guys, with some good height and distance. May have to place these into the mix when I try to figure out what my next set is going to be.

I took my graphite Altitudes to the range yesterday. I owned the steels in the past, but think the graphites are probably better for my swing. The added benefit is that the 4 becomes playable for me, whereas with the steels I just didn't have enough kick.

The pros and cons were as I remembered. The ball flight is definitely straight with minimal side spin. If the ball does move, it is right to left. Distance was good. It was nice to have a 4 be as easy to hit as a 6. I like the minimal amount of offset.

The sound, feel and looks are all about the same as they were in steel. That's to say, they're not the best.

Finally had the right opportunity to add a set of these, and fired off payment for them this morning.

Now the anxious wait for them to arrive begins.

Really looking forward to a Burner 2.0/Altitude/Cobra Bio Cell 6 iron comparison to follow.

Finally had the right opportunity to add a set of these, and fired off payment for them this morning.

Now the anxious wait for them to arrive begins.

Really looking forward to a Burner 2.0/Altitude/Cobra Bio Cell 6 iron comparison to follow.

Congrats! Looking forward to your input.

Can't seem to get the idea of the Alt S wedge out of my head

Hit another couple of buckets today. Easy peasy! I have to laugh at the looks I get from some folks at the range with these clubs, I don't try to hide them. They range from curious to outright pity at times. Some even seem embarrassed for me, not kidding either. Doesn't bother me in the least.

Made me think, these might be the perfect clubs for the hustler. Would probably be easy to get games because folks might think you're a hundred shooter just by seeing the clubs.

Hit another couple of buckets today. Easy peasy! I have to laugh at the looks I get from some folks at the range with these clubs, I don't try to hide them. They range from curious to outright pity at times. Some even seem embarrassed for me, not kidding either. Doesn't bother me in the least.

Made me think, these might be the perfect clubs for the hustler. Would probably be easy to get games because folks might think you're a hundred shooter just by seeing the clubs.

I will probably get some looks from the guys in my league this year. But when I'm kicking their butt I will laugh very loudly!!!

Heck If I had a set of these, all the old coots at my club would be trying to mug me for em ?⛳

I will probably get some looks from the guys in my league this year. But when I'm kicking their butt I will laugh very loudly!!!

Haha, I bet you will!

Heck If I had a set of these, all the old coots at my club would be trying to mug me for em ⛳

That actually made me lol!

I think it is now only 60 or so from the Cleveland website, I put it back in my bag to try to work through my previous misgivings about it. I should just get it reshafted, cause I'm convinced its not the clubhead.
Can't seem to get the idea of the Alt S wedge out of my head

Seems like some stuck up people. I go to ranges all the time, and I never really came across people who cared what I game.

Back