How Did You Lower Your Scores?

TTime

Reaction score
Just like everyone else I'm really trying to improve my game/lower my scores, and the awesome thing about this time of year is the season is just starting :). I'm aware of the problems I'm having in my rounds(sometimes a little bit of everything), and trying to work on them, hoping by the end of the season I'll have a lower handicap and overall just be a more consistent player. How did you all lower your handicaps? Did it just happen, time spent at the range, playing more rounds, or..?
Thanks

Lessons
Learning course managment
Finding equipment that was for me rather than was told it was for me
Working on short game

For me, it was practice, not just on the range pounding balls, but on course practice. Hitting shots from the rough and uneven lies so I became more comfortable in these spots. Hitting shots around the green and putting until each ball was holed out forced me to focus and having to deal with a poor chip and trying to make a long putt for par.

JB basically nailed it. The only thing I can add is learning to play for the score you can get, not the score you want. Bad drive? Punch out and forget about the heroic approach. Approach in the sand? Get it on the green and 2-putt, rather than trying to fly it at the flag.

Putting
Lessons
Putting
Practice
Putting
Course management
Putting
Putting

Sklz gold flex or orange whip. I swear by it now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Getting serious about it helped me the most. That includes some lessons, range sessions and getting out there and playing. I was a once or twice a month golfer for seven or eight months of the year for most of the time I have been golfing. Jacqui and I started playing together in 2008, and it all took off from that point on.

The range has helped me lower my scores. I feel you have to hit balls to practice. I don't feel I can practice certain shots out on the course. It's not the place for it. My game has improved tremendously over the past 3 years. I owe a lot of it to Thp also. Thp has helped realize that the right equipment makes a difference. Plus thp gave me the drive to want to be better so I didn't look like a fool in front of all the MC Sponsors and Thp cameras. I didn't look like a fool because of my game but because of my bluntness a couple times. Still sorry.

Amphibians can Tapatalk... Fear the Frog!

1. First a proper fitting and that included wedges bounce & grinds.
2. Lessons to get me in the best position to score.
3. Practicing with a purpose

These have helped me manage my way around efficiently and brought my scores down.

Once I started practicing with my wedges and dialing in my wedge distances with 3/4, 1/2 and 1/4 shots, my scores dropped like a rock. I went from a 15 hdcp to a 3 hdcp in a year and after about 6 more months I played to scratch.

Practice practice practice lots of 150 and in

Wedges and putter. Learn to get up and down from all kinds of lies and situations and your scores will plummet.
When you are walking up to a green you just missed with a solid feeling that you are going to make par the game just gets a little easier.

I got my handicap down to 9 in two seasons from a 36+, just from a lot of time at the course, some at the range, but most at the course.

Lessons
Learning course managment
Finding equipment that was for me rather than was told it was for me
Working on short game
This^^^^^^^^ also learn how to get the ball in the hole.

Thanks everyone for replying. To try and lower my handicap I'm going to focus on the struggles I have and practice them at the range/putting green. A big issue is finding the green with my irons, so will also be playing a lot, concentrating and taking my time with every shot.

Started playing 16 instead of 18...dropped strokes right away...lol

At first it was short game....now its on mid to short irons

Last edited:
I'd say the thing that has helped me the most is putting a plan together and then executing it. If you have a plan and set times during the week to practice or play, you will see your scores come down.

Although I don't have a hdc yet, I think having a plan helped me progress to where I am now. I spent 2 months learning and practicing, and will try to play 18 every week, in addition to range time. I think it also helps to understand why you are doing something wrong. Education helps!

Work in progress here, but I have been spending more time at the range working on specific things rather than just hitting balls and now that I have joined a club I also have access to more facilities so will be able to spend time working on my short game and putting more than I used to

I also have been considering lessons to get a 'tune-up' as I am fairly certain there are a couple of little things that can be fixed - I know I have a bit of an over the top move at the moment based on my ball striking results

Although you need to get the ball down the fairway, the short game is where you and anyone can drop strokes. Chipping and putting. The better you chip/pitch the shorter the putts will be, the better your scores will be.

Playing more often has got me under 100 most of the time. Now to work on other things.

Playing more often has got me under 100 most of the time. Now to work on other things.

Like getting under 90?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two things really helped me lower my scores.

Staying out of trouble off of the tee.

Short game.

Lessons are also a good idea if you're starting out or if you just think you need a nudge in the right direction.

Short game, though, cures a lot of problems that your long game can create.

Orange Whip, impact ball, swing tips, purposeful practice. Now, course management has moved to the top. Lessons on the horizon.

Back